Re Malta now returned to England.

hi I have had to return to England after only 5 weeks in Malta. Due to circumstances beyond my control. Mostly I had no where to live. Could nt believe all the landlords and most of the Maltese people said it is very unlikely I would find anywhere to live in the peak months. If there was anywhere to live it was going to be approx. £600 Euros a month I was nt even going to be earning this. I was only on £3 Euros 85cents an hr which was actually unbelievably  true. The job was fine but the wages were a joke. How anyone can actually live on wages like this I don't know.
But I wont be completely put off. I am going to see what happens in England for the rest of this year.
I hope maybe next year I will have better luck. I didn't see much of Malta only on my days off as by the end of the day and travelling on the buses I was too tired to do anything.
But it was an experience but not all that nice on the whole . I love Malta maybe another time will be different.

sorry you had issues finding property - we moved into our property the 28th june , in marsaxlokk for 250 euro a month .. we had a few problems finding property in other areas but there are properties availble if you look.
Your right though wages are low compared to that of the Uk

HI there I found it very hard to find anywhere to live. Most were either 600 Euros a month . I was nt even earning 600 Euros a month. I found I was earning less than minimum wage also so I was nt having much luck at all.  Then I just had to give in as I had to move from where I was and I did try but nobody wanted to let to me. I rang many of the landlords but I found u see numbers over properties even when there were no lets . good for the landlords to keep raking there money in . But they don't think for the people who ring so many and get so deparate and fed up and the cost of all the phone calls to not get anywhere. PLEASE LANDLORDS DO THINK ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE. It really shouldn't be this hard. I felt like Baby Jesus no room in the INN. It was very hard and very disappointing as well as upsetting to feel so alone in another Country. I knew a few people out there but no one could help me.
I am not going to completely give up I will try again, in the winter months , But u see I will find an apartment but then I will struggle to find a job that will pay me at least minimum . Hope next time time I will have some luck.

did you consider living with somebody, like a roommates?

the expenses in 2 bedroom apart. would then, ofc, be cut in half

Did you do your homework before going or did you just go out there?. Just a thought as the figures you use seem a bit high.

landydave wrote:

Just a thought as the figures you use seem a bit high.

Her figures unfortunately are very realistic for that kind of job and for accommodation in that area for this time of year :(

From what I can gather, she came over to see family, fell in love with the island, looked hard for a job, found one but then couldn't find accommodation in her price range....The problem she'll have with coming back in winter will be reversed. Finding a job in the hotel industry will be harder but rents will be cheaper but she is a determined person and I'm sure Malta hasn't seen the end of her yet!! :)

Can see the whole picture now and agree with what you say.  as someone else has said she would need to flat share to get by.
Can understand the falling in love with island as had an extended stay a couple of years ago. Still trying to get it all together to come out for a very long stay.
I hope she will stay determined and get back.

i came over here in april fell in love , decided we were coming back ..booked to come back 28th may , we had very little money due to my partners work taking money for all kinds of things when he told them he was leaving , we came out here stayed in a hotel for the month of june , we both got jobs selling boat trips to make money and raise the money for a deposit and rent and found a place to live on the 28th june in marsaxlokk for 250 euros a month it meant travelling to work but we decided we wanted to do this , Matt then got offered an it job albeit part-time thought since he has started he has been doing full time hours and so whilst its not easy making a change and stuff with determination you can do it !

now i just need to find a proper job as i couldnt carry on with boat trip selling with my back problem and the 7 days a week 12 hour slog it was too much ...so hoping someone responds to my applications

Robert
Sorry if I'm off topic but is your PM box stuffed full?
I've not received replies to last two communications.
Our first exchange of PM's worked OK and contained my e-address.
RR.

I have pm'd you

hi and hello there. Yes I did do some homework. And the figures are real. It was a nightmare. I have been to Malta many times over the years. My daughter lives out there. But through family issues not known to me before I went I could only stay a while with them. I was out there for 5 weeks. First week week just went out site seeing as I do. Know 1 English lady just as a casual acquaintance but she was very helpful and tried to ring around a few landlords and it was always too expensive or the flat / apartment had gone. I did get quite stressed as I really wanted to stay but due to no where to live I had only 1 option go home.
Within the a day of giving out my cv I got an interview and got a job in a hotel Supervising the cleaners which was ok . But the pay was less than minimum wage which was nt very fair to me but I wanted a job. Do u work for low pay and have the sunshine or go home and get twice the wage and more bills and more stress. Well I would of liked to be still in Malta but not given up as yet. Just chilling and see what happens. See what life has for me Wait and see and be Patience I suppose. Thanks for your reply.

HI there no not given up . Will have another go. Love the Island , but this last time didn't get much me time. It was pretty hot to say the least. But time will tell. Hoping there will be someone to help me next time, May come later in the year or try next Janurary and go for a long holiday to start with and have more time to get on with looking for job and a property to rent. Thanks for your concern.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I would suggest finding a better paid job and maybe doing a house share next time and try and organise it before you fly out. Don't give up whatever you do as Malta is such a beautiful island and generally the Maltese people are so lovely. The rents are always higher in the summer months because of the tourist industry. Your wage was absurd! Have you thought about doing some training to get a better paid job? Fingers crossed for you. :)

Hi there thanks for your reply. Yes I love Malta but it was extremely disappointing this time round, Never thought I would be in a situation where there was no where for me to Live. I just had that feeling everything boiled down to me not meant to be in Malta at this point for what reason I am not sure of yet. Hopefully the reason will come out in the open to me. I believe it was nt my time to be in Malta but as I said I wont give up yet. Just hope much better luck next time round
Most of my life I have only done cleaning or shop work or factory work. So its just a matter of what I can get job wise I suppose. Thanks .

Hi

I too am sorry to hear about your misfortune , I would love to move out there too but as you say it's the work / wages but also if you find a job the rent too.

If only there was an easier way

I really hope you get there as it's always been my dream too

😊