Drivers license

Hi,
I have heard that you must have residense in Costa Rica to get a drivers license does anyone know if that is true?Also if you have a Cr license already can you get it renewed or do you have to have residense to get a renewel?
I sure would appreciate anyone who could help me figure this out .
Thanks

Hi,
I'm answering my own post.
I called the main number at COSEVI and they assured me you do not need residency to renew or get a new drivers license.All you need is a valid passport.
There was some confusion as to weather you could do this at BCR but, definatly at any COSEVI office.I will try the bank route and let you know if it works.
I hope this is helpful to someone.

Yes you can drive around C.R with you passport and a valid license from whatever country you are if you already have C.R license and need to renew you can make an appt with BCR. If this is your first time it called 'covadilacion'... well something close to that and you need a medical exam that shows your blood type, a copy of passport and license. Cosevi isn't very reliable on the phone if you go in person you have a better chance of getting informed. Laws have changed recently so I don't know if you have to be a resident to actually have a license.