Living in Rosarito Beach, Baja Ca, Mex

I have a friend living in Rosarito that could help with some input.  Retired  author (and authority on austism). You can email him at ***.   Many many rentals are not listed on line.  And there are many at lower prices.  Jack can probably give you some good input. Good luck.  I prefer Playas my self.

Thank you!

Tell Jack I referred you to him.  Thanks.  Anne

Does anyone commute every day to San Diego for work ?. How's the idea?

kinda scaring me lol.

Many many people do.  You need  a sentri pass and be willing to leave very early am   5 or 5:30 to be at work at 8.  Cross in in 1 -2 hours but need leeway.  No sentri pass?  prepare for 3 hours in line before crossing.  Sentri passes are not hard to get.  Still lots of people do this every day to escape high cost of living in San Diego.   Another thought  YOU  take the trolley from the border .  Line to cross of course and 1 hour trolley ride to downtown San DIego.  Ultimate SD destination a factor.  Some expats have a older but dependable  car on each side of the border for commuter ease.    If you are  living in Tijuana proper, Otay Mesa has shorter wait times.  If you don't need the beach,   Otay Mesa has some nice residential areas and cheaper than he beach areas.  The commute is a drag but one does save money over living costs in San Diego.

Rosarito leads the state in murders per capita

ROSARITO, Baja California - Rosarito is the most violent Baja California municipality, placing first in the number of murders in 2016, with a rate of 56.02 per 100,000 inhabitants. This was revealed in study by Data4, with information from the National Public Safety System and the National Population Council.

The publication "Animal Politico" used this data to report the Top 50 municipalities for homicides in Mexico. Playas de Rosarito was in 13th place in all Mexico, and above Tijuana and Tecate, with 44.45 and 43.96, respectively.

The list is headed by the municipality of Tecomán, in Colima, with 116.80, second is Acapulco, with 115.57, and third is Manzanillo, with 103.87.

The statistical data is for the period from January to August, 2016, and it highlights a national median of 15 per 100,000 inhabitants, and Rosarito is triple that.

Tijuana is 15th on the list and Tecate is 16th. The municipalities of Ensenada and Mexicali are not on the Top 50 list.

Hotel entrepreneur and former mayor of Rosarito, Hugo Torres, expressed his concern for the high impact crimes which have occurred with greater frequency in the city, and this could stop investments if the governments do nothing about it.

"The situation here is different, I don't want to get into details, because they are already known or imagined," he said as he warned of the need for a change in direction and to correct what is wrong, because of corrections are made, who knows how the criminal groups will react, depending upon their comfort levels.

But the lack of action by the state and municipal governments directly impacts the residents of colonias, such as Misión del Mar, which has been involved in sectors organized by the municipal government so their voices can be heard, but the results have been the same.

Alexander Magnum, a resident in that area, said the crime brings desolation and that in Rosarito the problem is huge, and even worse in recent meeting with Governor Francisco Vega to deal with the crime issue in his colonia, they were startled to hear him say he was unaware of the problem.

He said everything from the government is just babbling, as they say they will help, but in reality do nothing as with the few police and patrols there are, they are not watching and not fixing anything.

He said robberies occur daily in his colonia, where a large number of foreigners live and who cannot find the door to have their demands heard.

frontera.info/EdicionEnLinea/Notas/Policiaca/04102016/1136114-Encabeza-asesinatos-Rosarito-en-BC-por-habitante.html

Thank you very much, I really appreciate the info. I'm planning to move out there by myself. I am 21 years & fell in love with the beaches and the low cost of living. Everyone think I'm crazy ! Cause of the idea

I moved to Rosarito but quickly opted to relocate to  Playas.   Small beach village, closer to  the border. Better beach front.  Better shopping for my needs  (now there is a Wal mart),  I had a safety incident in Rosarto but never felt insecure in Playas.  Closer to the" Beverly Hills" area of Tijuana.  Give it a look see.  Great expat group.

Jesus Juárez Torres wrote:

Rosarito leads the state in murders per capita

ROSARITO, Baja California - Rosarito is the most violent Baja California municipality, placing first in the number of murders in 2016, with a rate of 56.02 per 100,000 inhabitants. This was revealed in study by Data4, with information from the National Public Safety System and the National Population Council.

