PLEASE DONT BELIEVE ALL YOU READ IN THESE POSTS.

There a lot of well intentioned people contributing to these forums but the information varies from outright nonsense to having some element of truth.
Some of the participants sound like newly weds on honeymoon who don't yet understand what marriage really is about.

I could write endlessly but let me focus on those who have expressed a wish to invest. Time and again I hear about people who have lost huge amounts here.
Unless you have so much money that losing 10, 20, $30,000 or more and makes no difference then don't come here and invest until you have been at least 1 year and learned what really goes on.
Please never ever trust a tuk tuk and be very careful of the untrained and unregulated Realtors, there are no laws regulating their behaviour.

Those of us who have been here a long time have seen so many people scammed and so much money lost just to see new westerners  arrive and fall for the same stuff all over again.

The sad truth is that Cambodian children are not raised with the same basic moral guidelines that we are at home and as result as adults seem to lack any moral compass.  Between themselves most are dishonest, having integrity and being considerate of each other is unknown.
Money is the only thing that gets respect here and as a westerner we are a target for those who are have no conscience. Risks include everthing from having your bag snatched all the way to investing in property only to have it taken from you (usually by the original owner) and there is no legal recourse.
As you go around town many of the people you see working hard are Vietnamese not Cambodians. Unfortunately laziness is another trait. The Vietnamese have much much better ethics in virtually every respect.
No westerner is allowed by law to own land so be aware, if someone is trying to sell you a house or land its illegal. Property lease contracts are worthless if you have to go to court to settle a disagreement, a westerner will always lose.
If you are a guy don't get persuaded into buying a place with your new girl too soon, she will disappear and so will the house.

Please be warned.

This is very good advice and pretty much the same all over SE Asia. I'm more familiar with Thailand which is perhaps (?) not as extreme as you say about Cambodia, especially when it comes to property (unless you are daft enough to put it in the name of your girlfriend/ wife/ partner). You are absolutely correct in saying - be in the country for at least a year. I would say longer and add it's imperative that you chat to expats - including the hard nosed cynical ones, some of whom, go over the top (but safer that way). Listen to the hardship stories about property/ relationships/ police, etc. etc.
As is said often, so many seem to leave their brains/ common sense in their home country and become "bewitched" by local women (trans/ gay as well, I guess). True of course for holidaymakers any where in the world, except they don't lose $10,000's.
A good post, thanks

As a fellow westerner I fully endorse your comments
And go one step furthur
Find a good LAWYER with reasonable fees and never do any transaction
WITHOUT.     his written comments
Many snakes here who talk shit and do immoral things including fellow Realties
Rule 1.         Be aware.  you can be taken and most probably will.    At least once

Michael Kean
Siem Reap

Hi everybody,

This is to inform you all that some inappropriate posts have been removed from this topic.

Thanks

Priscilla