Residence permit in Berlin (i'm non-EU and my GF is EU non german)

Hi,

My gf and I have been together with for 2 years already. I'm non-EU living and working (sponsored) in belgium. She is studying a PhD in Berlin. It's time to stop this long distance relationship and get together, reason why i'm posting this here.

Is there a residence permit for partners? even if we are not married?

I just want to be closer to her without the hassle of looking for an sponsored job

Thanks very much

Registered (de-facto married) partnerships are recognised in Germany, but since you are not living together now, you might have a problem getting this through. Furthermore, to sponsor your visa, she would have to show sufficient financial resources to feed you (i.e. minimum approx. 8300/year per person, plus enough living space).
If this is not possible, you can either get a visa on your own merit (e.g. for work or study), or you marry her.

Hi Beppi,

Thanks very much for responding.

Not sure how easy is to get a visa on my own merit. Although what i do is kind of specialized (health economics) there is not a big market as of now in Berlin.

Also, i read that if we marry I would need to wait for at least 2 years to get my residence, which I can't afford as I don't have enough savings for this.

Thanks very much

I got a visa for my (non-EU) wife less than a year after we married. So, unless the rules have changes since, or different rules apply to you, it should be possible.