Living in Makkah and Commuting to Taif

Hello,

I currently reside in Taif with my family and work at the university as a professor. We are considering moving to makkah to be closer to masjid al haram, friends, various activities and institutions. This of course would mean that I would commute daily to work about 1hr+.

Any perspectives on the best places to reside in Makkah for proximity to schools, number of expats in the area, convienience, etc?

Anyone with experience commuting to/from Taif?

Thanks

Unless you are going to send your children to Saudi schools, you won't find any schools for expats there.

actually I did find one set of international schools there: http://www.fbfschools.com/en/ and we have some malaysian friends that send their daughter to an american school in makkah, though not sure which one.

So I think there are a few new ones that have started recently.

So far I only know of Al Furqan school for boys and Al Batool school for girls

@ sharif01!
In my opinion, commuting daily will not be easy. If you can find someone else doing the same and you can manage to share the drive, then it could make some sense.

Otherwise it is better to stay in Taif and do commute once or twice a week to see your family/friends.
Good Luck!

Engr. Muhammad Hussain

sharif01, thanks for the info about the school, I stand corrected!  Good to know.

no problem, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Muhammad thank you for the advice -- insha Allah we will keep it in mind as we consider our options.

if I may ask, living in taif how often have you made it to the  المسجد الحرام‎, ... what is the procedure?

Alhamdulillah we usually make umrah at least once a month or so. Some people in Taif go on a weekly basis because by the shortest path its only about an hour to get there. There are two roads leading from Taif to Makkah: Sail Road and Hada road. Hada road is shorter but its a bit of a windy, mountain road. Sail road is longer but kind of goes around the mountain so its less steep. You can look it up on google maps: sail road is #40 and hada road is #15.

There are many taxis or even busses that would take you down from Taif to makkah -- you just have to know where the taxi stand is or bus station. Thats probably the easiest way if you arent familiar with the route.

Assalamualaikum sharif01
Have you started commuting taif to makkah daily?
I am working at makkah and thinking of shifting to taif for school and commute to makkah for work. Any suggestions or advice welcome from all.

school in taif? like what for example? -

i have a few people at my job commuting daily, they dont seem to mind it too much, wallaahu alim

As I am an Indian there is an Indian embassy school in taif which i visited yesterday  and no proper Indian school in makkah. Hence the idea  and the post.

makes sense, I guess. well, did u mind the drive to the school when you visited? I guess that can be one of the  indications

Well the drive was pretty ok as the roads are so fine and not much of traffic too as compared to thatiof jeddah. But again I am thinking can Ianage it on a daily basis. Not sure. Confused.