Home building in puerto rico

Fburgos wrote:

Hi Adlin, thank you for that information.  You mentioned you were in the range of 165-185K for the house.  Curious what square footage of your home is?

Our plan is to do what many others have done.  Buy our windows doors and fixtures. Tiles as well.  Unlike paint, tile can not be easily replaced.

Our house is 45 x 32 with an additional guest room separate. Guest room is 15 x 15 with a 10 x 10 attached bathroom.

We shopped around for all the fixtures and tiles. We end up in San Sebastian at a factory for the doors and windows. My suggestion is to buy additional tiles , at least 10-15% over the square footage. Best prices for bathroom and kitchen fixtures was on line. Not only in price but also quality.

Make sure you are involved and keep track of the work. Even thou we were on top of the contractor, they still made some obvious mistakes.

The main reason we purchased all the construction materials was because I have heard of contractors that use leftover materials, specially iron bars, you won't notice the difference now, but in 10yrs when all that rebarb start corrosion and breaking the concrete you will have an expensive repair in your hand. We wanted to prevent this from happening.

Rey,

I find this very interesting concept/method of construction.  I need to learn more about the process and costs.   They claim faster, cheaper, better, but is it for real??

One of my friends is an engineer, he has a favorite quote when asked about a project cost estimates.  He says  "You have three possible choices;   fast,   cheap,   and good...you get to pick two".    :lol:

I like some aspects of the building system for speed and efficiency.  We need honest reviews from actual users and buyers.  Is this type of construction recommended for a coastal/beach location?

I do not see any reason why beach front would be an issue. Many Villas and hotels are using the system. If it is good enough for a hotel it is good enough for my place. Obviously getting a thumbs up from some of their clients and looking at the work done would be a requirement.

The main savings come from not waiting for concrete blocks to be laid one at a time, instead you use the panels which are light enough that they can be carried by a single person, so you save on labor. Also blocks can not be done when raining, the panels can be put in place and tied in the rain. Once the outside panels are in place you can star inside work even if raining for days and wait to do the outside cement work when the rain stops. The other obvious advantage is that the place gets good insulation so air conditioners do not have to work as hard and it retains the cool longer. Obviously if you open the window, all bets are off on the insulation. But it should still be quieter.

As to cheap, I expect the panels will cost more than bricks.

I like that the panels can be cut to any shape and also that you can melt the spaces for conduit and pipes. When using bricks you have to chisel into then so you are damaging the original work, run the wiring then fix the stuff you broke.

I believe on the system.

I am willing to consider it.  Like I said, need some reports from people who have built a house using this system.   Would love to see the finished product first hand.

What your price on building your home on the boonies? How was the process? Did you live in the states while the built your home? How long did it take?

Sitka wrote:

I am willing to consider it.  Like I said, need some reports from people who have built a house using this system.   Would love to see the finished product first hand.

If I go that route which is very likely I will invite you to my place once we are settled. We will have a spare bedroom anyway.

What is the name of this type of construction using panels?

Search for M2 panels
I posted several links about it.

I found a group in Rincon that  work with M2 panels. I'll be Reaching out to them next week with plans.
Thank you

Yes, I noticed them also.   I'm working with an engineer in PR and will ask him about the system.  I like what I see so far using the M2 method.      Seems to have several advantages over block construction.

Yeah, they attracted my attention months ago.  I'd be interested to see what you think of them.

M2 looks real good to me, there are several other "Foam" wall companies, not just M2, at least 2 other operate in PR. But the key is to use a crew that is used to work with those materials, it is a lot faster to put up the basic frame then they can move inside and do the rest without worry about the weather.

That's interesting,  I just spoke with a group in Rincon that claim to be the only ones on the island working with M2 panels.  I've searched online for others, but came up empty. Is that possible?

I'm not married to either type of construction.  M2 may be quicker, but speed is of no concern to me. 
  It'll be interesting to see what they come back with as guesstimate. I'll compare this to 2 other contractors working with more tradition methods and see where we net out.

I asked my engineer about the M2 panels.  He indicated that he knew a couple of builders that had used them.  He told me that he had used similar method of reinforced concrete on foam on a recent project in Quebradillas that he designed.   But he thought M2 was costly and that you must still construct load bearing structural elements regardless.   

I think the only way to decide which way to go would be have the plan bid both ways by the builder - block  v  panels.

I may be building sooner than planed if my lots are cleared for me by Irma.

That's my plan, price it out both ways and see where we net out.

Irma being a Category 5 will clear out plenty.  But hoping it goes easy on them.

Big question we have to identify is if the M2 and other types of contruction are safe in a cat 5 storm.

