Camping sites somewhere near to beach!

hey! guys,
Me and my 2 friends were planning to go for camping for around 2-3 nights during 29aug - 1sept. we had planned out trip to con dao island, but when we tried to book tickets, it seems no seats were available. so now we are looking for any new place to go. can you guys recommend me any place not far than 150-180kms from HCMC to go for camping.?? on quite beach would be great to stay far from noisy HCMC :D
our Plan is to go to any place by Motorbike, we will rent tent from hcmc (already found place to rent it), stay there for 2-3 nights. food, we will try to make barbeque or can eat near that place. Simple!! :)
and if somebody has similar plans, it would be great to join together. or somebody has experience doing this, would be great to share your experience.

anyways thanks in advance!
Sunil

Camping - as in sleeping in a tent, by Foreigners, is illegal in VietNam. Apparently land doesn't get a Registration Book unless it is built on.

What happens is that the local Cong An rolls around on his motorcycle after midnight then, to his shock and horror, finds you sleeping rough. He then arranges for a hotel for you to stay in, and the hotel owner expresses his 'appreciation' to the Cong An for the business.

Ever been to HA TIEN? Great little fishing village with a busy, busy, fish market. And I know a hotel that has a 2-bed room for three for VND250,000 (and I don't get commission). If you want info, PM me.

hey!! thanks for reply, hotel is not a problem. but all i wanted to do Camping, but wanted to arrange something by our-self.. but after reading your comment, its illegal here to do camping by foreigner, make me think again! :(
in case, i will have any plan for Ha Tien, i will surely need your help.

Another things, we could do is put tent on any private hotel or resort's beach and ask them to allow with any fees. is that possible too.?
btw there was one place near vung tau, it was near to any waterfall, and we put our tent and didnt have any problem, and before we asked that restaurant. in return we buy few drinks from there.

thanks anyways!

Ha Tien has MILES of beaches - many alongside the road!

Do you have a GPS receiver - not a smartphone pretending to be GPS? (Something with a 'Go To' feature on it)

Camping on a developed property is OK, usually, it's a matter of the Cong An ignoring you. In small hamlets and villages they have a Cong An 'agent' who does registrations - in case you ever stay in a small hamlet or village.

No, i dont have any specific GPS receiver. i have this phone, people called it smartphone. :D
do you have any idea about Ho Tram Beach.?
i just asked my co-workers but they dont have any idea about camping, but they do suggest me this place. its near to hcmc and vung tau.
but yes, now i know i have to avoid small villages, this is what i was going before, any small town or village near beach.. :(
i checked Ha Tien on google maps. and it seems a bit far (around 300kms), as our plan is to go by motorbike and we have only 4days.

sunil21 wrote:

i checked Ha Tien on Google maps. and it seems a bit far (around 300kms), as our plan is to go by motorbike and we have only 4 days.

350 kilometres, give or take. I left HCM at 05.30H and was in Ha Tien for lunch. There again you might drive slower than me. Remember, take the Highway 1A out of town NOT the car/truck highway towards My Tho! And try to keep in that right-hand lane.

Don't forget to take a cushion, rear end pins and needles might grab you before you arrive. Also carry a bottle of gas/petrol ... in case.

Using Google maps is messy as they refer you to every monument, pagoda, etc. - OK if you want the sights but for travelling a pain. Too much detail! Do you have links for the Google Route Planner?

Vung Tau and Phan Thiet are really dirty-crowded beaches and anything around Can Tho, too.

Carry spare lights (lamps), too. My headlight popped and I fixed it road side ... and 7 kilometres later went through a CGST road block!

Remember Phan Thiet CGST are VERY hot on Foreigner documentation (VN licence, proper insurance, copy of ownership/registration - they love seizing Foreigner driven motorcycles)

Hi,

I think if you go 2-3 days, you can go to Vung Tau or Ke Ga (Binh Thuan)
https://www.google.com.vn/search?q=mui+ … mp;bih=667

Phan Thiet beach is better than Vung Tau. If you dont mind giving me your email,  I can show you some pictures of Phan Thiet and Vung Tau and some other nice places. One troubled me when I was in Phan thiet is mosquitoes. They are very big.

Regards

Jaitch wrote:

350 kilometres, give or take. I left HCM at 05.30H and was in Ha Tien for lunch. There again you might drive slower than me. Remember, take the Highway 1A out of town NOT the car/truck highway towards My Tho! And try to keep in that right-hand lane.

unfortunately i have yamaha nuovo 2 and its not so good for 300kms continuously running over 80kms speed, it wont go over 65-70kms/h in anycase.. poor me! 