The publication "Animal Politico" used this data to report the Top 50 municipalities for homicides in Mexico. Playas de Rosarito was in 13th place in all Mexico, and above Tijuana and Tecate, with 44.45 and 43.96, respectively.

The list is headed by the municipality of Tecomán, in Colima, with 116.80, second is Acapulco, with 115.57, and third is Manzanillo, with 103.87.

The statistical data is for the period from January to August, 2016, and it highlights a national median of 15 per 100,000 inhabitants, and Rosarito is triple that.

Tijuana is 15th on the list and Tecate is 16th. The municipalities of Ensenada and Mexicali are not on the Top 50 list.

Hotel entrepreneur and former mayor of Rosarito, Hugo Torres, expressed his concern for the high impact crimes which have occurred with greater frequency in the city, and this could stop investments if the governments do nothing about it.

"The situation here is different, I don't want to get into details, because they are already known or imagined," he said as he warned of the need for a change in direction and to correct what is wrong, because of corrections are made, who knows how the criminal groups will react, depending upon their comfort levels.

But the lack of action by the state and municipal governments directly impacts the residents of colonias, such as Misión del Mar, which has been involved in sectors organized by the municipal government so their voices can be heard, but the results have been the same.

Alexander Magnum, a resident in that area, said the crime brings desolation and that in Rosarito the problem is huge, and even worse in recent meeting with Governor Francisco Vega to deal with the crime issue in his colonia, they were startled to hear him say he was unaware of the problem.

He said everything from the government is just babbling, as they say they will help, but in reality do nothing as with the few police and patrols there are, they are not watching and not fixing anything.

He said robberies occur daily in his colonia, where a large number of foreigners live and who cannot find the door to have their demands heard.

frontera.info/EdicionEnLinea/Notas/Policiaca/04102016/1136114-Encabeza-asesinatos-Rosarito-en-BC-por-habitante.html

Thanks for the information but couldn't find the link. I found only the list of the 50 cities with the most murders that leaving Acapulco number one and Tecoman #17. Here is the link http://www.animalpolitico.com/2016/09/m … os-mexico/ as far as Baya California only Tijuana #2, Mexicali and La Paz are in the top 50.
Could you give a cut and paste link for your information. Muchas gracias, GyC.

rickinsma wrote:

I am assuming that Rosarito has good internet service.  My biz partner is coming to take his wife to a medical clinic.  We will need to do business.  Is WIFI readily avail. or in the hotels normally-and reliable?  Thanks.  YES SMA is still awesome......

We lived in a condo in RB and had great internet, there are two companies and depends where on your address which on you can get.  We did a lot of streaming of movies, skype, email, and other things with less problems that we have here in FL with Brighthouse.

Cable mas or Tel Nor.   where is she going to be getting treatment.  IF Oasis of hope, Playas  is the place to lived.  Calbemas is best and cheaper than Telnor.  Great customer service.  HIGH SPEED.

Just found this site and hope to learn a lot.  We just signed a contract to buy a condo at RB La Jolla Excellence.  It is being built and won't be ready for two years, which works perfect for our retirement plans.  We visited in January and really fell in love with RB.  We plan to visit about every four months between now and taking possession.

That condo complex is not representative of the town of Rosarito Beach.  It is an expat community or will be located south of Rosarito proper.  A family member and her husband bought there about 6 months ago.  A completely different world than living in the 'real' Rosarito Beach.  Quit nice of course but it is for those who want the expat (living as one does on this side of the border as much as possible) experience.  Great golf.

anne stromberg wrote:

That condo complex is not representative of the town of Rosarito Beach.  It is an expat community or will be located south of Rosarito proper.  A family member and her husband bought there about 6 months ago.  A completely different world than living in the 'real' Rosarito Beach.  Quit nice of course but it is for those who want the expat (living as one does on this side of the border as much as possible) experience.  Great golf.

Thanks, that was our observations also.  We don't plan to hide behind the gates and have always tried to avoid being "one of those tourists" when traveling. 

To respond to some prior questions that I have read while trying to catch up on postings, my limited research and visits to RB have shown. 

No vehicle permit is needed for at least California validly registered vehicles in all of Baja.  You do need MX vehicle insurance, but you don't have get a permit or re-register your vehicle.

COSTCO seems pretty close to USA prices on some goods.  Most items were a little cheaper, some much cheaper.  We found better prices and fine selection at the Calimax.  The Comercial   Mexicana is supposed to be the best place to shop, but we never made it there. 