Sitka wrote:

But he thought M2 was costly and that you must still construct load bearing structural elements regardless.

Curious.  I found myself wondering why wire mesh-reinforced concrete (or ferrocement) would require additional structural elements.  As I mentioned to you in a PM Sitka, my only question/concern was the static load of the panels.  What spans are possible, and how much weight can they hold?

Anyway, I've been poking around the internet, and found this site which is not quite M2, but is close enough.  Polystyrene panels encased in wire mesh, over which is applied shotcrete.  Structural, load-bearing panels are part of the package.

You might want to share this with your engineer.

M2 says you can build a 4 story house

http://costabravaconstructionpr.com/project-photos.html

Lots and lots of fotos from an M2 builder from Rincon, not sure if they are the Co. that Mr. Burgos had contacted. If not, a number of builders in PR claiming to be the only one who is doing it.

I admire the brave souls that endeavor a new construction project anywhere, and in PR maybe a tad more.

That is the company I was referring to.
FYI, this group was requesting a preconstruction bid.
At this point, I'm only looking for a ball park. So I passed on that.

I need to speak with at least 3 different builders before I move forward with any one of them.

Could be they want to make sure you're serious.
I am serious, but that would mean I'd be paying each builder for an estimate?  I think not.

I'll just go with the old school builders. It's a proven model that has stood the test of time.

What I meant when referring to a "pre construction bid," I was referring to a fee for this estimate.

Fburgos wrote:

What I meant when referring to a "pre construction bid," I was referring to a fee for this estimate.

A few contractors, and only a few, are generally willing to give you a rough estimate of construction costs.  With such an estimate, they will want to know the total square footage, number of stories, number of corners, and the quality of the fixtures.  They can then estimate cost per square foot.

A square building with a simple roof and stock (not custom) fixtures is cheapest.  A building with many corners and split levels, with a complex roof and high-end custom fixtures is most expensive.  This estimate will necessarily be "ballpark", and will take the contractor little time or effort.

A pre-construction bid is much more involved.  A basic floor plan is provided to the contractor, and the builder will specify the doors, windows, lights, flooring, counter-tops, etc.  This is a VERY specific estimate of the cost of construction.  The builder will generate a bill of materials, itemizing all of the items that will go into the construction.  This takes a great deal of time and effort on the part of the builder, and a fee for that is not unreasonable.

Agreed, a fee is not unreasonable for a pre-construction bid.  At that point it's a detailed itemized bid and takes a fair amount of work. But I need to know you're the one.

For now, I just need a ball park.  I have a design I'm working with. 1700 sft and one level.
So, I'm probably looking  at anywhere from $75-$85 a square foot?

Or, just have them build the main structure including windows and doors.  So, that should be less less per square foot, $65?  The finishing touches to come later. Tiles, and fixtures.  I'm a graphic designer and my wife is an interior designer. So, we'd prefer to handle that part ourselves.  Tiles can look amazing or can destroy the entire look of your home if in the wrong hands.

we plan on having a face to face with each builder, and have a look at homes theyve built in the area, references and lastly, pick one and fingers crossed.

From what Adlin20 has calculated, $75-$85 is in the ballpark, and may be a bit high (not necessarily a bad thing).  Then again, all of us considering building are looking for more reports on the process -- the costs, the time, and of course the experience with builders.

Adlin also seems to have purchased the fixtures himself, which can be a substantial cost savings.  Don't forget that if you let the builder buy all of the millwork and fixtures, you'll be paying 11.5% sales tax on all of his purchases.  That adds up quickly.  Internet purchases of much of this can bring the cost down.

Don't forget that if building in concrete, you will need to lay out all the utilities in advance, as they will get routed through the walls.  While the builder may be willing to run the wires to work boxes and the plumbing to open drains and stubouts for supply lines, you will still need to know exactly what's going where. In addition, final inspection will require the installation of fixtures, simply to test the electrical and plumbing systems (and HVAC if included).  As such, it might not be so easy to have the builder create a simple box, a blank canvas on which you create later.

Fburgos wrote:

Agreed, a fee is not unreasonable for a pre-construction bid.  At that point it's a detailed itemized bid and takes a fair amount of work. But I need to know you're the one.

For now, I just need a ball park.  I have a design I'm working with. 1700 sft and one level.
So, I'm probably looking  at anywhere from $75-$85 a square foot?

Or, just have them build the main structure including windows and doors.  So, that should be less less per square foot, $65?  The finishing touches to come later. Tiles, and fixtures.  I'm a graphic designer and my wife is an interior designer. So, we'd prefer to handle that part ourselves.  Tiles can look amazing or can destroy the entire look of your home if in the wrong hands.

we plan on having a face to face with each builder, and have a look at homes theyve built in the area, references and lastly, pick one and fingers crossed.

