Visiting student Health insurance to get Maltese ID for Utilities

Hello there, a visiting student, studying at the University of Malta on a three month course but staying here for ten months needs to get her ID card. She cannot get a bank account or Melita packages without it. ID requires health insurance. What sort of health insurance does she need? She has Danish health insurance that covers her in Denmark and here if she is on "holiday". Should she be looking at monthly payments for private health insurance for the duration of her stay?

http://www.um.edu.mt/imp/facilities/hea … _insurance
as an EU student you should be entitled to health care with your ehic card and id card see link above

if your a student studying for 3 months or more you can apply for residencey for study purposes with your enrollment letter etc
health insurance can be purchased from places like bupa etc.. (google for companies)

you can get melita without id , you need passport or home country id proof of address and a deposit it required
the same with a bank account home country id is all thats required they will then request a banking reference

(however she should be fine with her home bank account)

asfaik students are not allowed to work in the first year of study  so how would she be supporting herself for the remaining 10 months ..

she has her own resources as far as I know. Banking is awkward without a maltese ID as my son has found out. He was not allowed to use his passport to open an account, his maltese ID was lost and replacement was not allowed as he had to apply for the new ID. As residents here for six years already the card we were applying for was a little different I think. We are in the process of getting our new ID's sorted out and as I work and pay social security the health issue is covered. My young friend however was told she needed health insurance to get an ID card and Melita in Marsascala at least can only offer limited packages to her without a maltese ID card. I will recommend she apply for the EHIC health insurance or look at private insurance which I believe she has been quoted 20 euro a month if those are her two options. Thank you.

the ehic is only valid as a tourist for three months and if your living and studying you cant be a tourist

toonarmy9752 wrote:

the ehic is only valid as a tourist for three months and if your living and studying you cant be a tourist

according to the university of malta website :

Students from EU and EEA member states and Switzerland have access to Maltas state health care services upon presentation of an original European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) certifying their entitlement to health care under the social security / social insurance legislation of their country of origin, together with an identification document providing proof of their nationality. Prior to arriving in Malta, such students should contact the social security / social insurance office of their country of residence to apply for the EHIC. Further details on this matter are available from:

ah maybe it doesnt apply to students...

hmmm, a spanner in the works. Thanks for that input, I will look into helping her get private health insurance then. Does anybody have any recommended companies for doing that? I can obviously find many on google but there may be one that is used to dealing with this scenario more than others, one that people have found useful?

before committing to what may be unnecessary expense  - check with the entitlement office first

Hi,

as has been said the EHIC card only entitles you to 'free' health coverage whilst travelling in an  EU country for up to 3 months and holding health insurance  from another EU country.

So applying for residency with an EHIC card as health coverage is a contradiction in itself and will not be accepted by the DCEA .. The University of Malta's website only refers to the process of immatriculation itself for which they accept the EHIC card as proof of coverage. This has nothing to do with applying for residency if studying for more than 1 guest semester in Malta. For more details they refer students back to their homeland.

In fact there is another condition in the usage of EHIC cards ! This is the fact that they have to be still valid through contributions to the issuing country or insurance, irrespective of any expiry date on the EHIC card. The coverage is not for 'free' but paid for by the issuing country or insurance company after Malta sends the bill to them. If a EHIC card is used although the membership with the issuing entity does not exist anymore ( no residence and membership in the NHS in the UK or not paying contributions to an insurance company in your home country) it is fraudulant and can cause major problems not so much in Malta but in your home state. Due to the frequent usage of EHIC cards it is not possible to check each case but they do make checks and if you happen to get caught it will be expensive.

Students and other holders of UK passports are lucky in so much as they can get health coverage through the RHA agreement. Students from other EU countries will have to provide proof of alternate health coverage when applying for residency to study for more than 3 months.

Cheers
Ricky

Agree Ricky,  expats here as residents on RHA entitlement are not covered by their EHICs from the UK if travelling,  Malta will not issue them. They will get caught out if they try to use them, even applies to visits to the UK and not covered in UK as they are not resident there but here.
One thing I have is a bank account that includes travel insurance, costs a little extra each month but does provide cover outside of Malta, including UK. One point to note though is that if my body was required to be repatriated under the terms of that insurance, it would be to here on Gozo.
I feel this is  an issue many are not aware of and when living here, enjoy themselves so much, that they are not aware of such matters and do not consider 'worst case scenarios', including burial which can be VERY expensive, assuming they can get a plot somewhere.