If you plan to cross the border frequently then invest in a SENTRI pass.  There are a couple of good apps to track wait times and clearly the SENTRI lane is faster.   We applied and are waiting to get the interview.  I understand it can take months to get your pass. 

Only comment I have on crime is just like in the US, some people make good victims.  I can't find anything showing RB is the "most dangerous city in north america" which I find really hard to believe.  The most recent State Department report I can find shows for the first half of 2016, nine Americans were killed in all of Baja, eight in northern and one in Cabo.

jamesr3939 wrote:
anne stromberg wrote:

Thanks, that was our observations also.  We don't plan to hide behind the gates and have always tried to avoid being "one of those tourists" when traveling. 

To respond to some prior questions that I have read while trying to catch up on postings, my limited research and visits to RB have shown. 

No vehicle permit is needed for at least California validly registered vehicles in all of Baja.  You do need MX vehicle insurance, but you don't have get a permit or re-register your vehicle.

COSTCO seems pretty close to USA prices on some goods.  Most items were a little cheaper, some much cheaper.  We found better prices and fine selection at the Calimax.  The Comercial   Mexicana is supposed to be the best place to shop, but we never made it there. 

If you plan to cross the border frequently then invest in a SENTRI pass.  There are a couple of good apps to track wait times and clearly the SENTRI lane is faster.   We applied and are waiting to get the interview.  I understand it can take months to get your pass. 

Only comment I have on crime is just like in the US, some people make good victims.  I can't find anything showing RB is the "most dangerous city in north america" which I find really hard to believe.  The most recent State Department report I can find shows for the first half of 2016, nine Americans were killed in all of Baja, eight in northern and one in Cabo.

The permits, or imports are for those going beyond the border states. You are right you really do need Mexican insurance, and you are also right about the violence being somewhat self limiting.
But certain states do have an increased risk for it, like Juarez, Guerrero, and yes even Baja. They have had that risk historically. If you are careful you can move through them fairly safely. Expat communities  also have risk. Where you have money, impulsive behavior and drug or alcohol use there is risk everywhere.

Hello paxvobiscum,
I am thinking to live expat life and I have considered Rosarito are,
I see you have one bedroom lving facility but if I would like to rent a house wich is in secluded are what would be my choice and what would it cost? I have similar liking of yours do not like junky life style but enjoy nature specilay the ocean and mountain.
please let me know in detail with my options.
regards

A gringo living in a secluded area in most any area  is a gringo with a bullseye on their back that says "here I am come and get me!"  Why would you do take that risk?

In 2006 I had just moved to Rosarito. Second day if you count the first day as moving.   I was a 70 year old blonde senior female citizen exploring downtown (no jewelry) no hand bag, 'when a local put a LARGE knife in my side as he tried to kidnap me. He had a companion at the curb in a van.  Fortunately at that moment two cops came out of the building I had planned to enter  and the would be criminals fled. The cops were on foot and did not pursue. I moved to Playas to a gated buliding on Del Pacifico near the Arch, immediately where I have been able to walk around safely (but carefully of course),  I forfeited the 4 month security deposit I was required to give on the Rosarito apartment I had rented but I was so out of there.  I have never had an unfortunate experience in Playas in spite of being with in a couple of blocks of "the fence" and the light house park where petty crime occurs by "hungry"  people  waiting to get across the fence.  I have no fear of walking to the light house park at the fence today.  I do no give handouts and I am very cautious around those would be" climb the fence" fellows.  I walk along Del Pacifico and then turn on to the boardwalk at the park and walk down to the Arch.  I also walk to the Frozen Yogurt restaurant between  the bull ring and the fence just east of the Light house.

