Help with relocation choice!

As I'm not exactly sure where to post this question, I'm putting it in a couple of places.  Feel free to tell me if this is incorrect, and I apologize in advance if I've done it incorrectly.

I'm looking for assistance in choosing a place to relocate with my family (husband and 3 children).  After much consideration, we've narrowed our search to Provence and Umbria, and though the move would not be until 2012, we'd like to decide soon so we can begin language classes. The trip would be for a one year duration, and we would save enough for the year ahead of time, so we won't need to factor in work.

I'm looking for further understanding about finding a possible place in Provence that would suit our needs.  If you can help with any of these questions, I would be so appreciative!

1) How much of a problem is pervasive tourism in Provence, and are there areas we can look where that is less of a issue? 

2) Any advice on cost of living?

3) We would put our children in public schools, any information about what that might be like?

5) How welcome would foreigners be? Any advice on how to soften our landing, or allow us to transition into a new community in a respectful way?

7) We'd be looking for a town of about 3,000-5,000, with a school within the town.  Any recommendations?

8) We'd like to decide shortly so that we can have 2 years of language classes to prepare before arrival. Our two older children  have been taking French classes in school since Kindergarten.  They are not fluent, but they certainly have the accent down (in fact on our recent trip to Italy, they struggled with not speaking Italian with a French accent).  Should their having this base influence our decision?  We'll be taking language classes together as a family regardless of which country we opt for.

ANY and all advice would so appreciated! 

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

"How much of a problem is pervasive tourism in Provence, and are there areas we can look where that is less of a issue?"

In a pretty Provencal village of 5000 souls, tourits will look around, have a drink and lunch, then move on. Then night will come and the centre will likely be deserted, apart from restaurants.

"Any advice on cost of living?"

I would look at a minimum of 40,000€ for a year, living quite simply.

"We would put our children in public schools, any information about what that might be like?"

The village school is the one you get. Your kids will get on fine - Americans are generally liked in Francem despite Homer Simpson (among others) calling them cheese-eating surrender monkeys.

"How welcome would foreigners be? Any advice on how to soften our landing, or allow us to transition into a new community in a respectful way?"

Accept that you are an univited guest in France - always be humble towards the French, tell them how much you love France, always start speaking French, buy all your food in local shops, don't complain about the size of fridges, washing machines, anything at all - you chose to come here, so don't complain, at least to French people. And hand out bottles of good Scotch whisky to as many French people as possible - starting with the maire in the town hall.

Your children will pick up French rapidly if you decide to come here.

Finally, if you choose a Provencal town/village chances are there will be a selection of Germans, Dutch, Parisians, British and other Americans there too - so you will have some expat help in settling in.

As you can see from my "name", I am happily settled here.