Difficulty finding a job

All,

When you first arrived to Vietnam, did you have a hard time finding a job?

What advice can you give to new arrival?  How did you network to obtain your first job?  Any tips?

Thanks,

Tin Tin

Guy,

Sign in to vietna works.com n search for English teacher. The most useful site I think, for expat to look for a easiest job in Vietnam.

John

Its not always easy to find a job, depends on the season, the work market, the economy... It can change from months to months. You can be lucky and find something right away if there is a need in your field, or may have to wait a long time before having any offer for foreigner. To increase your chance of finding a job you need to have something more to offer than regular Vietnamese! otherwise why would they get the trouble of hiring you, so prepare your CV well.

Teaching English is always the easyest option for a foreigner, if its your first language and if you come from a English speaking country with university degree and TESOL certificate, with all this you can probably find a job within one or two months, even if you have no experience in teaching. In many English school they use foreigner to practice speaking, the writing is tought by a Vietnamese teacher. 

Also, you are not alone, mosxADF

It depends on which kind of job you are looking at. Some jobs are posted on vietnamworks.com but because they charge employers quite high comparing to other HR sites, you will find mostly high level jobs there.
Try a look here:
- This expat-blog. :)
- Craiglist, which you should take time to identify which is good job, which is scam.
- http://www.jobstreet.com
- If you know Vietnamese, I'll show you more.

To network, you should go to Facebook but it can take you long times if your friendlist is limited. FB is very powerful in VN. I use it for my work also. The second which is more professional is Linkedln.

Tips: as I say, it depends. You can be more specific about the job or you can pm me, I may have some options cause I'm developing a network to help communities in Vietnam regarding to jobs.

Hope it can help.