Leaving - moving on

well ladies and gents the time has come for us to say bye bye to Malta - we are leaving for a multitude of reasons and not one specific reason.

We have largely enjoyed our stay here for the last 6 yrs but as i have said many times - we knew it wasnt our final place.... and it is time for us to move on to a new adventure while we still can so we leave on Monday 28th July.

So we would like to say good luck to all and keep up the good work  - despite our differences and different points of view - sometimes quite heated  but the one thing that is true of all who "live" here in the Malta forum is that we try to help others.. and i have to say having read many other forums in the expat-blog stable - this one seems to be one of the most active - so well done to you all....

my parting advice for all the new arrivals listen and listen well to the advice given here  - these guys know what theyre doing and it will serve you well...listen and learn - take it all - consider it all and ignore nothing..

so bye for now good luck and take care of yourselves.

Goodbye and goodluck toon, thankyou for all the help and advice you have given to others, hope your new home is good for you, take care.

thanks rainbow3

I have read your posts going back some years on here and without a doubt you personally have already helped Linda & me have been very happy with your guidance, advice & information that you have given.

It is certainly an end of an era for you after 6 years and hopefully a start of a new one and enjoyable one for you too.

Thank you very much from us both and we do wish you continued happiness and good health for you and for yours.

Best wishes.
Roy & Linda :)

Sad for the forum,but happy for you.I have always enjoyed your informative and well balanced posts,and the witty and non judgemental way you wrote them,All the best for the future.

Oh no! We will be arriving sooner than planned - in less than a month's time. I was planning on hassling you about android boxes etc when we arrived! Lucky escape for you!

Thanks for your great posts - like Roy & Linda - you have helped us immeasurably even before we arrive.

Good luck wherever you are headed!

Matt & Maria

MANY THANKS GUYS  - APPRECIATE THE KIND WORDS  - hopefully i can continue the good work on yet another forum....

We will all miss you on the forum but I hope that you look back in know and again to say hi -)))

I wish you all the best on and in your new adventure. Take care and lots of luck and good health.

Best wishes
Ricky

Best of luck on your new adventure toon, you're gonna be missed here big time! Has been a pleasure sharing my thoughts and getting your advices in this forum and I can honestly say you were one of the person's I most respected here.

All the best and take care!  :cheers:

cheers guys

Advice on Melitta wont be the same. :lol:
Good luck Toon.

Safe journey to wherever you go and have a good life.

cheers

Hi Toon
              Just seen your post  :(   (touring through France with limited internet).

Thanks for all your help and wishing you well.
Are you all going?

Terry and Sheelagh

Me the missus and the pussy cat leaving  for other shores - Leigh has gone back to uk - didnt want a maltse gf..lol

cheers terry and sheelagh.... have fun take care both....

will be popping into the blog occasionally

my parting advice for all the new arrivals listen and listen well to the advice given here  - these guys know what theyre doing and it will serve you well...listen and learn - take it all - consider it all and ignore nothing..

that is what toonarmy wrote now when they are leaving Malta. Read it and listen well because he is perfactly wright. On this blogg you get wery good answers to your questions,

Tommy

THANK YOU TOMMY STIG.... APPRECIATE THE FLOWERS..

Hey Toon..........your status has just been upgraded from ViP to DUDE.

Just a parting question before you leave. Many moons ago you pm'd me with some 'figures' and a breakdown - knowing you to be a man of 'proper planning' would the same economics be extant in your new country of choice?

Good luck to you both and wish you every success in your new venture - I loved it there and even we considered returning to try it out for a few years.

Cheers Dude

Mike

yes Mike  - we are now in  our new home and loving it....its very very hot - much hotter than Malta....  and yes the same budgetary planning took place and its as always swings and roundabouts  - but overall there is not much difference in costs  - at worst its less than 100 a month more expensive.... so for us its negligible. We moved all the stuff we were taking with us via Maltapost and it arrived safe n sound in under 6 days  - so a big well done to Maltapost and Josef Sammut........

but for that 100 am happy to take the superb roads (first time on a real highway for 6yrs - wow) cleaner environment and superb beaches, mountains, no hooting of horns - no petards, no shooting from hunters, and no balling and shouting in the streets....and loads of parking

Hi Matt... Interesting to see that you are from Dorchester and heading for Malta! Sort of what we did but Malta via Spain via Brighton from Dorchester / Broadmayne ... but sadly due to various family reasons and illness, we had to leave Malta and head back to the UK but we still have many friends still over there (ex-pats and Maltese) and retain many regrets of leaving such a wonderful place!

Enjoy, enjoy... and the one bit of advice I can give ... don't think that you're still in the UK cos Malta does things in its own very unique way (and it can take some getting used to!)

MikeA

toonarmy9752 wrote:

yes Mike  - we are now in  our new home and loving it....its very very hot - much hotter than Malta....  and yes the same budgetary planning took place and its as always swings and roundabouts  - but overall there is not much difference in costs  - at worst its less than 100 a month more expensive.... so for us its negligible. We moved all the stuff we were taking with us via Maltapost and it arrived safe n sound in under 6 days  - so a big well done to Maltapost and Josef Sammut........

but for that 100 am happy to take the superb roads (first time on a real highway for 6yrs - wow) cleaner environment and superb beaches, mountains, no hooting of horns - no petards, no shooting from hunters, and no balling and shouting in the streets....and loads of parking

Thanks for that toon very, very interesting..............well that's me and the good lady sold. We had planned to spend a few weeks out there next summer, and we have now brought that forward to January - not to change our minds on our future, but to open up a few more options. What Rose found interesting was the flight time back to Malta and the very reasonable cost of airfares......it does, indeed, offer balance. Enjoy yourself dude (I'm sure you and your good lady are well qualified in that area) and be safe. Please keep popping in here........I may just have a few questions to ask of you in the future.