Anne,
I was reading some blogs and all narrowdown the safe area as Rosarito Beach are compare to Tijuana,
I see you have selected the Playas are for security reason, I am considering to move to Baja and in process to select a good rental, can you advice regarding rent in Playas area if I want to rent independant house.
thanks in advance
Nikhil

You might want to check housing options on this forum also.

i've lived in playas de tijuana for the past 8 months and its been great so far. i go jogging every morning and hit the gym here next to the bull stadium.  i leave and come back at all hours of day and night and thankfully nothing has happened where i have been a robbery victim and no one has bothered me either.  but i did get bikes stolen out of my yard 3 months ago. i do remain vigilant and always observe everyone in my surroundings.  i also always carry pepper spray with me at all times and a tactical flashlight if i am out at night.    it seems safer here than downtown tijuana.  ive driven down to rosarito a couple times and i cant comment on that place but from my experience in playas, there are a lot of expats here and most are americans.  i hear there are a lot of deportees here as well but i not sure how true that is. i think it may be a little more expensive to live here compared to rosarito but i feel its worth it.  not to mention its closer to get back across to america and you dont have to pay all those tolls either. 

one recommendation i can make for all expats or even all people in general, is to read the book spy secrets that can save your life.  there is also an audiobook format,  there are really a lot of useful things in it that can and will save your life if it came down to it.

i live in playas de tijuana and my suggestion just like how i found my place is to come down ahead of time and rent an airbnb and use the time to look for apartments in person. they dont really use craigslist or any internet listings here so you need to just go walking and find for rent signs and call them. i also help manage my friends apartment on airbnb and its right on the beach if you would like to stay there.  just search airbnb in playas de tijuana and the headline for the listing is paradise in playas real beach front property. i would be glad to answer any questions you have and give advice if you need help. good luck!

nikhilmistry wrote:

Anne,
I was reading some blogs and all narrowdown the safe area as Rosarito Beach are compare to Tijuana,
I see you have selected the Playas are for security reason, I am considering to move to Baja and in process to select a good rental, can you advice regarding rent in Playas area if I want to rent independant house.
thanks in advance
Nikhil

i live in playas de tijuana and my suggestion just like how i found my place is to come down ahead of time and rent an airbnb and use the time to look for apartments in person. they dont really use craigslist or any internet listings here so you need to just go walking and find for rent signs and call them. i also help manage my friends apartment on airbnb and its right on the beach if you would like to stay there.  just search airbnb in playas de tijuana and the headline for the listing is paradise in playas real beach front property. i would be glad to answer any questions you have and give advice if you need help. good luck!

anne stromberg wrote:

A gringo living in a secluded area in most any area  is a gringo with a bullseye on their back that says "here I am come and get me!"  Why would you do take that risk?

In 2006 I had just moved to Rosarito. Second day if you count the first day as moving.   I was a 70 year old blonde senior female citizen exploring downtown (no jewelry) no hand bag, 'when a local put a LARGE knife in my side as he tried to kidnap me. He had a companion at the curb in a van.  Fortunately at that moment two cops came out of the building I had planned to enter  and the would be criminals fled. The cops were on foot and did not pursue. I moved to Playas to a gated buliding on Del Pacifico near the Arch, immediately where I have been able to walk around safely (but carefully of course),  I forfeited the 4 month security deposit I was required to give on the Rosarito apartment I had rented but I was so out of there.  I have never had an unfortunate experience in Playas in spite of being with in a couple of blocks of "the fence" and the light house park where petty crime occurs by "hungry"  people  waiting to get across the fence.  I have no fear of walking to the light house park at the fence today.  I do no give handouts and I am very cautious around those would be" climb the fence" fellows.  I walk along Del Pacifico and then turn on to the boardwalk at the park and walk down to the Arch.  I also walk to the Frozen Yogurt restaurant between  the bull ring and the fence just east of the Light house.

i've lived in playas de tijuana for the past 8 months and its been great so far. i go jogging every morning and hit the gym here next to the bull stadium.  i leave and come back at all hours of day and night and thankfully nothing has happened where i have been a robbery victim and no one has bothered me either.  but i did get bikes stolen out of my yard 3 months ago. i do remain vigilant and always observe everyone in my surroundings.  i also always carry pepper spray with me at all times and a tactical flashlight if i am out at night.    it seems safer here than downtown tijuana.  ive driven down to rosarito a couple times and i cant comment on that place but from my experience in playas, there are a lot of expats here and most are americans.  i hear there are a lot of deportees here as well but i not sure how true that is. i think it may be a little more expensive to live here compared to rosarito but i feel its worth it.  not to mention its closer to get back across to america and you dont have to pay all those tolls either. 

one recommendation i can make for all expats or even all people in general, is to read the book spy secrets that can save your life.  there is also an audiobook format,  there are really a lot of useful things in it that can and will save your life if it came down to it.

