Anybody here moving soon to France? :)

Hi guys!

Is there anyone here who'll soon move to France? Perhaps I could help you with some info. I have been here for almost 3 years now and so my own move experience is still pretty much fresh. But perhaps, there have been lots of changes now at the French Embassy procedures than what I have experienced before.

So, fire away with your questions. I hope I could answer them LoL!

Ciao!

MC Torset

Hi, I really am very interested given by any chance. Any tips on how to visit France. Thanks! :)

you get a flight and a visa

Hey Versan,

Greenetravel is correct. You need to plan your trip and budget. Buy a ticket going to France then check out your nearest French Embassy for your visa.

;) Bon chance! Good luck!

Hi MC Torset,

Your topic has been moved on the France forum.

Thank you,
Christine

Anyone has a home for rent?

Hi, I was wondering why my post has been moved to France when my question is specific for fellow Filipinos. Since the forum is open to anyone, then of course, anyone can answer but I guess I have not pointed out my question specifically.

Can you bring my post back to where it was before?

Hi morning to u all?

mctorset wrote:

Hi, I was wondering why my post has been moved to France when my question is specific for fellow Filipinos. Since the forum is open to anyone, then of course, anyone can answer but I guess I have not pointed out my question specifically.

Can you bring my post back to where it was before?

Your post was 'anyone moving to France' hence the move to the France section of the forum where it will get better coverage. Nothing specific in your post with regard to Filipinos and you do live in France.

Hi,

Are you an EU citizen? If not how did you go about getting work? And where in France do you live?

Jules

Hello
its so kind of you to offer advice.
My partner and I are considering moving to Brittany to set up a small wedding venue. I have no idea where to start I am just about to start french lessons and we are looking for properties.  Its not something we are going to rush into but if the right property comes up?? Any advice that you can give will be really helpful xx

Hi Carmz,

Can you tell me a bit more about Mini-Schools? Is it a France-wide organization? I'm in Nice and hoping to teach English. How do you go about contacting them? Also can I ask what you charge for home private lessons, just so I have an idea.

Hello Everyone,

I am Bulgarian and I am planning to move to France in October.
My fiance is French and we would like to give it a shot living in his country.
We still haven't chosen a place where to establish, because we both haven't found a permanent job yet. However, our preferences are Nantes and Reims.
If anyone could advice me for a job or anything at all, please guys write me! :) I will very much appreciate it :)

Thank you!

Nina

:) hi, I am speaking for my daughter in law who is Cambodian and is married to my son who is English.
They have two children who have been accepted at our local French school, and they have bought a house which needs renovation, and are going to live with us until it is finished.
The problem is that she has only been given a 3 month visa to stay in France, and we don't know the best way to extend it, or how to get a carte de séjour if possible.  She speaks a little French and would like to eventually have a French passport.
Her name is Chanthou, and she would love to have a Cambodian friend in France.  We live in Brittany.
We would love to hear from you!

Hi.

I'm not really a visa expert but my Filipino friend, who's cohabiting with her Frenchman boyfriend and their 3 kids and has been living in Marseille for almost a year now, was able to renew her 3months visa when she went to OFII (The French Immigration & Integration Office). At OFII, you'll find more info on extending visas without going back to Cambodia (especially because they've got kids to take care of and are building a house). OFII also gives the first Titre de Séjour, that becomes Carte de Séjour after 1 yr renewal. Pls visit OFII at 8, rue Jean-Julien-Lemordant, 35000 Rennes (the branch in Britanny) or call them at +33299229860. You can email them at rennes(at)ofii.fr. or visit the main ofii website at http://www.ofii.fr. Hope this info helps.

I'm a Filipino citizen but my husband has EU citizen. I have a Carte de Residence in France and soon to be eligible for citizenship, should I decide to apply. ^_^ My Residence Card allows me to work in France/EU and travel all over EU. To answer your last Q, I live in Pays de Gex, in the French border to Switzerland.

