Your opinion on opening an Automotive shop in Corozal?

Can anyone provide their opinion on any obstacles you think we will face trying to open an automotive shop in Corozal?  We're heading there in September for our first visit but only for a week so I want to get as much knowledge as possible beforehand.  (We're hoping our eta for business opening would be Sept./Oct 2015)   Thanx!

Kim Carlson   re opening an automotive shop.    I do not think it will be possible for you to get a work permit in Corozal.   There are many Belizean auto shops here and the Belizean government would not give a work permit to anyone for a job or business that a Belizean can do.   If you were to open a shop without a permit, sooner or later you would be busted, fined and deported.    come check for yourself when you are here for a visit.   Belize has many rules and laws, which are arbitrary and enforced by whim.    The cost of the tarriffs on your tools and equiptment will be considerable.  When you go to check out getting a work permit, I do not think any government person will tell you outright NO, but they will stone wall and send you to another office and another and another, and you will still not get a permit, even tho no one will tell you flat no.    IF you were to get a work permit, it will cost about $2500 to pay all the fees, plus you will pay another about $600 to an "expeditor".    Plz save yoursef some grief & read these blogs thoroughly.    Belize is NOT cheap or easy or free from rules and regulation.   Belize is not like a No American country in the 1950's.    Belize is a low tech third world country.   Unless you have previous experience living in a third world country, with a very low standard of living for citizens,  high rates of illiteracy, and  corruption, Belize will be a surprise.  Belize is not for everyone.   There is much about Belize that is interesting and enjoyable.    I do not think it is possible to live in Belize without a stable outside source of income.   Best Luck

I also was interested in starting a business or working in Belize.  I read a lot of Expat.coms and forum posts, and talked with Belizeans and expats.  Almost everyone says to earn your money somewhere else and spend it here.  Starting a business anywhere can be challenging.  In Belize you will have additional hurtles.  My understanding is that after you become a resident you will be able to work, or start a business.  Residency takes, a minimum 1 year living in Belize before you can apply and after you apply you must stay in Belize until you are approved.  Some friends of ours have been waiting 6 months already.  So that is about 1-1/2 years without income, if you go that route.   Some things to consider before starting a business in Belize.  How much does a mechanic make in Belize? Will parts be available?  What duties, fees will I need to pay on my equipment, on inventory?  If someone doesn't pay, what do i do?  What is the time frame to have items shipped to me?  I have heard stories of it taking a year to get parts into Belize.  You know your business better than anyone else, so do the research.  There are a lot of great people on this and other expat forums that can answer questions for you.  When you come to Belize talk to a few local business owners here as well as expats.

Kin Carlsson & Phil Cole, getting a work permit and a permanent resident visa are 2 separate unrelated matters.   Getting a work permit is not related to permanent residency.    My husband has a work permit and got it with only a few months in the country.   Permanent residency has a 1 year residency requirement before application can be made and then it can take over a year of monthly nagging to make any progress.

I must repeat, an automotive business has is unlikely to get a work permit.  there are MANY automotive shops/business in Corozal that are just barely making it financially.   It is possible if you were to marry a Belizean and pay a very large bribe that maybe you could get a permit.   but then who would be your customers?    The Belizeans will not patronize a gringo if they have a choice between you and one of their own.   There are too few expats to support a business, even if all the expats came to you.   

I am sorry to cast a cloud over your dreams.   Best to wait until you have stable income from outside Belize, like social security retirement or a trust, then come here.

Hello Kim Carlsson

Kindly note that a new thread has been created as from your post on the Belize forum so as to help you get better interactions.

Regards
Kenjee

Anything is possible, some things are difficult, and it will not be the same as where you came from. That being said keep doing your research and due diligence towards achieving your dreams. Hopefully you will  find the right answers and be able to make it work.

Have you considered buying a business and hiring local people to help over thinking work permit? 

Also think about skills you have that stand out work wise. I know of people in different areas that were able to get hired somewhere or get their paperwork done legally and through proper channels because they had solid skills that were different and bankable.

Work visa...    pricey
Duties...          predatory
Labor rate ...   pittance
Competition ...plentiful