What are some nice, affordable areas for families, obviously security will be my #1 concern but I am perfectly fine living a simple life in a smaller place and looking forward to enjoying more time with my little family.  Any specific recommendations you might have?  Any other info about moving and living there would be great.  I am really enjoying reading your posts.  Thank you!

If you want a house....about 800$ might work.   Lots of rentals at all kinds of prices but near the beach or with an ocean view are more.   Secciones Jardines is near the beach but Secciones Dorado has ocean views.  Just find out what the previous tenant paid for electricity because that is what you will be paying for the first 12 months.   Good Luck.

It has been 3 years since your post . How is living going. Weather wise beach scene etc.

How long does it take to get to the first decent sized town in the States and San Diego?  By car?  By bus?

When I went to Playas ( I went first to Rosarito) in December of
2005 it was this sleepy little seaside village lots of empty lots
very few high rise buidlings over 3 or 4 stories.  Today it is a     
a thriving metropolis  with no vacant lots, lots of new buildings,
wal mart et al.  I  do not want to live there today. Bumper bumper
traffic there on the main streets all day long.  The new border
builidng crossing helps but still lines.  I  have been back  in Playas  recently and
no longer want to live there year around like I did for so many years.  Very sorry
that it has changed so much.   

I would like to find another sleepy little village on the ocean that
was like Playas of early years. Rental prices have gone up as more
expats want to live in Playas and Rosarito and still work in SD.  My former
daughte rin law and her new husband are building south of
Rosarito in a new development on a golf course. They plan to
move in mid 2018 from Palm Springs the last I heard.  They are both avid
golfers.

I loved living in Playas when  I could cross to shop often etc.
but not today.

Rosarito has changed so much also.   I had lunch at the Rosarito Hotel  recently.  Food is still good an dthe view  is great but too much traffic..... I am looking at  Ecuador or Seaspray in Vicitoria Australia on 90 mile beach.  However I am now 86 and making a major move like that is something that might not be the best plan for me.  I miss the Playas that I knew for so many years but today it is just too busy and too much of a 'city" for me.   I stayed barely a week in Rosarito when I first arrived in 2005.  It was not any place I wanted to live then and  definitely not now.   I still have the world's best dentist in zone Rio. And honestly I don't want to  any where that I can't visit him once a year.

I urged people to move to Playas as I loved living there.  I may have been too enthusiastic.....

By car it takes about 45 minutes to get across the border during non-commute hours with a sentry.  I have not taken a bus from Rosarito but from Ensenada it took us about an hour and a half.

You cross the border into San Ysidro. Small town. There is a trolley right there that takes you into downtown San Diego...about an hour. $2    Chula VIsta is a fair sized  town about 20 minutes by car from the border.

By car to San Diego is about an hour!  Interstate 5 or 805

You can go by  trolley to Union Station (Amtrak)  I usually go and come by trolley  but sometimes someone picks me up at the train station and we drive across. Lines can be long.  I would not recommend taking a cab to the border unless you just like to toss away money or have a lot of stuff to carry.

Good bus service from Amtrak to the airport.

Once across the border use a Taxi Libre NOT A YELLOW CAB. The  full time hobby  of Yellow Cab drivers is gouging Gringos. Taxi Libres are less expensive, each is owner operated.

Best Taxi Libre driver   011 52 1 664 228 1111   Speaks English , Seat belts not buried under the seats but ready to use, , honest, safe (doen't run red lights, speed, make rolling stops, et al) Only one I will ride with even if I have to wait.   Let me know if you need any more input. First time I hailed him as a
pedestrian in front on my condo one morninig....and I noted that he had a manicure.  That intrigued me and after a very safe ride WITH SEAT BELTS to the border, I put him on a monthly retainer so whenever I needed a cab, he would pick me up (not giving up his other  fares but would come when I needed him).  Best deal I ever made.

Crossing tho border into the US usually has very long lines except on Sunday mornings about6 am.
Sentri Passes are available but you have to arrange for those in advance I think I have never gotten one as I don't drive.  There is a special lane for medical emergencies.  I usually plan on at least an hour  in line to cross from Playas into San Ysidro.

Rosarito is a good 30 minutes using the toll road.  Ensenada is an hour from the border using the toll
roads.......those are IDEAL trips.....can be longer.  Always good to plan on longer times.

