Getting Driving License How Hard or Easy It Is?

Hi,
My driving test is on august 29th.
I want some good tips for it.
Anyone who knows what to do or what not to do please let me know!

Hi Hamad302

Please help us help you by going through at least the first few pages of the Forum. This topic was very recently covered and hence it is unlikely anyone will take time out to write you a new response.

For your convenience I will list out all the recent discussions on this topic below:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=391819https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=391843https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=388810 (this directly answers your question)

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=388551

Please let us know if you have any follow up questions.
Otherwise, good luck with you driving test, and let us know how you fare.

Tips

Drive properly, follow the law (even though there isn't really one here) If you fail then you weren't ready to take your test in the first place

May not be totally relevant as I converted my Dubai licence to a Bahrain one so no test for me.  However, I did take the test for a Dubai licence ages ago which is supposed to be the toughest test in the GCC....maybe thats why you can't convert any GCC licence (As an expat) to a Dubai one but all other countries can be converted.  But I digress.

Most important thing; show confidence, remember the rules and play act.  Get in the car, put on your seat belt, check the rear view and side mirrors, look to see if doors are closed, if reversing look behind you, make a show of regularly checking rear and side view mirrors while changing lanes, don't drive too slow or too fast, always stop at a stop line, don't irritate the examiner but don't follow his directions blindly i.e. use your brain not to violate rules as they may try to trick you etc.

When you get your licence; never do the above ever again........which is apparently what every driver in Bahrain does judging from the horrible driving conditions here :)

Great Tips man Thanks. I'll try my best. Wish me Luck!

Good luck!

I hope this post reaches hamad before his test. I passed my test just couple of days back and that too at first attempt, Alhamdulillah. Here are the pointers you are looking for:

1. The test is divided into three parts: i) inside the centre, ii) outside, and iii) reverse. I believe that if you commit a major blunder (e.g. the car stops in the middle of the road), you will fail then and there, and the examiner will not waste his time to test you on remaining parts. But I could be wrong on this, I am not sure.

2. The examiner is a busy person and will NOT test your driving skills for more than 10 minutes. That means, he will not test you for every road sign, every turn, every roundabout, etc. I know this because I actually visited the centre 2 hours before the scheduled time and saw several applicants going to and returning from their test within 10 minutes. Unfortunately, 9 out of 10 failed. Again, I know because they had this blue paper in their hands (apparently the examiner's notes on the applicant's shortcomings). And oh, do not forget to bring copies of CPR and Passport with you, along with originals, in case you pass the test otherwise you will not be able to get your license card.

3. You should know what to do when sitting on the driver's seat. Get your seat belt on, adjust the mirrors, and seat, and check for handbrake, etc. He will ask you to drive the car and inside the center. Note, that the driving test vehicle is parked outside the driving training ground but within the premises. And you get inside through a "give way" sign. So obviously make sure that you look to your left when entering (left, in this case only)

4. A checklist for you:
i) you should know how to stop your car at the STOP sign on the hill and then restart from there (i.e. pull up your handbrake, make sure car is on first gear, set rpm to 2+, release brake, and drive on). You should always take the middle lane when heading towards hill, unless told otherwise;
ii) you should most definitely be comfortable with roundabouts. That involves knowing which lane to take when going straight, left, right, or double left. There is a double right as well but I wasnt tested on it. That also involves knowing when to turn the signal when using roundabouts. Refer to the driving rule book for this. You cannot go outside the centre without going through a roundabout;
iii) always make sure you are on the right side of the road. So whenever you are about to turn, make sure you turn to the right.
iv) when outside, the examiner will most certainly ask you to keep left. Give the left signal, check for cars behind you, and move into the left lane. Make sure your speed is right. You shouldnt be driving on the main road in 2nd gear at a 20 speed. When you touch 40, go into 3rd gear. When you touch 60, go into 4th gear. Keep below 80. You will soon find a roundabout ahead (near Ramli Mall) and the examiner will ask you to go double left, which is a  u-turn. Again, make sure you know which lane to chose, what signals to give, etc. Obviously, while approaching the roundabout, decrease your speed.
v) Reverse parking test is taken outside the training ground but inside the premises. Reverse is tricky if you only started learning driving. I had driving experience of about 3 years, so I drew upon that to make sense of this. Otherwise, I continuously failed each and every time when I followed my instructor's method (which was to see the mirrors). The way I reverse park is that I see the parking space and markings myself (i.e. by turning my head and seeing it behind me). And I only look into the mirror when I am very near to the parking. It is important to know when to straighten the wheels and park the car within the space. There is no other way of learning how to reverse without practice.
vi) Make sure you keep a watch of cars approaching you when turning into a road etc. It would be a major blunder if your driving is potential of incurring accidents. Be vigilant of cars.

Lastly, and most importantly, pray to Allah SWT. Ask Him for His help. I have heard how many highly experienced drivers failed their tests, Just as much as your driving skills are being tests so is your ability to keep calm and focused under intense pressure. The pressure of passing on first attempt is enormous, because you have already waited five months for this date and you most certainly do not want to wait another three months for another attempt. So again, pray for success.

Let us all know how it went for you

I must really commend criticmag for the detailed post of his experience at the driving test. Thank you very much!  :top:

And congratulations on getting your license in your first attempt!!!   :one:one:one

Safe driving!!!

Dear criticmag,

Congratulations on clearing it on the first attempt!! and thank you for a detailed post on the experience it would be useful to many!

T&R
Arjun

criticmag,

Thumbs Up .. !!! :)
Congratulations  on getting license :)
Thanks for sharing your experience with us ..

How did ur test go Hamad?? Hope u did pass it..