Learning a new language

Not at all difficult, as we realy want to learn

Fred wrote:

about 40, I found more and more girls were saying, "get lost, creep", so I needed to find a new source of girls who were willing to go out with me without me having to actually pay them...

I started to meet Chinese ladies - very nice Chinese ladies. Without the (lurid) details, let's say the incentives to master Mandarin were in place, so I got to a reasonable standard quite quickly.

I agree with the tea maven of Bangkok (Report #32) that it depends on the person.  If someone has been keeping their mind intellectually active and not clouded by substances, their brain connections will be cleaner and language- and other learning will be easier.  Studies have shown that language-learning delays the onset of Alzheimer's.

That said, you can't take anything away from Fred's point:  having a strong incentive!

cccmedia in Ecuador

Hey, I tried to learn Spanish but I found it so difficult. . Hehe

You are right dude,but if you try hard nothing is impossible...........
Life is a learning process..........

Regards,
Anil

I like to learn Vietnamese

I think for me it mostly depends on the learning method and the people who you practice it with. Like in my case I have been here in Norway for a year, while waiting for my visa i tried self studying and eventually i felt it wasn't working for me because i was alone and shy to try it with actual norwegian people with the fear of being ridiculed(even if i know they won't make fun of it). Until august 2015 came and i was able to take the language course for residence permit holders which places me in a class which are all new here too that has the same enthusiasm and learning phase as me then everything felt so easy.

Attending class for a month now i can say i can see a progress in myself because when i sit in a bus now i get the general topics of what people around me are talking about now hahaha and i can say my responses now in norsk.

So to sum my opinion about language learning, it all falls down to how motivated a person is and what method to learn matches them :)

James wrote:

I learned Portuguese when I was 52 years old....After 13 years in Brazil I read, write and speak the language better than 70 percent of the Brazilian population, I teach the language to English speaking expats and even do complex translations English<==>Portuguese....

I don't think anyone is ever too old to learn a new language if they put their mind to it...

That's the spirit we like to see over here at the Expat Café.

Anybody buying into the idea they're too "matured" to learn their new country's language .. or they'll probably get around to it some day ... or any of 33 other exciting excuses .. is just committing to disempowering beliefs.

cccmedia, hablando español en la capital de Ecuador

Wow... At 52...
I guess being just under 52, not all hope is lost for me for learning Turkish..  : )

Good morning everyone!
Z

cccmedia wrote:
James wrote:

I learned Portuguese when I was 52 years old...

That's the spirit we like to see over here at the Expat Café.

Live your expat project without any stress thanks to advice from expats

OR