Pedestrians can use Sentri.  Many people from McAllen and US Citizens living in Reynosa have Sentri cards and yes you have to apply well in advance of first use.  BTW, bus passengers can use the Sentri line crossing at Mcallen (Hidalgo)

The one time we crossed at Tijuana coming from Ensenada, it seemed an hour from the time we got in line till we got to US Customs.

We got our SENTRI passes much faster than I expected.  We both applied in February and my spouse got called for her interview in April and mine came in June.  We both did the interviews and had our cards within two weeks. 

We haven't used them yet to cross, but following the UC-San Diego border crossing app it looks like times can be 0 - 60 min with average around 10 min. 

Only two downsides are we had to travel from northern CA to San Diego for the interviews and if you aren't driving your SENTRI registered vehicle you are limited to the longer READY lanes.

Hello,
Is there adequate medical care in Rosarito? Is the cost reasonable if you opt not to have private insurance?
Kind Regards,
Claudia Gilevich

Don't have any first hand experience.  But comments I have read the hospital that is next door to our real estate agent's office gets excellent reviews and cost seems cheap compared to US costs.  But then again anything would be.

There are many options for Medical care in Rosarito. You will not have a problem finding what you need.

A couple of years, I had a 2-night stay in the hospital my Mexican friends use in Zamora, MI, a city of around 150,000.  Treatment was excellent, service was superior and the food good.  The bill came to around $400 US.  That included X-Rays, lab work, medicine and food.  The room was a suite with a couch for a companion to sleep on.

Also a couple years ago, a friend from Zamora went to a hospital in Morelia, Michoacan, the state capital, pop. over 500,000, fearing she had ovarian cancer.  She had a large room in a hospital that looked more like an upscale hotel, again with a couch for a companion.  The diagnosis from the biopsy was an ovarian cyst which was surgically removed the following day and a specimen was sent to a lab the specializes in cancer diagnosis and the results came back negative.  The bill for everything including a 3-night stay was around $3,000 US.

Last year, I had a severe bout of pneumonia and was hospitalized for six days in the best hospital in Xalapa, Veracruz, the state capital, pop. also over 500,000,  my landlord is an MD.  The hospital was much like the one in Morelia.  The 6-day stay including labs and medication came to about $4500 US.  The meds in my case may have been significant.  Hypertension, high cholesterol, type 2 diabetes, allergic rhinitis, cardiac bypass 7 years ago.

If your credit card can stand a hit of those magnitudes and you don't have several pre-existing conditions that have to be treated while in hospital, you may not need or want private insurance.  At age 66, I was quoted $3500/year pre-existing conditions excluded.

I am on a limited budget and too impatient to deal with the bureaucracy and long wait time at the local IMSS (more or less $300 a year)  or Seguro Popular (free except for medicines that it doesn't carry.)  If I'm feeling the need I start as a drugstore, Farmacias Similares, which has a doctor's office attached.  People over 60 go to the head of the line but the wait is always less than an hour if I don't exercise the 60+ prerogative.  The doctors at the store I go to, there are 3 locations in this municipality of about 50,000, are highly recommended.  The last time I went, the diagnosis was probably a bacterial infection but since my temperature was low, the doc prescribed 2 weeks of antibiotics with the caution that I should go to a hospital if I didn't feel better in a couple of days.  The antibiotic along with acetaminophen cleared things up nicely.  That doctor visit was about $2.75 US and the antibiotic was $15.

Rosarito is close to the border and a tourist destination, prices may be higher.  But there are certainly enough American expats in the area that you'll find what you need in English speaking care.

I have lived in 2 places and had to have medical care in a 3rd.  Asking the hotel manager, friends and taxi drivers always worked out.

Dental goes something like a root canal, $150, crown around $140,

I know someone in San Diego who crossed the border to go to the hospital in Ensenada.  They paid out of pocket for a major emergency surgery.  Don't remember the cost.  Will ask and post.  I myself have a great dentist in Tijuana and will be getting an Optometrist there as well.

Ok got the info from my friend.  He had major emergency surgery on cysts in his liver.  He was jaundiced.  This was truly a life saving surgery.  Cost him $6,000 out of pocket at a hospital in Ensenada.  He had nothing but good things to say about the staff there.

If you pick top hospital, you're likely to have a similar experience.  After deductibles, $6,000 is likely to be less than with insurance.