Should i be worried about ebola virus?

Hi!
Tilda here from Sweden!
My boyfriend is from Dakar, and we are planning to go there in october. Should i be worried about Ebolavirus? The "scary" journalistik right now makes me a bit nervous, and so is my parents. My boyfriend is not worried at all, it is just me..

Hi Tilda,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I have created a new thread with your questions on the Dakar forum in order to give it much more light and to encourage members to interact with you.

i will advise you to have a look at the Senegal newspaper online to know more about the situation there.

Thanks

Priscilla  :cheers:

Hello Dear

Yes its safe in dakar as there is not yet any ebola case in any part of senegal. So dont worry. You can travel/

Raj

SURE, THEY NICE ,HOMELY

Why would you worry about the Ebola virus? The only way you contract the disease is through DIRECT PHYSICAL contact with someone who is infected. Unless you're a healthcare worker then you have absolutely nothing to worry about. There has only been one reported suspected case of Ebola in Sengal, a man who crossed illegally into Senegal for Guinea that had contact with Ebola patients in Guinea. Your chances of simply "bumping into" that person in Senegal are less than winning a lottery twice in a row.

The Ebola virus has been around for decades now and as of yet there is no proof that is an "airborne" virus (i.e. one that you contract by being in close proximity of someone who is infected, breathing the same air), but rather that it is spread through direct physical contact and contact with body fluids just like AIDS is spread. While this year's outbreak of the virus certainly is the largest and probably larger than all others put together there is still no need for panic. So far, everyone that has contracted this disease has had close physical contact with an infected individual, their corpse or has been a medical professional treating infected persons.

Hope this will put your mind at ease. Just remember it is the media's job to sensationalize things like this, it's what SELLS THEIR PRODUCT.

Just think about this... If Ebola was as contageous as the media makes it appear to be, would any foreign country allow repatriation of one of their citizens who is a healthcare worker that has been infected with the virus?????? Of course they wouldn't, and medics have been repatriated to the USA, UK and Spain for treatment. Do you think a foreign government would risk this if there was even the remotest chance that they'd be setting off an outbreak in their own country? Clearly the answer to that is a resounding NO.