Exciting times!

Hello everyone,
I am totally new to this forum. I am Mom to 4 and 2 yr olds, looks like we may be moving to Bahrain possibly in Dec to follow husbnds job.
I would really appreciate any help/advice with all aspects of moving abroad as I have never done it before, especially help with kids and schooling, and how and where you can meet people to make friends.
I would love to make some online friends who I can maybe stay in touch with when we move over so we are not so lonely.
Thanks in advance for any help.
xxx

Hello Lola, and welcome to Bahrain. Bahrain is a very nice place and you will find it home away from home. Being new to the country, I would suggest you go through bahrainadvisor.com , you can search for schools/shopping/etc in Bahrain, and if you have any specific question then by all means, I can surely help

thank you for your quick response I really appreciate your help. I will have a look through the website you suggest and will be back if i have more questions.
many thanks again.

Hi Luckylola, welcome to Expat.com :)
You already did the first step to look for friends by joining this website!
Check out previous discussions on the forum, I know other ladies are here who will be more than helpful I'm sure!
Good luck in your new adventure!
Cheers
Arlette

Thanks Arlette for your reply.
If anyone has any advice on schooling, what do I need to do to apply for places, and any recommendations for schools which follow british curriculum, all gratefuly rec'd.

I remember reading about St.Christophers some time ago.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Christopher%27s_School,_Bahrain

Also, upon arrival..at least from my own personal experience from more than half a life's worth of living abroad, your native embassy is always a good calling point if you want to meet other nationals. Many people follow their husbands or wives abroad and lack things to fill up their time with, particularly social events on the calender.

There's also usually clubs you can join which seem to attract a certain kind of people for social get togethers.

Hi

I moved here in February so here is some info I found:

I don't have kids but there are several schools following the British curriculum here (I have friends who team in some of them). St Christophers has already been mentioned, the British School is another. I believe both have waiting lists so contact them as soon as possible.

There are several ex-pat clubs, joining one gives you access to the others. I would join the one closest to where you live as you will find you use it a lot. The British Club for example has a pool, gym, tennis & squash courts and a library as well as places to eat and drink. See their website for info. britishclubbahrain.com/home.htm

Another website you might find useful is: explorerpublishing.com/liveworkexplore/bahrain

You don't say where you are moving from but I can recommend Whites if you need to ship anything from the UK. Their UK staff and Bahrain agents were more than helpful.

If you want to contact me directly please feel free to do so (susiefharris at yahoo dot co dot uk). I am happy to share our experiences of getting here.

Susie

Hi ,
I am Alexandra. I am french. I am moving to Bahrain 19th september. I am 22. I would like to meet some expat there.
kisses for everyone
Alex

LoLa !!!

I have couple friends who have kids, maybe i can introduce you to them. Tell me where you are from.

hi,
you can mail me at [email protected] and we could be friends.
josh.

good luck in bahrain