Moving to Azerbaijan

We might be moving to Azerbaijan with the family, and I am looking for someone who could tell us a bit about life there. I would really appreciate any comments from experience, good or bad. How is ordinary life, things for children, things for adults, sports...... Hopefully someone will see this, as I have not been able to find anything on the Internet. Thank you already in advance!

There is quite a few families that live here with one member working for BP. They seem like find it to be OK and tend to stick together a fair bit.

Perhaps not the best for younger singles. Going out seems to consist of standing in a smoky bar with 99% males. Drinks beer. Get drunk. Go home.

Life in Baku very nice and weather perfect in spring time and little hot in Summer. Here you can find nice reastaurants and caffee and a lot other places where you can spend your time.

regarding school in English language we have here few (oxford and etc)
if you like bars here a lot of bars and too smoky but also can spend there time. And at night time here too light and a lot of changes here (new bulding for 4-5 years, reconstruction. Azerbaijan place where yuou can leave, have rest out of city.

You can take on rental apartment in the city and if you like you take on rental little out from city 10-15 min nice own house.
if yu would like to know more info you are wellcome to ask.

I am considering to move to Baku and looking to know bit better about the availability of good accommodation. What are the good areas to live and whar are the pros and cons??? Thank you in advance

Probably batter for you will be to live in the center city. center City: Doll theater,Sahil (metro station), Baksovet (metrostation) or near Big Shop (MUM shop). I am sure you will find nice apartment. if you dissided to live in house batter area "Patandart" but little out from city (15-20 min by car)but air perfect and fresh and a lot of foreign people take rental in that area, spesialy if they come together with family and children. Prices very different before you take apartment or house for rental,i am sure you will look 20 or more places. Life very nice in summer time, since a lot people going out of city to have rest or out of country.

Good evening all, i am a prospective international student from Nigeria and intend to apply to one of the universities in azerbaijan,but i was wondering if i can also work as a student while pursuing my academic work there

Hi, am 40 year old single Mum of nursery age child thinking of relocating to Azerbaijan, poss job offer in Baku. Would prefer a house with garden in quiet area where we can grow fruit & vegetable & keep some animals. Is that possible, how long would the commute be? When do children start full time education & what are the best English speaking schools & costs.
Can anyone explain income tax. I would be paid in US$.
err, help!
THANKS, facoproco

Hi facoproco

It is a very nice place to live. It is up to you what part of the city you want to live. A house with garden in quiet area would cost in the range of USD 300 - 1000. The prices vary depending on the size of the house and the garden. It is 10-30 mins drive to the city center.

There are couple of English schools here in Baku. It costs about 5000 USD per year.

Income tax is 14% if you salary does not exceed 1000 AZN (1200 USD)
or 35 % if the salary exceeeds  1000 AZN (1200 USD)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me directly at [email protected].

G'luck
Nik

[Moderated: off topic]

--schools possible for your child- TISA (BP school which means will cost you about 30k+ manat, BIS stands for Baku International School (american school, prob. 24k manat a year) BSB stands for british school in Baku, will cost you 14k manat a year) Oxford school might be a little cheaper than the rest. BTW, I work in British School, so if you need help email or send me a private message.Good luck

I have come to Baku from Turkey as an expat and currently I am living in the hotel. I need a house which has around with 3 living rooms, with a garden and with a new furniture. The place needs to be around other foreign people, safe and easy to adapt to a new environment. Of course with not an astronomic price :).  I will be happy if one of the colleagues helps me.  Thanks.