Edit: Oh! good luck for the next season (I'm sure you already have the necessary equipment to keep up with the footy), I can only dream of making it back to to the Hallowed Ground that is the Premier League

All the very best

Mike

Can i ask where is there? and is it really that much hotter than Malta?

I'm guessing Cyprus :)

and all the best Toon ... lots of Sats and IPTV to play with there !!!

if you go by the official weather stats possibly not  - but believe me it feels much much hotter.......

and yes Mikea your right it is indeed Cyprus..

it quite different here. and a very pleasant change

i must warn my family you're there they will put you in your place... !!!! they are good at listening as well..... :whistle:

mikea wrote:

Hi Matt... Interesting to see that you are from Dorchester and heading for Malta! Sort of what we did but Malta via Spain via Brighton from Dorchester / Broadmayne ... but sadly due to various family reasons and illness, we had to leave Malta and head back to the UK but we still have many friends still over there (ex-pats and Maltese) and retain many regrets of leaving such a wonderful place!

Enjoy, enjoy... and the one bit of advice I can give ... don't think that you're still in the UK cos Malta does things in its own very unique way (and it can take some getting used to!)

MikeA

Hi Mikea,
We are in a little village called Puncknowle - a few miles from Bridport. But not for much longer! Yesterday we booked our flights and will all be in Malta on Bank Holiday Monday 25th August.

We had planned to drive through Europe for a road trip with our dog Hannah - but have now decided to get over and start chilling - while also setting up a new business (pet grooming)

Now we've finally got the flights booked, the businesses (almost) closed and the house sold it is getting exciting!

Our situation seems to be opposite to yours - we are moving over to Malta primarily to look after Mum in Law who has been ill this year - but also for the weather and lifestyle. We are familiar with the place as regular visitors but am sure it will be very different living there! Still, personally, I can't wait!  :D

Matt

Well I'll be jiggered! For many years my folks lived at West Bexington and I used to help out at the Bull at Swyre (many a year ago when it was run by Bert Williams)

Truly wish you all the best in your new life on the island, every success with the new business and the best of health to one and all...

Mike A

Hello,
Sorry to see you have left Malta.
Thank you for all the very good advice given in this forum and for all the time (enormous) you have spent helping others.
By for now.
FMGL

toonarmy9752 wrote:

if you go by the official weather stats possibly not  - but believe me it feels much much hotter.......

and yes Mikea your right it is indeed Cyprus..

it quite different here. and a very pleasant change

Ooo and you will get snow ... Enjoy your new adventure X

Hi toonarmy9752,

thanks for all your participation and help on the Malta forum. The team and I really appreciated reading you.

Take care of yourself ... the best is yet to come :)

Good Luck on your travels! Where are you heading? Thanks for all your blogs. I have found them all really interesting and shame you are leaving as I am arriving!
Lesley

Hi Matt

Don't forget to let me know where your pet grooming business will be as I am coming over with my 3 dogs. Leave UK 26th and hopefully arrive Malta 1st September (Marsascala)

559lkm wrote:

Hi Matt

Don't forget to let me know where your pet grooming business will be as I am coming over with my 3 dogs. Leave UK 26th and hopefully arrive Malta 1st September (Marsascala)

Hi - I know it's a bit off topic - but just to let you know, we have changed plans and are now flying over  - arriving the day before you leave on the Bank Holiday 25th! I'll PM about the grooming - have a great adventure on the way over!  :)

See you on the island!!
Matt

How are you getting your collie over there?

I have a nephew out in Malta who will be able to advise on Android boxes and free TV channels

mikea wrote:

Well I'll be jiggered! For many years my folks lived at West Bexington and I used to help out at the Bull at Swyre (many a year ago when it was run by Bert Williams)

Truly wish you all the best in your new life on the island, every success with the new business and the best of health to one and all...

Mike A

Thanks Mike- we've been living in Puncknowle since 1998 but hardly used the Bull. (But very well aquainted with The Crown  ;))  It's still a beautiful area to live but it's time for us to make a change. Thank you for your good wishes and we send you the same  :)

Best, Matt

559lkm wrote:

How are you getting your collie over there?

Lesley - I'm confusing myself now! With the PM's and the forum posts - I trust I have now explained that Hannah is flying out with us on 25th August (but not sure that I did). She is travelling in the cargo hold and we are flying business class (I don't think she is impressed!) - we wanted the extra luggage and the airport lounge (since we have to drop her off a long time before the flight to the cargo handling people).

PS  - Please get your nephew to help out with Android boxes and the like. I've had a look at Yifi and XMBC but it's all greek to me!
  :)

the androids are easy to set up - may be a little strange at first but well worth the effort

and they work fine just about anywhere you can get a decent internet service  - working fine here in Cyprus with only 6mbps - running 2 laptops a mag250 set top box with ntv and an android box for archived movies and tv series  - and all the sport you could want.

Thanks for all the advice provided on this forum. Good luck and remember Malta from time to time...

Thank you - i dont forget Malta  - we spent 6 years there and enjoyed most of it