Working in malta

I am fire protection engineer and qualified health and safety advisor my wife is a bsc Hons midwife and reg nurse what would be the chance of the both of us finding work, what's the wages and cost of living. Looking to relocate fed up of being cold and just working to pay the mortgage etc any info would be great thanks tony & Jo

Lol, fire protection and health and safety advisor :) in Malta  :lol:

They are in desperate need!

Joking aside, there is quite a process for your wife to go through, getting her registration over here, others can advise but be aware, it can take months! Also, Malta is a small island and they not only provide free education, they also pay students to go on and do a degree. So, any nursing jobs will go to the Maltese first.

As for health and safety, I presume you have visited Malta before??

That's a quick response thanks for that. I have visited but by your words I guess in industry anything goes. are there no governing safety bodies or standards to work to .

Tojo2912 wrote:

That's a quick response thanks for that. I have visited but by your words I guess in industry anything goes. are there no governing safety bodies or standards to work to .

Hi, yes, I am sure in bigger environments, there are safety standards and governing bodies. Don't get me wrong, Malta tries, it tries very hard and some places are heading in the right direction but the Maltese are willful and if what they have done for generations has worked and no one died, then there's no problem.
When people do die through health and safety issues, they cancel the local yearly feast in respect and carry on regardless.

This will mean more to you. I've just googled a bit, lots of info for you to look through, giving you a better idea of what is or isn't in place/standard....Maybe you will find an opportunity there?

No one care's about safety or health issues here in Malta . Sad .....

But, try Alberta. They are always looking for workers to install safety systems and fire alarm systems, especially now that the burglaries are becoming so frequent.

As already remarked , nurses and midwifes are highly regulated ( in plain English ...jobs go to Maltese first and then maybe to foreigners). But there is a shortage of nurses so it should work out in the end. But start learning Maltese !

Cheers
Ricky

Thanks for that link will read more in depth later it looks like they got there data from claims for social security if that's applicable in malta. A lot must go unreported as is the case in any country. Regards tony.      :cheers:

Thanks for the info Ricky. Anybody else's opinions would be appreciated

The government Gazette is a good place to start eg, https://www.gov.mt/en/Government/Employ … AC-MX.aspx

This is where you will see posts for midwives too...You could also try writing to see what nursing positions are available and get the registration process started.

Government posts can have long closing times and interviews can be at VERY short notice (a day.)

Whilst it is ideal to get a job before you come, sometimes maybe only one of you will and then you will find it easier when you are here...Good luck!

Caroline

I am a Registered Social Worker and wonder about the work opportunities in Malta when we move there, hopefully within that setting ( Childcare, Children's homes and the like ) Any suggestion where to look ?

Thanks

Carl

Check the government gazette online....Can you speak Maltese?? You will need it for that line of work for sure.

Appogg is the social services here. Children's homes are run by the nuns mainly.

I am in the process of learning the language, thanks for your reply ! :top:

Junkyard Angel wrote:

I am in the process of learning the language, thanks for your reply ! :top:

Well done, check my post again as I have edited it!