Want to Start and Establish New Business in Brasil

Hello,
I am an Indo-European Businessman and looking to expand to Brasil this October.
The business is about Beach Accessories and Textiles.

I am looking for interested partners and people who can help / guide me.

Look forward to hear from any interested persons.

Perhaps more information would help here...

Do you intend to take up permanent residence in Brazil? Are you planning to apply for a VIPER Permanent Visa for Investors? What area of the country do you plan to start-up in? Do you already know much about the competition? Brazil has over 8000 miles of coastline, beach accessories and swim wear is a very competitive field, it's not going to be easy to find a niche market, you need to consider your product line extremely well.

If you are talking about a mom & pop shop, than the competition will be intense.  However if you are talking about upstream services, like manufacturing, import/wholesale, raw material processing, etc. then you might have a better chance.

If you are planning to invest in modern, state-of-the-art manufacturing facility, you can approach the nearest Brazil Embassy's commercial attache who will more likely then not be extremely helpful.

I have noted in my few conversations with the trade ministry here in Brazil, that they are helpful if you are going to invest in Brazil, and even more so if you are bringing in new technologies or field experts like engineers, process mgn, project mgn, etc.

It is more on the side of Importing and Wholesale in Brazil. Its a new unique product which we hope is receptive to the market. Is it difficult to set up a business entity in Brazil?
Thank you

Yes, it is a very bureaucratic and time consuming process to set up business in Brazil. It requires the assistance of both a lawyer and accountant for start up. One needs to apply for a CNPJ (Cadastro Nacional de Pessoa Juridica) number with the Receita Federal, register with the state government and obtain various business licenses on the municipal level as well. The process on average in Brazil takes 120 days whereas in most other countries one could start up a business and get all the necessary permits, etc. in 30 days or less. This is why many investors choose to buy out existing businesses here instead.

Thank you.
This information will surely be quite helpful.

Regards

To setup a new company is not always difficult. For example, I opened my company (web agency) in 4 weeks. But services companies are certainly the easiest ones to open.
But to setup processes/authorizations to import goods in Brazil will be certainly a very difficult matter. Horribly  bureaucratic and slow. Brazil is a very protectionist country.
Importations taxes as high. Transport cost are high (shipping, port fee, local transport) and slow/inefficient (ranked within the worst in the world).
I recently met someone who used to import products from France: his total import and transport cost was 200%. At the end, he stopped his business because of the cost and because of non-stopping bureaucratic headaches (like containers on hold at shipping port for ages).
It you are operating only in EU, you will be for a cultural shock. If you are operating in other "in development" countries, you can certainly imagine same things (or worse) happening in Brazil.
Brazil does everything to protect local textile industry. There is no much Asian clothes. It is why clothes are actually much more expensive and of lower quality than in EU (I am just back from a trip in UK and France).
So it is certainly hard to penetrate Brazilian market but if you have got the capacity, they are good rewards.

Import/wholesale business for most consumer items are quite a pain to start up, as what James and Bardamu says.

The starting up and registering is a long process, and the kick in the nuts (pardon me) is the taxes followed immediately by customs clearing process.

However if you are talking about setting up a local manufacturing business (meaning producing the finish goods) in Brazil, the set up time can be relatively fast and painless.  Plus you can negotiate vie a Brazilian lawyer with the state gov, for tax reliefs, priority clearance, etc.

The idea behind this (I think) is that if you are bringing finished goods into Brazil to sell, then you are taking jobs and money out of the local market.  However if you are manufacturing the goods here, then your business is considered an FDI (Foreign Direct Investment) which will mean employment for locals, funds injections and technology transfer.  All of which are what ANY government in the world wants.

Thank you for the Information.

Regards

i am interested.

Hola, estoy interessado, estoy em Fortaleza.

IN ENGLISH ONLY PLEASE DAGDA. If you wish to post in Spanish please click on the flag icon in the green banner at the top of the page and select Spanish in the drop-down menu to access the Spanish language Brazil Forum.

Your understanding and cooperation is appreciated.

Gracias,
I shall write you a Message regarding this.

Regards