I need a bank!

Hi all,

I'm about a month away from arriving in Mauritius, and I have to say I can't wait!

I will, however, need to set up a new bank account, and I've been told by my bank in the UK that I need to find the name and address of the bank I join *in advance* of flying out. I can't start looking while I'm out there, because my UK bank won't send the letter of reference I require to set up a new account in Mauritius.

Does anyone have any recommendations or words of warning? I assume that some banks in Mauritius, just as in the UK, are best avoided, but I don't know which ones!

Thanks

MCB. you can bank with them. I like their services.

MCB or SBM are the best two. MCB have a huge ATM network as well. Personally, I would choose MCB.

Hi there, I would suggest either Mauritius Commercial Bank ( MCB ) or Barclays Mauritius. I have accounts with both banks, but live in the UK ( my wife is Mauritian ). MCB is by far the most popular, and has branches and cash-tills all over the island, even in the most remote places. Barclays are good too, the staff in both banks are always friendly and helpful. The only difficulty you may have is opening an account from Ireland. I had to attend in person with my last 6 months payslips, and my passport. Once your account is open though, both banks have internet banking which we use from home in the UK to transfer money. Hope this helps.

Hi I would recommend MCB  in Mauritius, but I believe it is now against international law to open an account if you are not in that country. Also when you open the account you will need a letter of introduction from your bank. I did all this last year on moving from the UK to Mauritius. My only words of warning are with the Mauritians don't pay them any money till the have done what you want.It is lovely here and very interesting. Colin