Husband studying TEFL - what can be done in the meantime?

Hi considering an offer at the moment. Husband is studying for his TEFL but what can he do there in the meantime?

Hello SAM1CH  :cheers:

Kindly note that a new thread has been created as from your post on the Shanghai Forum.

As you are a new member could you please give a brief introduction on yourself and your project so that members can best know and guide you.

What kind of expertise do your husband have? You can check out our Jobs in Shanghai section and place an advert in a field where he wishes to have an employment.

Regards
Kenjee

He can learn Chinese.

I am not being facetious. If you become the primary (sole) bread winner and let him seriously study Chinese (5 days per week, does his homework etc) for a year then he will have something valuable to add to his CV.

This is of course in addition to whatever his current relevant expertise is.

If his current expertise is chimney sweep then I am afraid that even fluent Chinese won't help him

With the height of all the blocks of apartments, the chimney sweep must carry many poles with him. Could my husband be a caddy?

SAM1CH wrote:

With the height of all the blocks of apartments, the chimney sweep must carry many poles with him. Could my husband be a caddy?

Classy answer - I think I'm going to enjoy your posts.

I've never been to China but I understand they're going mad to get native English speakers into schools.
That in mind, perhaps he could put a few intro and motivational talks together, then peddle his services as one off visits to local schools that have no native speaker.
Of course, I have little knowledge of the situation out there regarding the laws on casual visits, but such things are pretty much ignored in Indonesia.
You need advice on this matter from expats with experience in your area.
Bonus - if he can get away with it, it'll provide valuable in classroom experience.
All he'd need is a powerpoint or two on a flash drive, and an ability to improvise when he gets to the school and finds out there's no computer and projector.
Power, confidence and an an ability to entertain are essential skills for this.