Work in Sao Paulo - for English speaking British

Hi everyone, could anyone give me any advice for finding work in Sao Paulo for English speaking British

Hello Darren.Brazil

Welcome to Expat.com :)

In which work sector are you seeking employment please?

Regards
Kenjee

Hello Darren,

Finding work in Brazil is no easy task for any foreign national, since laws here require companies to prove they've exhausted all efforts to fill job vacancies with qualified Brazilians before they can hire foreigners to fill them.

Despite what you may have ever heard about English being the "universal language of business" that's largely the propaganda put out by language schools. The fact is that English is not widely spoken here in Brazil (or any other South American country) even in the business world. Learning Portuguese is an absolute imperative in order to succeed. The language barrier is the single largest complaint among expats here; and the single largest cause for the failure of many to adapt to living and working here. So no matter what your line of work, if you have your sights on Brazil start studying the language.

With ONLY English you'll find yourself limited to working as a language teacher, at schools that pay near slave wages and find it hard to get by unless you're working long hours, since traditionally they only pay for actual teaching hours and nothing else. Also the language schools here do not offer any assistance regarding visa applications as many companies would.

Nothing beats a "boots on the ground" job search locally and the ability to attend interviews. If it is not possible to come to Brazil as a visitor first and do that, then your best alternative is to contact multinational companies in your field of expertise at home that also have operations here in Brazi. They may be able to help you with direct placement or at least put you in contact with the right people in their HR Departments here.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team

Hi I'm open to anything, I have a Business studies degree and a background in retail management, procurement in construction industry and my last job was as development director for a constitution company. I also have experience in other sectors.

Regards

Darren

Hello Ibussegeagan,

And could you inform the OP and the rest of us, does Blue Ocean Consultants offer prospective employees any assistance whatsoever in obtaining their VITEM-V Work Visa? For example, do they hire teachers under a CLT regime work contract; or just a "Contrato Particular de Prestação de Serviços" which would not qualify for a VITEM-V?

If the answer to this question is NO, then please don't hold out false hopes for members looking to work legally in Brazil.

Your response to this question would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team

I'm sure that you and your firm are well aware that working or studying while in Brazil on a VITUR Tourist Visa is against the law. The worker risks being requested by the Federal Police to leave the country within a specified period of time (usually 8 days) should he/she be found working.

The risks for the company hiring under these conditions are considerably greater.

So what you're saying essentially is that your teachers/consultants should either already have a VITEM-V Work Visa or have already applied for their VIPER Permanent Visa, based either on marriage to a Brazilian citizen or other permanent resident, or have applied based on having a Brazilian child - which are the only VIPER applications that carry with them the automatic right to remain in Brazil and obtain their Cartéria de Trabalho e Previdência Social CTPS? Is that correct?

Also it is worth notice that those who have applied for their VIPER based on "únião estável", while permitted to remain in Brazil during the visa processing do not like the others obtain the right to work until the visa is actually granted.

Thanks for clearing that up. It is appreciated.

No problem.  :-)