Packing up and moving the end of July , whats it like in Mauritius

Hi Everyone

I thought I would ask you guys some questions,or suggestions 

Myself and BF  have packed in all our worldly possessions  and saved up some cash, and the end of July yep in like 2 weeks time , where off to start a new life somewhere

thing is we dont know where yet, We were thinking Mauritius One of many in a long list  ,

We both have never been to mauritius, Im from the uk   but have been living in South Africa for a really long time, BF has never been out of SA.

Anyway I wanted to know if ou guys have any suggestions on where would be  nice to live,

We like night life , but also quiet , and coming from SA  we are quite paranoid about safety.

Wherever we live has to have a hi speed internet ( work, we both design )

Also what about payment mediums like paypal etc ? as many of our clients are in the USA and usually pay our salaries this way

we're also very out doorsy we enjoy most out door thing and love the beach ,  I have visions of sitting in teh sun on a hammock, lol

anyway
any help of suggestions would be awesome

thanks in advanced

Zoe

Sorry to burst your bubble ( and don't take it in the wrong way) but I believe that you should, at least, read up on the island's rules for residency and work before deciding to put up your hammock ;)  .

https://www.expat.com/en/guide/africa/m … _work.html

You will be allowed in ( max 6 months) on a tourist visa - no way to set up shop w/o a work permit.
http://www.gov.mu/portal/goc/compdiv/file/g_occup.pdf

Thank you for your response , I actually forgot to mention I have an occupation Permit.

again thank you in advance

You certainly have a very interesting multi-criteria problem to solve.  Some thoughts:

High-speed Internet - well that is relative. There are fixed and mobile broadband services available, the former peaks at 2Mbps for ADSL.  WiMax services are also available.  Connectivity will be location dependent to some degree.

Night-life - Grand-Baie.  Others would be able to better advise, but for many places in Mauritius, night-life usually ends quite early.

Quiet-life - Just head out of the big cities and the tourist centric areas such as Grand-Baie.  Black River and Tamarin are wonderful places to live and ideal if you want to maintain close links with other South Africans.

Crime - On the increase a little, particularly in urban areas, however certainly incomparable to SA or the UK.  It is usually restricted to specific trouble spots. A little common sense goes a long way on this.

...Uk is very depressed at the moment. Uk Jobs..what jobs? Try a warm island first and then this cold one last....

Thanks Greg , I'm actually from cheltenham myself, grew up there and uni as well,

Gosh I haven't been home in years,   what do you mean its depressed?

Hi Zoe,

I moved in here 4 months ago, and few things to add on to wat others have said.. ,if you already have an OP, then, this seems ideal to what you want to do with regards to outdoor activity. This island has different types of beaches, from the more touristy north Grand Baie, to the beautiful blue beaches in the south. On the west, the Flic n flac beach is very popular amongst locals in the day n expats in the night. It has quite a vibrant night life n parties.
and there are enough other outdoor activities from trekking, scuba diving, rock climbing, abseiling, big game fishing, so on..
One can select his/her pace of life, n the Island offers you that. Only thing is , as a whole it is a little laid back. The internet line might take a while to get, unless you go in for a business plan, but seems more or less reliable.
There is a very active Expat community here, with the majority being French followed by Indians and Saffers.
It is fairly safe, with very less serious crimes, most are limited to burglaries in up-market Mauritius and touristy Mauritius, but as said, if you are sensible and take normal care, it is very safe compared to India, UK n SA.

Hope this helps n see ya in a few days!
Cheers,
Musheer

[moderated, please post in the classifieds]