How to send money abroad?

Hi all!

I would like to ask if anyone knows how to send money abroad? I went to western union today and they said that in VN, you can only accept money grom outside :(

I needed to send money in PH anf it's quite urgent, my vietnamese friend said i can try bank transaction.

Anyone of you tried it?

Thanks in advance!

Veronica 😊

If you have a credit card, then you can do it through MONEYGRAM.  The money can be picked up at a couple of banks that accept MONEYGRAM.  :D

Try ACB bank on Le Hong Phong street ( Near Nga Nam round-about). The staff there is good, they will show you how to send $ abroad.  ;)

Good morning. You can Western Union out but at only a few banks. You will have to have a record of where the money came from. A paper trail. ATM receipts or salary from a job.Give me a call and I.will try to help you . 01228862678

Thanks for the info Mia but i font have a credit card.  😩
maybe i will try in a local bank here. 😁

Sorry for the typo error. I mean i DONT have a credit card 😋🙈

Thank you! I will check ACB Bank in Le Hong Phong Street. 😊

Hi Gary! What do you mean by "good record where the money came from"?

Thanks for the response 😄

I sent money WU to Phil at BDM or B something bank on Tran Hung Dau before. I had to show where the money came from.  VN is harsh on sending money out. They let me send 100 dollars without the proof but they did ask for documentation first. You can only take out what you bring in unless you have a job with valid work permit,

Thanks for the info Gary! That kinda sucks for me because i don't have a job yet, it's my 4th week here in VN 😩🙈

Do you have any other options?

Thanks xx

Depends on how much. You can go to the bank and try. Maybe they will let you send a hundred or two.

Thanks Gary! I will check in the bank today 😁😁😁

I've helped people before by them giving me cash and me transferring money from my U.S. bank account into their home account. If you can find an expat from you home country, who also has an account with money (difficult because most are broke),  this would work.

You could also get an international money order and send it home via UPS or FedEx. I don't think any bank will let you send money without, at least, a work permit to show them.

Adhome01 wrote:

I've helped people before by them giving me cash and me transferring money from my U.S. bank account into their home account. If you can find an expat from you home country, who also has an account with money (difficult because most are broke),  this would work.

Good idea.  There might be a business opportunity there.

I use a COURIER.

Buy the CASH (notes) from the JEWELLERY stores on LE THANH TON (when looking from the FRONT of BEN THANH MARKET) which are on the opposite side of the rear of the market and slightly to the right.

I then take the notes, insert ONE piece of alumin(i)um cooking foil in the notes (not around). Place the whole lot in a letter, or similar, wrapped around the money and despatch via JNE Courier from the MAIN POST OFFICE opposite the Notre Dame Cathedral.

DECLARE contents as DOCUMENTS.

VN Customs doesn't usually inspect documents sent out of the country.

Western Union and Moneygram are US banks and ALL transactions are given to the US government. VN banks usually demand proof of where the dollars originated.

Thank you soo much for the info. :)

Do you know where is UPS or Fedex here in VT? I tried sending a package lastweek going to Philippines and it will tale 3weeks to reach them! I was like OMG why?? Vietnam is just 2hours and 45mins by plane so why it's taking 3weeks to receive my package :'(

So you mean i'll wrap the cash amount by foil? And declare as a document and send at home? How many days it will take? I'm quite scared because they might detect it in the scanner :(

Don't wrap it in foil or it will be opened for sure. Just wrap it in a few sheets of white paper, then put it in a regular envelope and you'll be fine. You'll be putting it in a cardboard mailer so there isn't much worry about someone seeing what's inside.The fastest shipping will get it to the U.S. in 3 to 4 days. I've sent dozens of shipments using regular airmail (the cheapest way to send) and it's always arrived in exactly 10 days, delivered by United States Postal Service.

Edit: I guess there isn't a UPS or FedEx in VT. If you haven't already go to the VT post office. I think it's on Le Hong Phong Street or intersects with it.

money sending is quite risky isn't?

wag masyado padalos dalos po

Did you ever check at BIDV bank with Western Union and ask about sending?

Adhome01 wrote:

Don't wrap it in foil or it will be opened for sure. ... I guess there isn't a UPS or FedEx in VT. .

I said insert a piece of aluminum foil, nothing about wrapping it.

UPS and FedEx will be surprised to learn about your other statement. My office is in BMT and both these outfits service us.

garyww wrote:

Did you ever check at BIDV bank with Western Union and ask about sending?

Western Union and MoneyGram are US banks and all transactions are reported to Big Brother. BIDV are agents as WU and MG are unable to operate as banks.

They also comply with VN law, which is why it's best to visit VietComBank - they are an authority is shipping legally acquired money legally.

Jaitch wrote:
Adhome01 wrote:

Don't wrap it in foil or it will be opened for sure. ... I guess there isn't a UPS or FedEx in VT. .

I said insert a piece of aluminum foil, nothing about wrapping it.

UPS and FedEx will be surprised to learn about your other statement. My office is in BMT and both these outfits service us.

Inserting a piece of aluminum foil inside is no different than wrapping it. It will be opened 100% of the time. You'd have a better chance of getting something through writing, "Please don't open me" on the outside.  :lol:

BIDV does send money through western union. As long as it is not a large amount. She originally only wanted to send some money home for an emergency. She can go there and send it,

garyww wrote:

BIDV does send money through western union. As long as it is not a large amount.

As long as the sender meets VN banking rules, i.e. can prove she came by it legally. Emergency doesn't enter into the equation.

Adhome01 wrote:

Inserting a piece of aluminum foil inside is no different than wrapping it. It will be opened 100% of the time. You'd have a better chance of getting something through writing, "Please don't open me" on the outside.

I speak from experience - and I know why one layer of aluminum foil works.

I have sent money out WU from BIDV bank without having to show where it came from. A few hundred dollars is no problem

But they asked me for some working documents and i haven't found a job yet. :/ is there other way to send money? Is there a door to door transaction here in VN?

Hi iamunicaija,

We have a "remittance person" here in VT who facilitates sending money to PH. It's very convenient and the money will be available in PH the same day you remit it. What they do is once the money is received here in VN, the remittance company in PH will then send the money to the recipient via M Lhuillier or WU whatsoever or deposit it in the bank whichever you want it. It is rather convenient than waiting few days or paying additional fees. They charge $4 for every $100 you send.

I hope this helps.

Cheers!

Hi Chummy!

sorry for the late reply. May i know the contact number or location of the remittance person you're talking about?

Thanks a lot xx