Moving to Oliva, Valencia Nov/Dec 2014

Hello there

I am hoping that some of you will be able to advise me on a few things.

I am due to make the move over to Oliva in Spain. I have found myself a job, and so am emmigrating from Ireland.

I have a dog, and am wondering what the best thing to do would be. Do fly over myself and arrange for a 'carrier' to bring my dog over? Or would it be worth my while buying a car (r hand drive) and driving the 2 of us over? But, if I do this, then I will have a useless car for my needs in Spain! Or, would it be better for me to fly over, buy a car, drive back, pick the dog up, and drive back to Spain???

Just unsure what to do.

Also, can you advise me on the best pet insurance options in Spain?

Any advice you can give me, would be much appreciated.

Thanks a million

Hi. If you buy a car you should look for a Spanish registered one, left hand drive. They ARE on sale in the UK and Ireland. Otherwise you will have to pay E1,000 to register the car in Spain. The dog needs to be chipped I think,with a doggie passport. Good luck

Hi,

Why don^t you just bring the dog with you on the same flight ? I had a fox terrier when i was living in Normnady, France and i brought her with me and they charged me an extra ticket and i carried her in a special carrier which i bought in Rouen and it cost around 63 €. By the way, am Mick and hope i have helped you a little bit.

Sounds like Mick's suggestion is a good one, but it depends on how big your dog is.  I would think a big dog will have to go in the hold.  Suggest you contact the airline company you will be using for advise.  One other suggestion is to hire a small van or a car from a two way hire company.  Don't know if there are such things in Ireland but if not perhaps you could ferry to England and pick one up. 

When we came here permanently we hired a big van for just four days and paid a fee for it to be collected by a local branch of the hire company and taken back to their Spanish depot.  It worked out a lot cheaper than keeping it till we went back and could take it back.  Try looking for one way car/van hire on a search engine.

Lastly if you feel you do not want to drive all the way, (although it may be a bit late now) you may be able to get a ferry from Portsmouth or the south coast of England to Santander or Bilbao, so skipping out the length of France from the drive.  Some ferries have cabins which dogs are allowed in or if not some have kennels on board.

Sorry, that should have been one way hire company, not two way.

Hello campogirl,
This was a good point and i was only thinking of my own experience with a Foxterrier.I apologise.It all depends on the size .The ferry option to Santander is a good option , too.

Birhan wrote:

Hello campogirl,
This was a good point and i was only thinking of my own experience with a Foxterrier.I apologise.It all depends on the size .The ferry option to Santander is a good option , too.

Yours was a good suggestion as it only means a few hours in flight.  But size of dog will be important.

How hard did you find getting a job in Oliva ? I ask this as I am planning to move there myself. I don't speak Spanish.  I am a little worried about finding work. Karen

hello Campogirl,

yes, size of dog is a handicap.I was trying to find out if they do have an insurance for animals here in valencia but the truth is i have not been able to get any offical replies.I think we do not have this here.

Miss karen,

I do not know about Oliva but in valencia it is not so easy but you can still find something in teaching in private academies. When i came to Valencia from Normandy i started in a couple of academies ( that was years ago, though) and finally i am now teaching and working on my own ( private tuition ) and i cannot complain.

The best thing would be to find a good job before coming to valencia specially if you are travelling with your family.If you are coming alone then it is not a bad idea to give it a try and it will always be a new experience.

Language is not a real big problem as you will be learning the language here and in less than a month you can maintain short conversations etc if you want I offer to help you( online ) with the basic things before you come to oliva

If i hear of something here , in Valencia, i will let you know.Wish you all the best

Mick

kawales wrote:

How hard did you find getting a job in Oliva ? I ask this as I am planning to move there myself. I don't speak Spanish.  I am a little worried about finding work. Karen

Hello there

Only just reply now, as only seen your post now for some reason.

I was over in Spain in May, and was offered interview in July. I returned in July for interview, and got the job. I work in the hospitality industry and can speak conversational Spanish.

Maybe you have changed your mind. I don't know. But if you've no responsibilities etc., then I'd go for it. You never know what might happen. But, be prepared, Oliva is not a resort as such, it is an all year round working Spanish town.

If you still come over, I'll be there from Mid-December, so feel free to get back in touch.

Bye for now
Laura

Thank you Laura. Please feel free to add me as a friend. We are in the process of selling our house at the moment.  Once that is sold we intent looking into a house, then work.  Me myself and son intend moving. The sooner 5 he better I feel. Stay in touch and thanks for the advice it all helps

That's very kind of you to offer to help. I will take you up on that. Please add me as a friend so we may stay in touch.  Many thanks karen