A new life for us ....hopefully

Hi my name is Janet and me, the hubby and our 3 kids are planning on settling in Malta . The business in England is up for sale and the house will be shortly as this will probably sell quickly . There is the worry about the kids as they have friends etc in the U.K has anyone else found a problem regarding how the Maltese kids mix with the English kids ? Sorry to babble haha xxx

We came in may, my son has found it very easy to make friends, he has been mixing very well with Maltese children as they speak English with him  :)

That's great news as its probably the biggest issue when it comes to uprooting the kids and taking them to a foreign country , mine are 18, 14 & 5 and its the 14yr old I'm mostly concerned about , hope all goes well 4 u all xxx

Yeah its the biggest worry but once here it seems to be the least worrying they just get on with it! Soon as they start school they will make friends in no time  :)
Thanks you too!!

stef88 wrote:

Yeah its the biggest worry but once here it seems to be the least worrying they just get on with it! Soon as they start school they will make friends in no time  :)
Thanks you too!!

i wish i could go to school to make friends sadly im 16 years too old ....lol

robpw2 wrote:
stef88 wrote:

Thanks you too!!

:D  lol Rob!

Janet,

The kids will be fine. I have 3 children, 12, 9 and 4. The 2 youngest were born here. My sister came here when she was 13 and fitted right in. English isn't a problem, nor the Maltese children (especially and ex-pat area like St. Paul's.)
I'm happy to help with any questions and to meet up when you're here, to help with the kids making friends....For me personally, despite the Maltese ways, I still believe this is a better place to bring up children and have no intention of going back to the UK...Good luck x

My hubby lived there for around 15yrs so were no stranger to the island, he still has family and friends there, it's just finding that ideal business that we all feel comfortable with , every time we do there is always a problem lol ....something out there is ours its just finding it xx

robpw2 wrote:
stef88 wrote:

Thanks you too!!

Hahaha.....

When my wife and I get to Malta, I'l send you a PM! :)
(Evening drinks and BBQ's will be social time for us - other than that, we'll be in the sea!!)

:)

Sounds wonderful drael ...I only joined this site yesterday and I can honestly say I'm blown away with how kind and helpful people have been , thanks everyone xx

Hi just seen your post regarding the kids..we moved here(st.pauls bay) in March this year we have 3 kids age 12..3 & 2..we were the same as you worried about our eldest girl as she had lots of friends back home and is quite shy.she started school almost straight away the first day I wAs sat crying/worried sick she came home later that day so happy/excited..she said all the Maltese girls were lovely and they really went out of their way to speak to her.she now has so many friends/sleep-overs most weekends and is out swimming/beach nearly every day!!never seen her as happy..the 2 little ones have settled well too.our 3 ur old started school in April she loves it and my youngest is starting school after the holidays👍😄we have found the Maltese to be lovely kind people..
Fiona x

Sounds great Fiona... Envy you.

Were making our move in 3/4 years and keen on St. Pauls Bay. If you don't mind me asking what is that you & your partner are doing for work?

There is lots of information on the site here about places to live, and how you can settle in etc.  The main thing to remember is after the first few months it will stop being a holiday, for the guys i think they find it easier to adjust if they are working and have colleagues etc for stay at home mums it will be a bit more difficult as they wont make friends as quickly because they don't have the colleagues of work.  Don't let this put you off, make the effort to learn some of the basic words in Maltese, mix with the people and above all ENJOY your new wonderful life

That's great Fiona! Glad your all settled 😊

Sorry only just read this I don't get on here much..at the moment I'm not in work as wanted to get little ones settled at schools first..my husband is a delivery driver the pay is nothing like the uk but we manage as it's much cheaper to live here.peoole told us it would be hard to find work but if you want to find work you will..I have a few Maltese friends they are very lovely people I've also just booked on a Maltese course to try and learn a little I start this week!!

Fiona dean wrote:

Sorry only just read this I don't get on here much..at the moment I'm not in work as wanted to get little ones settled at schools first..my husband is a delivery driver the pay is nothing like the uk but we manage as it's much cheaper to live here.peoole told us it would be hard to find work but if you want to find work you will..I have a few Maltese friends they are very lovely people I've also just booked on a Maltese course to try and learn a little I start this week!!

Good luck with your Maltese course Fiona. If you want a little insight to the language try this site:

Learn Maltese

It even has sound for pronunciation.

Me? As a typical lazy Englishman I always take a translator with me everywhere - Although Rose (my wife) hates it when I call her that.