Arabian Homes or Fal Compound?

Hey....For those of you who have been to either compound....or have heard reviews...which is better?
Ive been getting mixed reviews about both and its really difficult to judge sitting here!
Ill be grateful for any advise.

Tc,
SF

I would not go to Fal, AH is good.

Thanks Nelson...
Just curious...why would you say that?
I have two kids under 5yrs with me so we are concerned!
Thanks

i have been to arabian homes in jeddah and it was really good...especially if u have kids as theres an amazing school within the compound.

AH is certainly very much better than FAL for families. FAL is more suitd for singles since they do hae a very large condo complex within containing studio and one vedroomed type apartments for bachelors.

Fal compound is like an Army barracks, it was built to house a large number of workers on a construction project a long time ago and has been taken over as a compound.

There is also a larger number of people from the same nationality there making a majority against the minority which can cause problems. Better to live in a compound with a good international mix.

I hope that came out PC?

AH was  built as a compound and is suited for families.

Thank you guys! That REALLY did help! Thanks for explaining Nelson.... I agree about a good international mix and yes that came out honest and PC :D

We have friends that live at AH and friends that have lived at FAL.  As a mother of two, I think that AH is a little more inviting.  Private, quiet.  The pools are shared by few houses and there are kids and families around.  If you are looking for more of a night life, FAL may be a better choice as there are more singles and also a different cultural make-up (the anglos (AH) tend to keep indoors and the southern euros/middle easterners (FAL) tend to mingle more freely outdoors.  We had a friend at FAL (single) that really enjoyed the night-life and social atmosphere at FAL.  Also AH is closer to the center of the city but FAL is closer to some other compounds like Cordoba and Arizona.  Sometimes the compounds have agreements with each other so that residents at one can use the facilities at another...For our family, we would choose AH.

Hope this helps!

I live on AH and have lived on Eid compound, I also have friends who live on Fal. I agree with the above about Fal, seems to be more suited to bachelors, indeed all the friends I have there are bachelors. I don't agree though that we Brits stay indoors, if you make the effort we have a lot going on. Maybe not at the moment in the summer months but certainly fromn September onwards. We have a new rec coordinator who starts in Sept and has two children herself so there will be lots of activities for the youngsters. There is a new restaurant being built at the moment and the feedback I have from my friends that visit is that the food is good. We are conveniently located for shopping, schools etc... I think for a young family AH is fantastic. Not that I am biased of course!! but I have lived here for three years and have been very happy.
Hope this helps.

Thankyou so much tinaolsson and sandy storm....your rewiews were really helpful...:)

Nelson17 wrote:

There is also a larger number of people from the same nationality there making a majority against the minority which can cause problems. Better to live in a compound with a good international mix.

I hope that came out PC?

AH was  built as a compound and is suited for families.

I think you were PC, although I don know who your talking about :P NOT. lol

wish you have a great stay in the Kingdom SF15 ;)

Salman

Thankyou Salman :) The work permit is taking sooo long i actually cant wait to move!

Tc,
SF

i've been entering to all compound for dj services and i prepared to live in oasis compound or arizona

Hi DJcue! Oasis compound.... mmm...havent heard of that one....could you fwd me the contact info please?
Thanks!

AL HAMRA OASIS COMPOUND Tel: 249 0440

Oops....sorry I was familiar with Al Hamra.... unfortunately both have a 20 month waiting list! Hope you enjoy your stay there! And thanks again!

SF15,

have you checked the compound list in the guides section?

Hi Salman...Actually I have.... Its been very helpful. Ive updated the list and added to it....im calling compounds these days ...that should also verify the numbers and rent range. Ill mail it to AllieCat when I'm done!

It sounds like most are full anyway right? I am calling them all this week if you have a more update list please let me know

Arabian Homes is good if you have kids, but Fal is good if you're a pot head. Haha.

Interesting comment Gabriel - are you speaking from experience?

SF15, welcome to the forum.  All of the compounds are nice and great for the family.  Ive been to each one and have many friends with young children on each one and they all seem to enjoy life. You will find that every compound has a waiting list so don't be discouraged by that comment.  But I would recommend that if you have the opportunity, come to the city and schedule a compound visit and a face to face with the Manager.   You will find your name gets moved up quickly if they like you.  Sorry to say, its who you know and if they like you - things will happen faster!  Just placing your name on the waiting list will not be enough.  And expect to pay 200,000+ SR per year for a 2/3 bdrm compound villa.
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.  Best of luck!
Regards,

CAF wrote:

Interesting comment Gabriel - are you speaking from experience?

Yes, I am.

hi everyone

could someone tell me how you get to visit these compounds if you are single, FAL as people say seem to be the most suitable. I've had no luck with dance classes. I live on an all woman's compound, time for some variety.

thanks in appreciation

Susysalsa

susana73 wrote:

hi everyone

could someone tell me how you get to visit these compounds if you are single, FAL as people say seem to be the most suitable. I've had no luck with dance classes. I live on an all woman's compound, time for some variety.

thanks in appreciation

Susysalsa

Do you mean you are thinking about moving from your sponsor's housing to FAL?

Alliecat wrote:
susana73 wrote:

hi everyone

thanks in appreciation

Susysalsa

Do you mean you are thinking about moving from your sponsor's housing to FAL?

no just looking for some social life, not easy here as you know.

Sure, I know :mad:

But you can't go to a compound unless you are invited, on a list to get through the gate, as I'm sure you already know.

If you're Lebanese go to Fal. If you're not. Go anywhere else. Yes I just said that.

I can get someone to get you in to FAL.. He is a friend of mine and wont say now to put your name on the list to be able to go in. Just send me a msg and I will hook you up with him.

Hi! This is a really old thread. I'm hiking if moving to Ah and want to know if there are good social activities for the kids, I have three boys and we homeschool so I need somewhere where there are things for them to do. Are you still there? Probably not!
Joanna

I live in Arabian homes, if u need any advise let me know.

Hi! Thank you. We have 3 kids, 10,8,5. I am teaching them at home so finding community for them is important for me. Do the kids have activities going on? Do the ladies socialize during the day, ladies meeting etc ?
We looked at the compound and we really liked it so far. Joanna

Hi ,I am searching for 1 bedroom or studio .

Hi ,Can let me know how much rent 1 bedroom or studio?

Hi everyone,

@ Amrmk85, could you please drop an advert in the proper section of the website so that you might get some suitable offers ?

- Housing in Riyadh

All the best,
Bhavna

Hi Everyone
I just moved to Riyadh for work and I'm originally from Jeddah. I don't know anyone here and would like to socialize with others ... preferably dancers if you know anyone? 🙂

I'm also a salsa dance instructor. I've been dancing salsa and some other Latin dances for over 7 years now and learned it while I was attending school for Engineering in the United States.

If anyone is interested in salsa dancing or class please lemme know as I pretty much would like to join any salsa event or group here in Riyadh.

Thank you
Saeed