Thank you, that is very helpful indeed.  We are going to the Prefecture in Vannes on Wednesday, to the Service étrangers, to ask if we can extend her visa, but the more info we can get beforehand the better!

Re: Properties in Britanny

Hi,
Congrats to you both! When me and my hubby moved here from Marseille, we checked a lot of property agents online. You can use the term: Immobilier (estate)..to google, use the key terms: "immobilier bretagne", to rent: "location bretagne". Location means "to rent".

Lots of common sites will pop up like:
Immofrance
Seloger
Icade
Leboncoin
Ouestfrance-immo
Fnaim
Etc

Good luck!

Re: Mini-Schools and English Teaching

Yeah, Mini-Schools is found nationwide(france) & if you visit the website: www.mini-schools.com, you'll find the page that says: "Créer une Mini-Schools" (create a mini-School). If you'd click on that, at the right column, you'll find a map where you can click your region to see if someone has created a mini-school near you and you can join their team. For Marseille, Bouches-De-Rhone, Draguignan, Toulon, Brignoles up to La Colle Sur Loup-Villeneuve Loubet, the Déléguée Régionale is Mme. Muriel SUEL (+33.6.78.45.80.78) [email protected]. http://relais118.mini-schools.com

Pay: normally starts at 19-20/hr (gross)
Contract: seasonal (october-june)

For private tutorials, it depends in your area. You could ask around. Some friends in Toulouse told me their rate's about 10/hr. In my area, as we're close to Geneva, we're a bit higher, 15-30/hr. Paris rate is I guess between 10-20/hr depending on locality, age of student (elementary, highschool, univ or adult/business). My friend who works for an English language school in Marseille gets about 60-75/hr for a class of 10 businessmen.

Hope this info helps.

Hi Nina,

Re: Getting a job, I suggest you try to apply with Pôle Emploi (French Job Placement Agency). If you have a Titre de Séjour (you can get it from OFII www.ofii.fr), then you can easily apply for a job.

You can also check the local newspapers for job postings (petite annonces) and also from www.leboncoin.fr.

For now, I suggest you improve on your French to get a better shot at getting hired. Your type of work should be in line with your specialty as well.

Bon courage!

--Carmz

You're welcome. Glad to have helped.

Although, as far as Titre de Séjour is concerned, I only knew of OFII as the first landing point as they're the ones in-charge for the issuance of such (it's a sticker version, placed in passport). Renewals are done at the Prefecture or Sous-Prefecture (whichever is nearer your place) where the card version will be given. But I highly recommend OFII first. No harm in going to the Prefecture but they'd usually send you to OFII after. If however, they processed first at Prefecture, then I stand corrected.

And Oh, the driving licenses exchanges are done at the Prefecture. If your daughter-in-law has a valid driving license in Cambodia,she could also have this exchanged in Framce if she already has her Titre de Séjour. Goodluck! ^_^

Ok, thank you once again for your advice.  We are definitely going to go to the OFII first!
Your information has been very helpful, and much appreciated!

Hi Mctorset,

I see you are very active answering peoples questions and you are exactly the kind of person i was looking to reach out to! Hopefully you won't mind answering my small query. :)

As an EU citizen moving to france i hear that "The French authorities are currently considering re-introducing a registration requirement for EU citizens residing in France for longer than three months"... do you know if this will come into effect anytime soon?

Thanks in advance!

Hello mctorset,

would you mind telling me when did you get your french carte de sejour? was it complicated ?
i have my first titre de sejour, and will proceed to renew it on 14th November (scheduled at the prefecture in Rennes).
may you tell me how was it going for you? Thanks so much in advance  ;)

Hi Donal,

I really don't know much about EU citizens as I'm not EU citizen originally.

