Expat real estate

1- if I pay cash for condo or single home can I stay indefinitely in Vietnam ?

2- I have been reading comments about leaving Vietnam coming back frm Thailand and then getting another visa to renewed to stay again in Vietnam

3- for one thing I really think would be confusing is HOW do u get frm point to point F?

4- I have traveled around the world many countries BUT never lived in one

Can anyone clarify real estate factor if I purchase can i stay indefinitely??

Hi Sir,

Am Indie,
1, if you want to stay indefinitely in Vietnam, you will have to Permanent Resident Card (PR Card) from Immigration Department, even though you can pay cash or whatever.

Conniegradert wrote:

2- I have been reading comments about leaving Vietnam coming back frm Thailand and then getting another visa to renewed to stay again in Vietnam

3- for one thing I really think would be confusing is HOW do u get frm point to point F?

4- I have traveled around the world many countries BUT never lived in one

Can anyone clarify real estate factor if I purchase can i stay indefinitely??

Dear conniegradert,

You should separate Paper for living in VN (Tourist visa, business visa, temporary residence card) and living somewhere in VN.
1. For paper of living in VN. I suggest you to check information in some posts. If that is 1 time visa, of course you have to make a new visa when you back VN.
2. For buying or renting apartment: There is no more rights when you buy an apartment. You suggest you to lease an apartment/house cos you can just possess an apartment for 50 years.

Sorry I don't understand your 3) question

Regards

Connie!
If you are a Vietkieu you have a chance to get a VEC.
PRC is not easy to obtain  :)
About own house/condo in Vietnam, you may check related topics in the Vietnam Forum threads which already discussed several times.

That's her ENGLISH Morse code  :unsure

Dejavu.dot wrote:

Sorry I don't understand your 3) question

I apologize on point 3 to explain
- it seems so difficult and a lot of hasssle to live in Vietnam regarding visa

Sorry for not being clear & thanks for info

There are MANY conditions when purchasing a property, and they vary by province. YOU CAN'T BUY LAND - VietNam uses the Chinese system, similar to long-term lease.

Buying a condo is easiest BUT some condo's are garbage quality - especially in the plumbing and electrical areas.

There are sevral posts on this about a year or so back.

How do you go about shopping for real estate? I dont see to many real estate websites out side the big cities. What if you want to buy in a smaller village?

thanlan7465 wrote:

How do you go about shopping for real estate? I dont see to many real estate websites out side the big cities. What if you want to buy in a smaller village?

Smaller villages, bigger paper problems - unless you are married to a VNese - the government prefers Foreigners buy in the larger cities. As I said, every province has different rules.

Then you need a TRUSTWORTHY LOCAL lawyer who knows the territory AND the local registry office people.

Proceed very carefully before putting your money down.

Hey thanks Jaitch

Why buy a cow when milks SO cheap.  Renting here is ridiculously cheap.  I've met so many people here that have regretted buying.  Besides, it's not in your name anyway. You own squat.  I can't believe expats want to buy here.  But then again, places like Thailand ,Cambodia and Vietnam have never attracted rocket scientists.   A guy here recently paid $400,000 for a house , and he's nearly 70 years old. It's only a 50 year leasehold anyway. What the fuck was he thinking.  He'll be back in his home country in a nursing home in the next few years.  Take a look around at the quality of the "cattle".  A lot of expats here are bankrupt alcoholics, runaways, sex tourists and losers.   I rent an apartment with ocean views ' newly furnished and painted, excellent security for $250 a month.  I know a lot of guys here that have savages for neighbours and they can't sell.   RENT don't BUY.

Jaitch wrote:
thanlan7465 wrote:

Smaller villages, bigger paper problems - unless you are married to a VNese - the government prefers Foreigners buy in the larger cities. As I said, every province has different rules.

Then you need a TRUSTWORTHY LOCAL lawyer who knows the territory AND the local registry office people.

Proceed very carefully before putting your money down.

Sshhh!

I've got a bridge for sale in Vinh Loc.
The buyer can stay there for as long as they want.
It's at a good price.
PM me to my Nigerian email address because I can't seem to access my other accounts.

Yogi007 wrote:

I rent an apartment with ocean views ' newly furnished and painted, excellent security for $250 a month.

Where?

(I tend to agree with your entire post, BTW)

Hey Dan,
Nha Trang. Just about 5ks north of the Tourist area.
  I was paying $500  a month for a studio there., but if you move a few Ks out the prices drop.  I could get a nice house for $300 a month but I like the security of this place.  The tourist area in Nha Trang where most of the expats are,  has turned to crap.  It's a building zone now and just too touristy.  It's a bit like "Moscow by the sea" meets the Bali bogans.

Thanks for the input on buying real estate in a small village. I should expand a little. I would like to buy land so start a mini hotel on the beach off the tourist track... My wife is Vietnamese and all of her family is in VN. We were thinking of moving back there for several years, we live in California.... I am sick of the tread mill here in the USA... I have seen several expats with VN wifes that have done the the mini hotel business, they seem to like it.... But how do you find real estate in the smaller sea side Villages? I think the only way is to have boots on the ground....

Yogi007 wrote:

Hey Dan,
Nha Trang. Just about 5ks north of the Tourist area.
  I was paying $500  a month for a studio there., but if you move a few Ks out the prices drop.  I could get a nice house for $300 a month but I like the security of this place.  The tourist area in Nha Trang where most of the expats are,  has turned to crap.  It's a building zone now and just too touristy.  It's a bit like "Moscow by the sea" meets the Bali bogans.

Ah, ok.  I considered NT as a place to live, as I really love it there, but decided against it for a variety of reasons.  I'd love to have an ocean view, but I don't think I would be happy long-term there at this point in my life.  I could see it in a few years, though.

Yogi007 wrote:

Why buy a cow when milks SO cheap.  Renting here is ridiculously cheap.  I've met so many people here that have regretted buying.  Besides, it's not in your name anyway. You own squat.  I can't believe expats want to buy here.  But then again, places like Thailand ,Cambodia and Vietnam have never attracted rocket scientists.   A guy here recently paid $400,000 for a house , and he's nearly 70 years old. It's only a 50 year leasehold anyway. What the fuck was he thinking.  He'll be back in his home country in a nursing home in the next few years.  Take a look around at the quality of the "cattle".  A lot of expats here are bankrupt alcoholics, runaways, sex tourists and losers.   I rent an apartment with ocean views ' newly furnished and painted, excellent security for $250 a month.  I know a lot of guys here that have savages for neighbours and they can't sell.   RENT don't BUY.

It all depends how much you have in liquid assets.  The USD one-year deposit rate in Vietnam is 1%.  If the guy stuck his $400,000 in the bank he receives $4,000 a year or $333 a month.  I'm guessing that the $400k house he has bought would rent for more than $333 a month.  Here in Hoi An renting a house near the beach with land and a good sized swimming pool would probably cost you $800 a month or 10k a year.  That's equivalent to the interest on a capital sum of $1,000,000.  Buying a similar house probably costs $250k... not a bad deal if you have the assets and aren't planning to leave anytime soon...

Hi Yogi007

I've been looking at your post. which is nearly 4 years old, so I might jut be too late.

Where on earth are you renting so cheaply? Please let me know, as I want to come to Vietnam.

Regards
Electra

Rent and don't buy is the mantra. Only buy if you are married to a local who is knowledgeable about the real estate market. Renting a home can be cheap as long as you don't live in the commercial districts of Saigon. Otherwise, a small bedroom can set you back around $250 a month not including utilities in an alley somewhere in D1.