Introducing myself

Hi everyone, I am Chantel, I am from South Africa but currently living and working in Kuwait, we are looking into moving to Botswana in the next year or two and I would like to receive some guidence and good advise as to how and where to start off, job wise, housing / rent, buying a piece of land - we prefer not to work through agents as we know people personally who bought land at excellent rates via private sales.
When we move we will have to ship our furniture from Kw to Gabs, we will need advise on this.
My husband has a small business in Gabs which my dad is running for us, thus we allready have our permits, the business isn't lucritive at the moment which has us worried at the moment, it seems that almost all the expats we know are having a rough time in Botswana now?
Our children doesn't have permits yet, how will this work?

What is the best way to go to start finding a town house or a nice 3 bedroom house to rent, to buy cars and to find jobs, we do not want to walk into the country unprepared.

Kind regards,

Chantel.

Welcome on Expat-blog Chantel! :) You should place an ad in the Botswana classifieds > accommodation section and job section....
Here you can get a free advice and quote for shipping your luggage to botswana : https://www.expat.com/en/luggage/africa/botswana/

Hope this helps..
Good luck
Christine

Hi Christine,

Thank you very much for the link, I will deffinately have a look at it.
Are you living in Botswana?
Lovely place, we cannot wait to be there, it is so peaceful and laid back there. My brother lives just outside Gabs, about 10 minutes drive, and my parents lives in Phakalani.

They are telling us everything that we want to hear.. and off course everytime when we are there we experience it for ourselves, but we do not know what is really going on there.

What is the economy like, what does the future look like with Diamond Park that's opened?

What is the chances of the crime and the terrible rumours off what is going to take place in S.A, moving into Botswana? We have read a couple articles saying that the "thing" that is about to take place in South Africa will be affecting the whole of Africa, how true is this?

I am sorry for asking this, and I really do not have any desire to drag politics into this group, but we want to know the honest facts because after living in S.A, we want our children to be as safe as they can be.

Which is the best areas to be looking for Free hold land?

Have a lovely day!

Chantel.

Hi Chantel, i am not living in Botswana, i am from Mauritius island! :)
Gaborone is the capital and the largest city in Botswana, looks a lovely place. Well, i hope other members will share their experiences with you.

I wish you all the best,
Christine

Hello Chantel,

We are moving from Mauritius to Gaborone very soon and I was a bit worried about the problems from SA moving to Botswana you mentioned in your post?
Are you living already in Gaborone? If so, could you please let me know how is safety there? We too have children...
We moved from the UK to Mauritius and here we are used to be free.

Please any information is welcomed. It is very difficult to find info about Botswana on the internet!

Thank you.
Regards,
Maria.

Chantel2205 wrote:

Hi Christine,

Lovely place, we cannot wait to be there, it is so peaceful and laid back there. My brother lives just outside Gabs, about 10 minutes drive, and my parents lives in Phakalani.

They are telling us everything that we want to hear.. and off course everytime when we are there we experience it for ourselves, but we do not know what is really going on there.

What is the economy like, what does the future look like with Diamond Park that's opened?

What is the chances of the crime and the terrible rumours off what is going to take place in S.A, moving into Botswana? We have read a couple articles saying that the "thing" that is about to take place in South Africa will be affecting the whole of Africa, how true is this?

I am sorry for asking this, and I really do not have any desire to drag politics into this group, but we want to know the honest facts because after living in S.A, we want our children to be as safe as they can be.

Have a lovely day!

Chantel.

Chantel2205 wrote:

Hi Christine,

Have a lovely day!

Chantel.

HI
My name is Tlotlo moagi, am am a motswana na dhave lived in the country all my life. the "thing in south Africa has not come to Botswana yet, and i think that it will not e here for years to come. the only experience i have had relating to crime was when i was pickpocketed about three years ago at the bus station, the only thing that the person took was my cellphone. i didn't even know that it was gone untill i got home, and the was no violance what so ever.

there is a publication that comes out weekly called the Botswana Advertiser,in it you can find houses for sale and for rent advitised, and just about everything else , including second hand furniture and cars for rent or sale, land for sale,schools also advertise on the publication.

Am not sure bout the procedure for buying land from outside the country and i would not advise that you do it. There are people out there looking to make a quick buck and they would do just about anything to get there hands on it. you may find that you have been sold land belonging to someone else or worse that is none existant. but there are ligitimate estate agents who can help you with the process.

About the economy, our leans heavily on the mining of diamonds which  the past couple of years have shown is not the best of situations. diamond sales hit botton during the recession and government revenue was greatly affected. diamonds trading makes for more than 50%  of the governmet revenue. Strategies are being reviewed to diversify the economy, areas such as Agriculture, and tourism are being assessed to see what can be done to reduce the reliance on diamonds.

Hi,
I've been living in Gabs now for about 3 months. My husband and I both moved here from the US.  We did a lot of research before making the move ourselves.  We had a lot of difficulty finding information on the internet about Botswana. Other big expat destinations had tons of information and blogs, but information on Botswana was very limited. 

Now that we are here, it is much easier to get information. There are some issues of crime (as I would imagine any city would have) but overall, we feel 'safe'. The people here are very friendly. Housing was difficult as we found that rentals went very fast. We shipped our goods from the US and did not have a problem in the regard.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here.

Hi! I am a Tanzanian planning to move and live in Botswana. I am a teacher by profession with first degree in Business Studies and Education. I am currently living in Dar es Salaam the capital of Tanzania.

I understand and believe that Botswana is a prety country to live and make good friends.

mmnyazi