Remember that the design you make is going to be an approximation if what you want, the plans need to meet code. If you make it using software that can export the drawing to the software they use, they can impost it then make the changes required in code. If they are using a good system you can walk around your virtual home in the computer before construction begins. Since fixtures and furniture are to scale a virtual walk thru will let you see if you want to make changes. The good software has different surfaces like wood, marble stones and all sorts of things that will let you make a final decision on the place, then you find the company or contractor to make it happen.

My friend it sounds to me that you are in the same shoes as the one that wines for a $30.00 compute repair.  I've bought several houses and moved around the island from coast to coast and liver in the "Cordillera Central" I've had three houses built for me and neve had any problems with the construction at all.  I asume that if you don't contract people that are licensed to do the work you are bound to have problems in the future.

dramon772 wrote:

My friend it sounds to me that you are in the same shoes as the one that wines for a $30.00 compute repair.  I've bought several houses and moved around the island from coast to coast and liver in the "Cordillera Central" I've had three houses built for me and neve had any problems with the construction at all.  I asume that if you don't contract people that are licensed to do the work you are bound to have problems in the future.

Since you build 3 houses, maybe you can talk about the construction cost?

Rey,

First off, thank you for all the knowledge you have shared.  I've read a number of your posts as I have been creeping around on here for months.  I have been looking at the same building systems myself and have concluded that's the way to go if/when I ever make the leap and move from TX to PR.  Do you have any insight into the SE side of the island?  I've heard very little about it

The SE of the Island around Humacao, Yabucoa, Maunabo, Patillas, is not as developed as Fajardo and is more country. That area was hid hard by the storm and there are large pockets still recovering from the storm. Before the storm it was rather pretty, not sure now. Housing would be cheaper there as there will be less Expats, so expect more need for Spanish than in Fajardo and the rest of the east of the island. Here is a web site that is good to compare the different towns all over the island with each other for things like poverty levels and other statistics. http://welcome.topuertorico.org/exploring.shtml

As to method of construction, my mind is to investigate better the use of M2 panels and other similar brands, but I have not given up on regular cement blocks. A lot will depend on cost and flexibility. While the panels allow for faster construction, I have heard some numbers on square footage cost that I do not like. This could mean prices for Americanos versus us natives, so I have to check and see.

We are finishing our design for building a new house that is beach front near Aguada.  I want to get estimates from a couple of builders in the area. I was wondering if anyone else can give me an idea of a recent cost per Square Footage. 

I have talked with a builder that has a great reputation and has been around the area for over a decade.  I am waiting for him to talk to his supplier of the M2 Panel systems, but he mentioned it will be well over $100 per square foot to simply shell the property, meaning no inside finishing will be done.  I was expecting it would be closer to $65 to $85 per square foot.  I am confident in this builder, but the cost seems very high.

Can anyone shed some light on cost per square foot

Thanks

Sounds expensive to me, did you look at traditional cost for concrete blocks?
BTW, I would not use a builder for M2 panels unless that is the majority or only method they use. The savings in M2 is in labor and time to build, somebody not intimately familiar will cost more and the work may not be as good.

They have building with M2 for over a decade and has a crew that have worked  together for the entire time.
We will be getting other Estimates from traditional builders.  It is important to us that we have confidence that the builder will not cut corners, but it also needs to be affordable.

Yea afordable needs to be front and center, lots of people raising prices.

I have my construction design completed.  I am wondering what the process is like to get a building permit.  Also how much is the fee to get a Building Permit in Aquada?
Thanks

Has anyone built a new home in the past year?  I am looking for a rescent price per square foot for a cement home.  Thanks

Here's another option to traditional construction
https://hivecubepr.com/home

xiomara629 wrote:

Here's another option to traditional construction
https://hivecubepr.com/home

I lived in what was essentially a conex (the Army calls it a CHU, "Containerized Housing Unit") from July 2007 to July 2008.  No thanks, too many memories, few of them pleasant.

To Coach's question, I too would like to see some recent costs/sq ft. for cement construction.  My suspicion is that costs are high because of the higher prices for concrete simply, as well as the increased demand for building materials post-Maria.  In addition, demand for skilled trades has increased post-Maria, so contractors can charge more for their labor.  I expect labor charges to decline as the island recovers from Maria, but concrete prices probably won't drop that much, given historical trends.

Another article on broader construction costs, over time.

That is very interesting.  I have considered doing a container home.  I will look into these company more.  Thanks for suggesting them.