Cost of Living in Lagos Island, Nigeria

Dear Friends,

A big hello to you all at the outset …

I am a Senior Indian HR professional with close to 20 years of rich corporate exposure. Recently, I am being offered a job in Lagos, Nigeria. Well, I have no question about the organization as it is known to me and it is indeed a big MNC, widely reputed. Friends I am also aware about Nigerian Social infrastructure and other unwanted disturbances may cause trouble. I would not like to bother you to raise those issues. My enquiries are as followings:

1.    Please let me know what would be the monthly expenses behind food per month for 2 adults? I can understand this varies depending on individuals. But to have a standard daily living what is required?
2.    If we plan to go out inside Nigeria for 2-3 days what could the cost?
3.    If we need to dine outside in a good restaurant once in week, what would be the cost?
4.    What could be the cost of garments? I mean, any idea about shopping (minimum, as again it depends on individual) cost, if we do shopping once in month, I am talking about purchasing garments.
5.    What is the cost of petrol/diesel out there?
6.    Any idea about cost of electronics goods?
7.    Monthly electricity cost
8.    Monthly Gas Charge
9.    Monthly mobile charge
10.    Well, if an employer provides all required in a month (like, Furnished House + Car with driver & oil + Maids + Electricity + Gas + Water Charge + Laundry + Journals, periodicals + may be all others), then also how much USD or Local currency is required to have in hand on monthly basis?

Thanking you in advance.

Welcome to Expat.com, ghosharindam3 :)

Hi Ghosh Arindam, R u in Lagos ? how do u find the city, commuting,shopping and cost of living ? I am also moving to Nigeria in Feb. 2011 and like to have some details mainly about personal and family security, cost of living in comparison to Kol/Del/Mum - pranab

Hello,
I am currently in Lagos on my job assignment. This is my first time being here and also in Africa in fact. Stories that I heard about Nigeria were never good before coming here but in reality, Lagos is just another city like anywhere else. I feel safe being here even though I still feel the worry to venture outside after dark. There are visible number of foreigners, Chinese, Indians and westerners too. Apart from being just like any other city, our perception of Africa is still quite true. Poverty, poor drainage system, frequent power failure, pollution due to too many  generators etc are a daily event.Malaria is a big worry here even if we take the malaria prevention pills regularly. Coming from a country where these things are not so common, it was a shock to me at the beginning. However, after 2 months staying here, I get used to it and even do some jogging activities near to my Hotel in the afternoon. But what really surprised me apart from the above I have mentioned, the price of daily necessity like food items are quite high for a country that has a very poor infrastructure and high poverty level. You can find a few KFC restaurants around but McDonalds has not open a shop here yet. No big shopping centres here and nothing much to look forward to in the weekends. Safaris or any other natural attraction is not anywhere near to Lagos even though petrol is very cheap at only less than 50 US cents/litre. Therefore, if you plan to work, it is fine because security is good but to bring family over for a visit, it is not worthwhile to be honest. I hope these info can be useful for those planning to come here.

Hi,
Is 2k USD + 125k naira a good saving potential in Victoria Island, Lagos?

@KKR,
Yes, the amount is good for Victoria Island, and generally most part of Nigeria. It is a middle income salary and should make you okay

Hi,

I am new to the forum and am thinking of opening a business in Lagos or Abuja to sell travel related products to the local people.

DO you think that this business will work and where do Nigerians like to take their holiday. Is it within Africa like Kenya, S Africa etc or to Europe like London, SPain Italy.

You hear so many rumours about security is it safe to walk the streets by day and night.

Thanks

Vic

hi to all

i am an Indian civil engineer with 8+ years of exp. got a job offer from Nigerien company Stallion Group of Company,with us $2500 per month as overseas salary and us $ 600 as local salary with acc, car,house maid, elect,water expenses by company with no family.
       so my friends i kindly need ur information about cost of living in logos and my salary is worthful or not. plz guide me
  thank you
   savvy

Hi savvy,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I hope you get replies very soon  and if you have more questions, please start a new discussion on the Lagos forum.

Thank you and good luck
Christine

savvy333 you need to budget your housemaid on cost of food :)

Hi,
I'am an Indian & would be moving to Brunei shortly. What are the living expenses out there?

1. Furnished Housing for a 2-3 BHK per month?
2. School fees?
3. Utility expenses?
4. Used cars costs?
5. Fuel expenses?
6. Food & grocery expenses?
7. What would be monthly expenses for a family of 2 adults & 1 child?
8. What should be savings potential?

Hi, Is 2kUSD as overseas salary and 145K Naira as local salary with free accommodation,car,driver,petrol,kids school,power bills,gas bills,medical bills on company's side enough for a family of Me,my wife,5yr kid and my mother????

I am expecting to save the entire overseas salary.

Plz suggest...

Hi Vikureti, Sure, I manage quite some expatriates from India, Pakistan, Egypt etc with similar conditions over the year and they are comfortable!

Hi frds m raj and m a chartered accountant, i got an offer from platinum group of companies to work in nigeria and the salary offered to me is USD 1800 p.m (USD 1000 overseas salary + USD 800 local salary). i would lik to u ask u guys over dere some questions like is the nigeria safe for expats?? is the salary offered to me ok?? What is the average cost of living over dere?? Should i move to nigeria with dis salary???

Please do repl me at [email protected]

Regards,
CA Raj

Hi All,

This is really urgent to decide for me. Please help.
This is Neeraj thinking of living in Lagos,nigeria. My employer is Dana Group, it is offering me USD680 + 95K nairo as per month salary. Please let me know if it is sufficient to stay there. Also about Dana Group, if it is well known and reputable company to provide securities and other important arranngements.
Thanks for your response.
Neeraj

Yes, Dana group is well-known and a successful conglomerate.

Which division are you to work in? I think the offered salary is just a little low. But Nigeria is a very good place to work and safe. There are lots of expats especially Indians around!

OK,im reading about people coming to Nigeria for work on this thread.what is the problem with hiring local people? my friend cant find a job without having degrees and experience,same as here.how are they going to get the experience?and if its so poor whats with the cost of living?i want to move there but the ore i read the more scared i get that i wont be able to live.

Hello katchley7595, why don't you start a new thread on the Lagos forum with your questions on work? This will allow better interaction as this thread title is only about Cost of Living in Lagos Island, Nigeria. ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie