Seriously thinking about relocating to NZ- Your advice and feedback

HI Everyone!  we are currently living in JHB.  my husband and i are planning on coming to NZ in January 2015.  He is a Systems Engineer and is hoping to find work in NZ so he can apply for a work permit and then Permanent Residency.  we have been contemplating this move for so long and the time has finally come.  we cant put it off any longer as we are both getting older now and would love to start a family in the near future.  Having kids in SA is just not an option for us.  we are extremely excited about this move but also very scared and nervous.  we have heard amazing things about NZ and ofc not so nice things as well.  unfortunately finances don't allow us to first come and visit NZ so it makes it a bit more scary not knowing what is to follow but we are positive and have faith that this will be the right move.  we are not sure whether to settle in Auckland or Wellington? and will need to go where he will have the greatest chance at finding work.  looking forward to hearing your advise and feedback!

Welcome to the forum
I suggest you  check out www.immigration.govt.nz for visa information and applications. There is a skills list that the govt are looking for and have preference for visas.   

I would check online for jobs before coming over as it is a long way to come and not have time to find work. For jobs try www.seek.co.nz If you find something interesting then apply and see what happens.  Or a Google search may find something. 

If you come over and find a job you may well have to head back home to do the visa thing anyway.
For cost of living www.numbeo.com 
Have you tried contacting the NZ embassy / consulate in SA for information.??

Also Google search and see if there is a SA club or community in Auckland or Wellington then contact them for up to date info.

Thanks so much for the reply.  i will definitely have a look at the links.

Hello Natalie  :cheers:

Please note that a new thread has been created as from your post on the New Zealand Forum so as to help you get better visibility and interactions.

Regards
Kenjee

Why are you postponing application for Permanent Residency? If you have done your homework and calculated your points already and don't qualify or are marginal, what is going to change for you after coming to New Zealand on a Visa? Do you think that applying for PR in New Zealand will increase your chances of being successful? If you do have sufficient or even excess points, why delay applying for PR from the safety and stability of your own home country?

It is unlawful to give immigration advice unless you are a licenced immigration consultant or lawyer in New Zealand. Having said that, New Zealand is not the kind of place where you can just show up and expect to get lucky. Unless you are famous; or have some extraordinary skills that are in great demand here; or are very smart, drop-dead gorgeous, young and single; or have successful, connected mates who can get you a job; you should really take off the rose-coloured glasses.

If you have a lot of money in the bank that you won't miss (at least $50-100k NZD) and income to sustain your household in your home country while one of you is away, then the hail-Mary play may be worth the risk. If, however, you are funding your trip on credit cards, loans or other debt, you will be taking huge risks with your future.

New Zealand is a small country that is struggling like all other nations in the world, except its size makes it more susceptible to forces beyond its control. So, there are some job opportunities, but like almost anywhere else, those permanent residents and citizens who are already here (and natives) will have the best chances of getting hired. If you are on a work visa, you will have difficulty getting an interview with the actual employer (not just the candidate recruiter for some recruitment company) and even greater difficulty getting a job, unless you are special (see above).

If you have heard of other success stories, when did they come to New Zealand? If it was 2008 or earlier, that was a different time and different country. If more recently, then you should ask very specific questions such as why they were successful and what exactly they possess that got them the job.

Luck favours the prepared.

I came to NZ almost three years ago on a relationship based visa. If I didn't have my husband (who is a NZ citizen) I would have gone back home after three months. It is hard to find work in NZ when you have a work visa, but not a permanent resident or citizen as NZ employers will hire them before visa holders. After almost three years I've only worked seasonal jobs packing blueberries and only recently been hired for a "normal" retail position, but that was only because my husband knows a person in HR of that company.

My feeling is that you should expect struggle if you or your husband decide to come to NZ before being hired for a job. Even with experience or education, etc, it can get tough to find work.

sorry to hear that!! is it really that tough? :s