Do's and don't do's in Dubai

Are you living in Dubai? We need you to share your experience of the local customs :)

Is it difficult to adjust to the local customs in Dubai?

Could you please share with us a list of the do's and don't's in Dubai?

Thanks!

First of all, I would recommend not to leave either your contact numbers, email adresses nor whatever MSN, Yahoo or Skype coordinates on the forum!

Don't forget that people don't need to be member of Expat.com to read your messages! :/

So it's better to be cautious and this would definitely avoid to receive spams or whatever unwanted harrassements in your communication means, especially the girls! :rolleyes:

This is my 2 Fils worth! :D

don't stock alcohol in your place if you don't have liquor license. sometimes authorities do a surprise visit...failure to show them them the license would mean trouble...

- Many people go to the Hole in the Wall - Ajman or the Baracuda Hotel UAQ from Dubai, to purchase alcohol products but without licence. Bur then, you have to transport the alcohol back to Dubai, you must pass through Sharjah. If you have an accident or are pulled over by the Police and the alcohol is discovered you will face problem, so provide the liqour licene.

- Sharjah Alcohol Licences do exist as of March 2010, and if you want to get it, you have to be non-muslim, and live or work in Sharjah.

- Don't eat or drink in public durig Ramadan.

Do's

- go for some sport (scuba diving, paintbowling...)
- take a trip to desert, espacially in winter days
- from Dubai you can easoly reach many destinations: middle east, far east, Africa, Europe...so, when you have days off, visit Lebanon, Petra, Syria, Goa...

Mila_777 wrote:

Sharjah Alcohol Licences do exist as of March 2010, and if you want to get it, you have to be non-muslim, and live or work in Sharjah.

We had an alcohol license in Sharjah back in the '70s (by the way I found it back while packing to come to Dubai); in those times it was a small black book :)

Mila_777 wrote:

PDA is not allowed.

What you mean by that?

PDA - Public Display (of) Affection

Yes, I heard that in '70s and '80s there was a different situation in Sharjah, then under the influence of Saudi they accepted quite strit rules, but in recent years Sharjah became more relaxed, that's why they renewed Alcohol licence.

Public displays of affection between couples should be limited to holding hands. This is a Muslim country and when in Rome...

When in Dubai, do NOT cross the streets without a pedestrian.  I have a friend who was caught Jaywalking in Satwa area.  He was crossing when two (2) young CID dressed in casual wear called and demanded his ID. He has to go to the police station to collect his ID with a fine of Dhs 200.  So watch out and be careful.  :mad:  ITS your safety or your ID...

I don't think its too hard to adapt to the local culture of dubai  since the city has lost its identity ages ago. Dubai now is a multi-cultural  city so its much easier to relate to your community residing in the country. In case it was more like Sharjah/ Abu Dhabi or Ras AL Khima, the scenario would be different.

Some of the stuff  irritating the locals are:

Too much revealing clothes in public places
Signs of affection among couples
Seeing a local guy hanging out with an expatriate lol :) ….as far as I know its not allowed for non-married couples to be hanging around in sharjah.

NEVER drink and drive!

ShaunDubai wrote:

This is a Muslim country and when in Rome...

You win the prize for "Oxymoron of the Week" :lol:

Hi,

I have been here for 2 months now and it seems quite cool, actually I can compare it to France and say it is almost the same except some laws on booz. Otherwise it is cool down here.