Moving to Scotland

Hi!  My name is Carolyn,  my husband will be retiring very soon.  We are putting our house up for sale, and we would like to retire to Scotland.  We need to know what all it takes to make a move to Scotland.  Any information that any one can give me will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

Hello Carolyn,
First of all, welcome to Expat.com! :)
I read in another topic you started that you complain about people not helping you and that's how I ended up in this topic. I see you posted on 22nd. You know: many people are working and don't maybe come daily on the forum!
Maybe you should have a little patience and meanwhile browse the forum's previous discussions to see if the infos you are seeking are not already there or at least to find some useful tips?
Cheers
Arlette

Thanks

Could you eventually tell us exactly which information you need?

As previously said. It would be helpful if you explain your plans a bit more. Do you want to move with all your stuff? Are you keeping furniture so you need a removals company, or can you do it with suitcases? Scotland is pretty big as well. Do you want to be in a wee village or fancy a rather big city close to commodities? Do you have any hobbies that you would like to carry on practising? Moving to Stirling would be a bit silly if you fancy sailing, for example...

Those details would be helpful. As for moving to Scotland you do not really need much. I guess you will need to register in the closest surgery, open a bank account and register in the council. Those are the things that I would say come first. Do not think you should apply for a National Insurance Number since you are not going to work/get any benefits, I believe...

I hope this topic gets back to live again, since is pretty interesting, tho.

E

k

kennyrs wrote:

k

wow that's the shortest post of the week !!!