Nationwide power outage

not great coming back from an iterview to pitch black , no light anywhere , no fan etc
http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/vi … tre.531616
least its back now ..

anyone else affected

Get use to it in Malta!

Sometimes, just sometimes, we're closer to Africa than we are to Europe. :/

Sometimes?  :whistle:

I wasn't aware this was a big problem - what do retailers do? Do they all have generators or close up? I'm asking because as Pet Groomers we'll be needing power!

I was in Marsaskala last week and Melita went down for a while (so we lost TV, Phone and internet) is this common (I understand that Melita were doing some work recently anyway?

last night was due to a problem at the power station and the resulting explosion , they worked very quickly to get it back though

a lot of business have generators, but not all, in marsaxlokk last night about 3 or 4 restraunts had power .

MovingToTheMed wrote:

I wasn't aware this was a big problem - what do retailers do? Do they all have generators or close up? I'm asking because as Pet Groomers we'll be needing power!

I was in Marsaskala last week and Melita went down for a while (so we lost TV, Phone and internet) is this common (I understand that Melita were doing some work recently anyway?

In short, yes it is very common in some areas and occasionally nationally.  Sometimes it's the power stations but the local cuts are often due to the poor condition of the distribution infrastucture.  So don't let anyone tell you that the new interconnector cable from Italy will solve all the problems. :|   

What do you do?  Just wait.  A genny is not a viable option for a small business.  RR

It was the damn generator that kept me awake last night from the bakery below me :( and then to sit there with no tv, no light  :sosad:

Have you not noticed loads of candles for sale over here (moving to the med) it's not for religious reasons  :P

Thanks all!

YES - re candles!!

I was checking out the shops in Marsaskala last week (for cost of living comparison) and did notice how many candles were for sale. At first I assumed they were for repelling insects ...then I looked a little closer and saw that most of them weren't for that.

I didn't think any further (other than wondering whether they really were for religious reasons) ... I should have thought of the obvious really  ;)

Still I live in a little village on the south coast at the moment and we have candles at the ready for the power outages we get (especially in storms) We've been lucky this year - it's normally one half of the village OR the other that get power problems - and for the most part it's been the "posh" end of the village this year with the problems!

Better get some candles when we arrive on 25th  - might need a genny RR  -- to keep the beer cold  ;)

There are places still without power, Luqa and Qormi for sure. That's 16 hours now!

you should get a bicycle generator to keep the beer fridge cool , not only will it keep the leccy bill down it wil save on gym membership or keep the kids busy

coxf0001 wrote:

There are places still without power, Luqa and Qormi for sure. That's 16 hours now!

guess i wont be going to pavi shopping today then lol

robpw2 wrote:

you should get a bicycle generator to keep the beer fridge cool , not only will it keep the leccy bill down it wil save on gym membership or keep the kids busy

Not heard of one fo them Robpw2! Sounds like hot work ...might need a cold one after that  ;)

16 hours outage! Yikes, is this uncommonly long?

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To- … Generator/