Sweep off Banh Mi Ha Noi ?

Soon after my old company moved to 3A An Duong Vuong street, Q.5 in 2010, someone introduced nearby Banh Mi shop namely "Banh Mi Ha Noi" which run by an old lady and her family. 1 year before that I try some from other shops but don't felt tasty :)  Really this shop shows me the real taste of Vietnamese traditional Banh Mi. After that until today, sometimes I enjoyed that taste and sometimes 2 banh mi together  :)
Accidentally today I go there to buy again but not tasty like before!
The same old lady sit in front of her Banh Mi cart which moved into one corner. I saw her old shop (45 An Duong Vuong) reconstructed and someone started a Pizza-Pasta restaurant. Yeah, I saw some foreigners coming out from that shop!
I think this lady and family forced to move from old shop and still want to continue nearby  :(
Now you can guess why today's Banh Mi not tasty like before!
        Will traditional foods sweep off and fast food  culture rule all over the world?
Young generation rushing to KFC, Mc Donalds, Lotteria..... though their parents cannot afford that  :/
I tried some situations, these kind of fast food but never felt a better  taste than mixed veg porridge make at our own home!
        Still I remember, when I worked in Long An University, one of my colleague (a Vietnamese Lecturer) almost everyday come to bus point with a case of sweet potato  :)  Yeah, that's his breakfast!
I saw many times that he enjoying that natural food.
I doubt, young generation can enjoy like him or not.

Hi. I understand what you feel missing above. I cant get why many people enjoy fast food in KFc, lotteria, Macdonalds,..either. My stomach cant digest beef there while chicken isn't good.

But I really enjoy Vietnamese breads here. So delicious. There is some ladies living around my area. They sell very nice food and have many customers from Thu Duc to Binh Tan district. They don't like to move to crowded places cos they cant manage to make many things by themselves when their children are busy with their life. There is also a Banh MI cart I like locates at the corner Tran Hung Dao and ..Viet but the lady there is arrogant a bit and the price is also higher.

Ha Noi bread has green onion right? I feel it's hard to digest too.

http://www.globalpost.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/gp3_small_article/obama_fried_chicken_2011_10_06.png

Part of it may have to do withy 'packaging', and I don't mean the paper the Banh Mi is wrapped in. When in Can Tho I like to get my Banh Mi at the Saigon Bakery, which usually means getting in line, getting to the front, and placing my order on one side, to receive the sandwiches a few minutes later on the other. They are obviously never going to go out of business. But what I don't get is a place to sit and eat the Banh Mi.

Part of the attraction of Western chain restaurants is that you get a (not always) quiet place to sit for a few minutes and enjoy your meal. There is a large bakery in District 1 that provides seating and good Banh Mi, but the floors are always covered with trash and the seating is almost elbow to elbow at lunchtime.

Some of the very best Banh Mi I've enjoyed in VIetnam has been off of vendor's carts, or tiny stalls on the sidewalk. If you want to compete with KFC and Micky D's, you're going to have to invest in something a bit more substantial. Eventually someone in Vietnam will, and succeed. But how many have the money to take the risk of failure? It would have to build a brand 'package' similar to some of the successful coffee chains. Frankly, I disappointed that some Viet Kieu in the States hadn't come up with a Vietnamese sandwich chain.

Did you mean Scallion? (spring onion)
Yeah, they will add but you can chose what kind of veg or non veg ingredients you need  :)

Dejavu.dot wrote:

Ha Noi bread has green onion right? I feel it's hard to digest too.

lirelou wrote:

Part of it may have to do withy 'packaging', and I don't mean the paper the Banh Mi is wrapped in. Yeah, previously they packed it in a printed paper cover but now just a printed piece of paper  :)

But what I don't get is a place to sit and eat the Banh Mi. Yeah, that's a demerit as it need some time to chew well and enjoy!

Part of the attraction of Western chain restaurants is that you get a (not always) quiet place to sit for a few minutes and enjoy your meal. Yeah, but seems more people enjoying wifi , not food!

Some of the very best Banh Mi I've enjoyed in VIetnam has been off of vendor's carts, or tiny stalls on the sidewalk.
Yes, most of them make it with their love knowing that this small business is their life!

I disappointed that some Viet Kieu in the States hadn't come up with a Vietnamese sandwich chain. Don't blame them for that. After move to another country, I saw many Vietnamese(other expats too) don't like their country, tradition and their culture  :)

Of course we need to protect all traditional foods. Otherwise, later forthcoming generation will see it in museums !
Development is necessary but not by ignoring our traditions  :)
I like Ao Dai (traditional dress of Vietnam). It looks like Indian "Churidars" and cover body well but nowadays seems too transparent which can show under garments and even more..  :)

charmavietnam wrote:

but nowadays seems too transparent which can show under garments and even more..  :)

What's wrong with that?

Nothing wrong If they are not my family members  :)  (Yeah, they don't like 'modern' fashion)
I can enjoy, no, I really enjoy  'these kinds of fashion' too !
Especially their new kind 'short' which shows the 'real beauty  :)

DanFromSF wrote:

What's wrong with that?

charmavietnam wrote:

Nothing wrong If they are not my family members  :)  (Yeah, they don't like 'modern' fashion)
I can enjoy, no, I really enjoy  'these kinds of fashion' too !
Especially their new kind 'short' which shows the 'real beauty  :)

Yes, one of the best things about Vietnam is the never-ending eye-candy.