But I read this from a French government website:

"3. Certain foreigners are exempt from the visa requirement
Under Council Regulation (EC) No 539/2001 of 15 March 2001, a certain number of nationalities are exempt from the short-stay visa requirement to enter the Schengen Area. (Foreigners holding ordinary passports exempt from visa requirements).
If you are a national of a European Union (EU) Member State other than France, of the European Economic Area (EEA) or of Switzerland, or a family member of a national of an EU Member State other than France, the EEA or Switzerland, specific provisions of EU law apply:
-  Nationals of EU Member States, the EEA or Switzerland are not subject to the entry and stay visa requirement, whatever the duration of their stay;
-  members of the family of a national of Member States of the EU, EEA or Switzerland (spouse, children under 18 or dependent children, dependent parents) are subject to the same regulations governing the movement of persons as other foreigners of their nationality. Family members of a Union national who does not require a short-stay visa, or holding a residence permit for family members of Union citizens, do not require an entry and stay visa, whatever the duration of their stay."
== http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/france … ng-a-visa/

Now, regarding latest news about changing regulations for those EU citizens staying more than 3 months, I have no clue. Perhaps you could inquire with other EU citizens. Or I hope there's an EU citizen here who could help me answer it. My husband is French, but he don't know if there's a new regulation or not.

Bon courage! :)

Bonjour Vctoria,

My first renewal process (from titre de séjour to carte de séjour) was pretty easy despite that I have forgotten the basic rule: "to renew at least 2 months before expiration date". I renewed 1 month before and I was already in a panic state that I missed the 2 months rule, LOL!

Anyway, I went to the mairie in our commune to help me with my predicament (I'm a new habitant here in Pays de Gex as I got my titre de séjour in Marseille OFII). Good thing they got me a list of what to submit. You can also find the requirements online. http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/part … tml#N1017C

I'm thinking you've already submitted your reqts and they sent you an appointment letter because renewals are normally done at the Prefecture. On my second renewal, I sent my requirements by mail (La Poste) to our Prefecture as it's quite far from our commune.

As for the 2 renewals that I've had, after satisfying them with all the needed requirements, the Prefecture then sent me an appointment letter for personal interview. During the appointment, I brought with me copies and original documents of the requirements. I was interviewed (in French). In the first interview, my French wasn't that good yet, so it's good that my husband was with me to help me answer it. But of course, I had to try to answer all by myself. My husband just gave me hints what the question was about as the interviewer doesn't speak English. On my second interview, I was able to answer all questions by myself without any help from my husband at all (yey!), despite my imperfect grammar. After both interviews, I was given my "récépissé" (receipt/temporary Titre de Séjour while the actual card is being made) and was told that they will just send me a letter as to when to get my new card.

Since our Prefecture is far from us, I had to cancel whatever activity I had to get to those interviews. My husband had to request for a day off from work to accompany me.

We also have a Sous-Prefecture near our commune where I finally got my new card. I received the letter direct from Sous-Prefecture. They told me to attach stamps on the "convocation". The stamps can be bought online or from your local Tabac. Then when I got there, I showed them the requirements they requested from me and then I got my new card.

In general, it took about 2 months of waiting before I got my new card.

I guess if you live near your Prefecture, they will tell you to get your card at your Prefecture. Otherwise, they'll forward it to your Sous-Prefecture, if you're really far from your Department's central city (like me).

Generally, it wasn't that complicated. In summary, here are the steps:
1. Send requirements to your Prefecture. Requirements are found online. Send copies, not originals, except the pictures, they'll send you a letter for missing documents if you sent an incomplete set.
2. Wait for letter for interview, bring requirements (original with or without copies, no need to bring pics)
3. They do a short personal interview then give you your "récépissé". You have to be present in person because you have to sign your récépissé in person. Your signature is needed for your new card. Your fingerprints will also be taken.
4. You wait for about 2 months for the letter from Prefecture to get your card. (Sometimes can become longer during vacation days)...
5. When letter arrives, follow instruction (most important: stamps!) - the amount will correspond to the type of long-stay visa/titre de séjour/card that you have (student, stagiere, private life & family, etc.)
6. Give requirements to Prefecture/Sous-Prefecture and you get your card.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards.

Hi. Only just found this site. Have you moved over yet ?

Hello pottyguy,

Welcome to Expat-Blog..:)

Kindly note that this discussion is not active since September 2014.

Thank you
Yuveshen