Should I buy a car or bring a car

I plan to travel light when I come to Belize bringing only a few suitcases.  However I wonder about transportation.  Is it affordable to buy a car in Belize or should I have mine shipped from Houston TX?

Hello tanyaddennis

I invite you to check out the prices of cars being sold in our Cars for sale in Belize classifieds section to know if it will be best if you brought yours or buy one here.

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

it is not possible to answer your question without knowing what car you have, because when you bring your car you will have to pay a tarriff/duty.   Many factors influence the cost of the tarriff.    The govt does not want us to bring old junk cars here and they will charge massive amounts for big, new expensive cars.    The roads here are beyond terrible so a vehicle must have a strong suspension and big tires.    Mid size Pick Up Trucks and SUV.s are most desirable.   Tiny little cars will be shaken to bits in months.   Unless you come here under the QRP program, where you are allowed to bring in $15000 worth of personal belongings including a vehicle.   Generally speaking, if you have a smaller 4 cylinder truck or SUV , the tarriff is not so much.  It can go to %66 for a new 8 cylinder SUV.   gas is expensive here, about $10 a gallon, so fuel economy is a real factor for many people.   I have friends who brought their full sized SUVs, paid thru the nose for tarriff,  and are happy with their choice, because they are really big guys & do not fit easily into to small or midsize vehicles.   This last week I spoke with a man who had a new ford ranger, quad cab, that he bought in Belize City for $34,000 USdollars.    We shipped our 10 yr old Ford Escape (6 cylinder, small SUV, 2 wheel drive) in via Florida with some other personal property.  We used a broker to negotiate customs.   & it was a good choice for us.   The car is easy to work on when it needs repairs.  Parts are easy to get.   You do not want to negotiate customs yourself.     People who choose to drive here via Mexico, get a horrendous shock when they are going to drive over the border to Belize.  They are at the mercy of the Customs and Immigration departments.    they have full power of discretion to assess tariffs.     Best Luck

4 cylinder truck will be the cheapest to import. Newer vehicle with will be a smart choice since repairing a vehicle is difficult and sometimes not so perfect

Since all vehicles in Belize have had to be imported, I assume that one is paying the tariffs regardless of whether you bring your own car or buy one in Belize?

We will be driving through Mexico and are in contact with a customs broker there to help us bring our things through Mexico. Are there similar brokers in Belize who can provide a similar service for us when we cross into Belize to minimize any arbitrary tariff assessments?

I can give you the address and ph# and e mail address of my Customs broker in Belize city

Thanks Spiceman, I would appreciate it.

CAtoBZ
Tony Herrera
[email protected]
Hope this helps

I'm sure it will. Thanks again.