Living in Hamburg

Hello from Cape Town South Africa!

I would like to love to hamburg Germany and have a few questions that I am hoping to get some insights on:

What is the average cost of living In hamburg? (Rent, electricity, transport etc)

Where can I research salaries for marketing professionals?

What are the average costs for furnished apartments close too or in Hafencity?

Celine

Look at www.numbeo.com for a lot of cost of living data on Hamburg and many other places in the world!

Thank you

Hi Celine,
Not sure how many of your questions were answered but I'll get you some info that I know.
Cost of Living:
I moved to Hamburg from the West coast of the last September so I took a real hair-cut on the dollar to Euro exchange when I transferred my money- so be sure to look at your exchange rate and adjust your savings accordingly. Also Deutsche Bank doesn't care if you've finished your registration as a foreign national or not- which means you can move your money immediately!

Flats near Hafen City very very very expensive actually in all of Hamburg its expensive to rent housing of any  kind. Here's a link to begin your search immobilienscout24.de/
unless you already have friends here, plan on at least 2 - 3 months before you find anything, of course unless you can pay over 1,500 Euro per month then of course you can get a flat asap.

transportation:
monthly adult pass for all buses, S-bahn & trains within the großbereich is about 83 Euro per month when you sign up with HVV and use the automatic pay plan

food at the market
cheap, but depends where you shop there are lots of fresh produce markets where you can get everything you need

electricity
expensive- compared to where I came from- just be careful and turn off anything when you're not using it. monthly bills for a single person run from +/- 25 - 35 Euro per month.

dining out 
depends i suggest you check out Yelp they've got some good tips for good + cheap food

salary for marketing
sorry I haven't a clue, would be a big plus if your German is at least a B1+ level

hope this helps

Hi Celine!

We have been living in Hamburg for eight years. I have added my two pence in below, maybe they are helpful:

What is the average cost of living In hamburg? (Rent, electricity, transport etc)
electricity - about 60 Euro a month for a three person household, but we use less than is estimated for this size household. Rent has gone up in Hamburg considerably in the last 5 years. We paid approx 1200 ('warm' which means including facilities costs, but excluding electricity) for approx 80 square meters, which was three rooms at the time. Now you would probably pay at least 1500 for this. It also varies strongly on where you are. Anywhere in Ottensen, Blankenese, Othmarschen, Winterhude, Uhlenhorst, Eimsbüttel, Eppendorf, to name some of the more popular areas, which also and very much so includes Hafencity, the square meter is significantly over 10 Euros. Hafencity, even eight years ago was already expensive (~2000 Euros for 80 to 100 square meters) and is probably more so now.

Where can I research salaries for marketing professionals? the manager magazine has overviews sometimes and might be useful. it obviously depends on what level you are entering at and whether you are working at a big company or a small agency. unfortunately we are both in unrelated areas.

What are the average costs for furnished apartments close too or in Hafencity? there isn't much close to hafencity as the centre of town does not have loads of living space - more offices. hafencity, as mentioned is expensive. and furnished apartments are rare here, mostly used by individuals , whose accommodation is company-funded. Unless you are not planning on staying longer than a few months i would recommend getting some reasonable furniture from IKEA rather than relying on finding a nice reasonable furnished place.

cheers,
cary