Jaitch wrote:

Do you have links for the Google Route Planner?

No! i dont know about it, i just use google maps for directions but i know its not always good, i remember i tried 2 times for monkeys island and lost both times and come back to HCMC.. :D

Jaitch wrote:

Remember Phan Thiet CGST are VERY hot on Foreigner documentation (VN licence, proper insurance, copy of ownership/registration - they love seizing Foreigner driven motorcycles)

it might be pain, i have my own motorbike with blue registration paper but not in my name and No vietnamese license. i do have indian license(in english) for car + gear motorcycle, but i am pretty sure, its useless in any case.
let see, how i find any suitable destination.
:)

Dejavu.dot wrote:

Hi,

I think if you go 2-3 days, you can go to Vung Tau or Ke Ga (Binh Thuan)
https://www.google.com.vn/search?q=mui+ … mp;bih=667

Phan Thiet beach is better than Vung Tau. If you dont mind giving me your email,  I can show you some pictures of Phan Thiet and Vung Tau and some other nice places. One troubled me when I was in Phan thiet is mosquitoes. They are very big.

Regards

but did you also have camping there.? or you stayed in Hotel or resort.? i have visited vung tau and phan thiet last year. but it was by tour company. so i didn't liked it that much.

Hi,

Thanks. I receive your email.

I will send it as soon as I am home.

About going to Phan Thiet or Vung Tau, I was in both resorts and hotels. It is so romantic to walk alone in the morning.

I also drove to Chau doc, near Ha Tien from HCM. Seems there is no policemen bother me while i wore like beggar. It took me 6 hours driving like Jaitch said. I just drove 60kms at max. You can book Phuong Trang bus and take the bike with you. When you arrive, just enjoy driving with your friend. Kien Giang really has many islands to play around.

Regards.

thanks Dejavu.dot, i will consider Kien Giang fir sure..

@All, who write me valuable suggestions.
i did my first camping in Vietnam. it was on Con Dao island. and it was worth going there. had a great experience and people there are more friendly than anywhere else in vietnam. So Yes! you can Do camping in Vietnam.

sunil21 wrote:

So Yes! you can Do camping in Vietnam.

NOT legally. Had the Cong An found you, you would have had to move.

I spent overnight in an empty Kep Railway Station a few years back and early in the morning a Cong An came by, saw me, and woke me up. Hie found me a scruffy hotel that was worse than the station.

i dont know it was legal or illegal, but i stayed on beach on Six Senses Resort. and before setting up my tent i asked the people who works there. and all they said yeah, no problem! but they do ask us that setup your tent outside the boundary of resort. and we did. they were quite helping too.
but i wonder, i didnt saw any police cop in Con Dao while my 3 nights stay there.. and now i am looking for go there again, such a peaceful place than noisy hcmc.

Many things are illegal in Viet Nam it all comes down to who you deal with.

In relation to the beaches in Vung Tau being dirty,not true. If you know where to swim it's fine,at the Northern end of the beach is Paradise resort,the water and beach there is very clean.

yes, i agree! its depends on luck and people you are dealing with. and at least on that place, it was all ok. and its not in vung tau. maybe its in vung tau- ba ria province. but its island "Con Dao" 12hour ship for vung tau or 1hour by flight from hcmc. and just for your reference i am leaving out small video where you can see how clean water it was on beach and how quite beaches there..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE0LjCwRgdk

and i didnt see clean beach in vung tau (maybe dont know much) but i did see in Ho Tram near Vung Tau.

colinoscapee wrote:

In relation to the beaches in Vung Tau being dirty,not true. If you know where to swim it's fine,at the Northern end of the beach is Paradise resort,the water and beach there is very clean.

First you say the beaches are not dirty, then you say if you know where to swim.

Should you venture out very early in the morning you will see civic workers dragging magnetic bars, with rags over the working end, along the beaches. They do this to pick up drug users needles and stuff.

These civic workers wear leather boots when doing this work so they don't get stabbed in the foot with blood-tainted needles.

You said the beaches in Vung Tau are dirty,that means all beaches, as usual you are wrong. I basically said if you know where to swim it's fine, same as if you know where to eat you can not pay through the nose.How much time have you spent in Vung Tau. I swim nearly every day for the last two years, so gives me a bit better insight then you.