2018 Malta Mover

Hey Im Tom and 31 years old. Me, my girlfriend (22) and our baby boy (5 months) are looking at moving to Malta in 3/4 years time. The reason for this is because our baby will be older when we move and hopefully more tolerant of the Maltese hot weather. Plus it gives us lots of time to save up enough s and for us to do lots of homework on where to move to in Malta. We live in Weybridge, Surrey and currently considering St. Paul's Bay. I hear the schools are good and that there is a Brit Expat community there which we would like.

We holiday in Bugibba/Qawra every year and must say we absolutely love it, Our next trip is a week on the 1st of November 2014.

I currently work in Admin/Business Development for a demolition company in London and looking for similar sort of job role when we finally move to Malta. Also football has always been a passion of mine and would like to coach at a good level in Malta so will be looking at either doing my coaching badges in Malta or England... again got to do my research.

We would welcome any advice from anyone who has had similar sort of job, age, kids, etc. Thanks :)

hey welcome to the forum , i commend your planning :)
lets hope that the Uk remains in the EU so that its easy for you to move to malta ...
there are lots of admistration jobs here , i would perhaps advise using the next few years to learn maltese and italian if possible as these would stand you in good stead. Alot of the Admin jobs here require maltese

when you come over in november , i would reccomend looking at some of the places near the areas you like to see whats availble  property wise ,

if you need anything feel free to ask

Thanks,

Will take you advise about the learning Italian and Maltese.

I like this site. The forums seem to be a lot of help to people. Malta is like 'home away from home' to us.

Hi Tom
Me and the hubby live in Woking and moving to Malta in a month. Im a novice at this but learning a lot.

We took a trip for 5 days and looked for accomodation generally renting between €600- €800  and have found a lovely place a bit Inland in San Pawl. Lucky to have also found a lovely owner of a property that was totally kitted out with everything you could ask for so we dont have to ship loads of stuff over. She has been out there for 42yrs and has a wealth of knowledge and contacts for us which is great.

both of us have spent many years in the hospitality trade but I also run my own business form home. Everyone was very helpful. Agents are a bit tricky but I cant fault Quicklets.com in Malta they were very accomodating and even helped send my hubbys C.V out to their contacts. The extra charge of 18% Vat was a bit of  a shock when we came to putting the deposit down as we hadnt been inofrmed of this until we agreed the property but ai put that down to the agent being a little inexperienced.
We are taking a pet with us so if you have one there are rules, complete innoculations including rabies jab and you ahev to wait 30 days before the passport for a pet can be signed off and they have second set of jabs. Plus depending on your travel arrangements you need to let the authorities know at Farm & fisheries malta when the pet will arrive and they need to greet you to sign said pet into the country.
We are roadtripping by car purely because we have time to enjoy ourselves and didnt want to stress the dog out on a plane. its about €1000 to travel with fuel and tolls plus overnight accomodation if you choose to stop off and food. Planes are much easier of course.
As for shipping I fpund a great compnay called Trotters independent Traders who are
ike the argos of Malta and do a personal shopping experience so you can still feel like home. They will even cloth shop for you and ship it over. ( clothing and electrical items) is expensive I believe.
The biggest expense for us is taking a uk car into the country but there are places you can hire or buy out there. I cant say much about children out there because we are child free now but it is a clean, safe environment the people are really friendly and there are some very good family areas you can locate too.  We chose an all inclusive apartment to try out for a year whilst we find out feet out there and would recommend anyone do the same.
Signing for. arented property is so much cheaper and hassle free, for us I couldnt quite believe how easy it was compared to home.
Great your are planning, we did the opposite and just utilized what we have and did it but then we dont have nay large commitments
Good luck with the plans and if theres anything we can do just shout!