Moving to Edinburgh- need your help!

Hi guys,
I just made a last minute switch of postgraduate degree and now my girlfriend and I will move to Edinburgh by september 1st. Basically, we are forced to look for a flat asap, since I've read that its near impossible to find a flat during the festival. However, I have only two windows to come and look around in Edinburgh:

10-14 august
21-28 august

what do you think would be the best choice, considering the timing of the festivities, location of lodging (all hostels will be full probably?) and price of lodging (high prices because of the festival)? Is there a peak during august or will the whole city just be inaccessible for the whole month?

You're help is tremendously appreciated since we have no connections in Edinburgh!

Cheers,
Sam

Hi Sam and welcome to Expat.com Sam :)
Maybe a look on Edinburgh Classifieds -> accomodation section would help?
Good luck
Arlette

Hi Sam
If you really struggle it may be a good idea to stay outside the city. There is easy transport links to Edinburgh from all naighbouring towns. Good luck!

How exciting! I am sure you will love the city. It is a great place to be a student of any age and due to the fact there are several universities no shortage of help when it comes to fun and more senesible things like accommodation. There is a local listings mag called The List which has a good section for flat/accommodation also The Scotsman and The Evening News -you can access these  on-line and all have classified ads too.
There is a Hostel on Letih Walk - new, modern and very accessible for everything in the city it has literally 100's of rooms so you might be lucky for your dates...wwww.syha.org.uk If you go here, click on 'Central Scotland' They have 2 hostels in Edinburgh this is incredibly reasonable if they have availability I'd go for it. Metro is the one I would recommend as it is brand new!

Good luck!

Alison Craig

http://alisonsdiary.com

Hey Sam,

congrats on your move to Edinburgh! It is a brilliant city as you'll soon see. You should still be able to find some hostel accommodation online. I recommend Castle Rock and Edinburgh Backpackers on Cockburn St. I stayed there when I was visiting the city and then moved here because I loved it so much.
Those hotels are both in the middle of it all but as other people mentioned you can find hostels in Leith or just outside the main streets zones that may not be as overwhelming during August here.

Use gumtree.com for everything! You'll find your flat, friends, jobs, furniture, events, anything there. I can't tell you how much it's done for me. It's extrememly popular and quickly updated. I found my flat there and moved in without even seeing it. I am happily flatmated and love the place. I also found 2 of my jobs on gumtree that I'm very happy with. I'm going on a sailing trip on the western coast of Scotland which I found on gumtree, too. Check it out!

Best of luck,

Jill