Looking for help to move back to the UK

Hello :)

I'm British, living in Belgium for the past 5 years. I want to move back to the UK with my partner and my 3 children but have no idea what to do to get back home with my family. Obviously we need somwhere to live but to have somewhere to live, my partner needs a job in the uk, but that requires you to live in the UK so, a vicious cycle. My children are all under 3 so I won't be going back to work until the 2 oldest are in nursery. Anyone know what we can do? I'm desperate to move back home :(

Charlie a good day to you,

You are 22 year old, 3 kids, expecting the forth and feeling alienated in a country that does not belong to you? Does not sound very encouraging, but?

You have proved by posting this message that you WANT to change this and you have a 'desire' and a 'will' to change. I have a belief that our creator has not made any body with out talent and qualities, we often fail to recognize them and capitalize upon our strengths.

What does your partner do by the way? You are welcomed to drop a PM line if you need an advice which is of personal nature, but I will prefer to keep things public. This will benefit lots of friends around! :)

I don't know where you got that information, but I'm 25 not 22, and I'm not expecting my fourth child.

It does say on your profile that you're 22, which I guess is now outdated information, posted at the time of you joining the site 3 yrs ago.

I am sorry, I must have made a mistake in understanding you.

Hi
welcome back to London,
what is your husbands job experience,and qualification.
Register with job reed and other agency. they will help him to get a job according to his qualification.
Best wishes for you and fly

(Moderated: off topic)

I dont know whether you have found a solution yet.  I lived in Belgium for 28 years and moved back to the UK in 2003, I must say if I could return to Belgium now I would.  Please bear in mind you are leaving possibly the country with the best medical care in Europe to come to the NHS which is sometimes good, sometimes very hit and miss.  Have you made an effort to learn dutch, I know how keen the belgians are for foreigners to learn dutch when you are living in a dutch area such as Mechelen  or perhaps you would be happier living in a french area or perhaps you really have made up your mind.

That said, I realise this is a massive move.  Your husband not only has to find a job but you have to find somewhere to live which presumably will give you access to work in a few years time.  Before I moved I applied for jobs and came via the Eurostar for interviews whilst still living in Belgium.  I actually did not start work until three months after getting back to the UK so an obvious point is to make sure you have enough funds to tide you over, or for your husband to come in advance, rent a room somewhere and look for a job and you to follow.  And registering with an agency as someone suggested would be a good move.

Another point which comes to mind is that my son was officially unemployed in Belgium and came to the UK, as an unemployed person, which entitled him to unemployment pay for a period.  I doubt whether that would have changed.  If you want me to look up the form he had and give you the number, pls say and I will.

Good luck.  This is such a big move but I did it with my two adult children and we all three found jobs.

Hello sukie,

A very comprehensive , well thought and sincere advise.

Lots of positivity and pointation towards opportunities.

I think we all make a mistake that we start to discuss the 'mechanics' before we have finalized on the principles. As an example, a lot of British friends working in the Middle East are very happy and content, I strongly suggest one must spend a couple of years here, the least benefit you will have is the realization of some basic things (like NHS you rightfully mentioned) which we take for granted.

Hello Riazcdki

Thanks.  I tried to be as helpful as I could as I had made the move.  One thing I didn't perhaps emphasise enough (just in case Charlie is still monitoring her question) is that if she has not totally given up on Belgium, perhaps a good thing to consider is to move into the french speaking area or an area with facility (which means people can speak French in official matters), she could do that without moving very far from Mechelen.  Positives for her might be that she would have access to more English speaking people if that is what she wants, alternatively she might find learning/speaking french easier.  Schools are good in Belgium as well.