Currency conversion on arrival

Dear friends

Appreciate if you could guide me on the currency that I need to bring upon arrival.
I am coming from Singapore, advise me whether to convert Singapore dollar to Bahrain dinar (1700 SGD for 500 Bahrain dinar).
Or do you advise me to carry US dollar currency upon arrival and then to change USD to Bahrain dinar in Bahrain.

Kindly advise the cost effective way upon arrival.

Thanks

Regards

Anton.

Hi Anton. Glad to hear of your travel plans.
Sing Dollars can be exchanged here in Bahrain, but my preference would be to carry US Dollars when coming in. The exchange rate between USD and BHD is fixed at 0.377. Exchange houses maintain a small spread between their buying and selling rates to make some money (generally between 0.376 and 0.378).

Upon arrival, you will see a "Bahrain Financing Company" kiosk as you walk out of the arrival hall after the baggage claim and customs. You could exchange your cash there. Same rate as outside so not to worry about losing out on the rate.

Best wishes!

Dear Farhaz

Thanks a lot man for your support with rich information.
Check with you on arrival how to get the telephone line connection. What ID proof I need to provide. Also advise me which mobile operator best for getting connection which also facilitates competitive tariff for the overseas calling.

Is there any facility to take mobile connection with handset along with the connection with X months of installment arrangements.
Kindly advise.

All new workers get registered with the LMRA counter in the airport. This is done before immigration stamping and stuff. I would assume you too would do the same if you have your work visa with you.

If this is indeed the case, the LMRA authorities at the airport will give you a VIVA sim card. Its part of their service. So you need not worry about getting a phone line in the first few days.

You can think about a proper connection once you settle down.

PS: side note -Just check with the HR at your new employer if you should go to the LMRA counter when you arrive or to the immigration counter. Reason: some employers prefer to get the LMRA registration done after you start work.