Worried how I'll do in South Korea

I recenctly visited Seoul and loved it. I met a lot of young people that were teaching English over there and this seems to be the easiest route to living in Korea. At the minute, I'm working as a civil engineer in the UK. I have an English A level and an engineering degree but I am not too confident on my ability to teach english to a class of people. Is it possible to succeed despite not coming from a teaching background? are there other options other than teaching English? please help?

Hi there

If u have an engineering degee and are working in your field, seems strange to downgrade to teaching. Have u looked around for engineering jobs? Are u on linked in? There's a jobs in korea group for professionals there. or maybe contacting headhunters?

Teaching takes getting used to but it's doable teachers in korea are not considered professionals.

Hello,

I would say at least half, if not the majority of people that come here to teach do not come from teaching backgrounds.  They have an enthusiasm for learning and young people, and often come away with new skills and a love of teaching.  I did have some teaching experience, but it was quite informal.  Now I feel really confident and plan to continue pursuing teaching as a career.

I have to agree with the above person though.  There are tons of opportunities for engineers here.  There is constant development, and the couple of people I know working as engineers here are making three to five times what the average teacher makes.

I would say try to stay in your field, but if you see teaching as a gateway to getting to Korea, you could always work for a company like CDI, Wallstreet (adults), Reading Town, Avalon, or any of the other large private schools where the lesson plans are already prepared and all you have to do is teach without trying to develop your own lessons.  Then you could try to scope out engineering jobs during that year for the future.

I have been teaching here for almost 5 years and I think those who have no teaching experience do the best.  The schools don't want or appreciate real teachers who want to educate children.  What they want are stand up comedians who can entertainn the kids and make fun activities and above all follow the school rules and do as you are told with questions or arguing.  Then you will succeed.

The hagwan( private academy) jobs don't need teaching experience (as a matter of fact they don't really want teaching experience)so you could do quite well, however, I'd look for an engineering job, as it will probably pay better and have better benefits.
Good luck

u can work  as civil engineer in korea.

i think it's better than english teacher

do you know more information?