How are things?/air travel?

Assalam alaykum,
I would love to hear from expats and locals too about the current situation in and around tripoli.
How has this affected work and daily life?
Has anyone heard how long the airport will be closed?
Has anyone known of anyone that has recently arrived or expected to arrive in tripoli?
Did their flight get rerouted to another airport or delayed?
Thank you all for helping us to stay informed.

Im not  in Tripoli but this is what ive heard: 2 airports have been hit/bombed in Tripoli theu also destroyed 7 aircrafts and the control tower so it may b a while to put things back to normal.
No idea how long it's gonna take or how else you can fly into the country.
My advice to you is to postpone your arrival here tripoli is even less safe than usual. Please consider the matter carefully.
I too would like to hear from you guys from tripoli I hope you're safe

Thank you dear Jameela.
There are 2 airports in tripoli?
Or did you mean 2 in Libya?
I'm thinking I can fly into misurata, and maybe drive to tripoli.
My job says I will be OK.

From what air port will you fly in to Misurata, as this airport in not a International Airport,
There are two Airports in Tripoli,  The possibility that some flights might be rerouted to the other air port is a small possibility as the airport can not cater for international departures and arrivals.    >>>>> you other option is to fly in at BENGAZI AND RIVE THE 800KM TO Tripoli.......?

:( no, I don't want to fly into Benghazi.

I thought I heard that misurata would be taking international flights since tripoli is closed.
I also heard zuwara (sp?) would accept international flights in a few days but i believe it is in the west and the drive would take me through Janzour, where I have heard there is fighting and closed roads.
What other possibilities are there?
Can a person fly to Europe and take a boat to Tripoli?
It looks close but boats move slow so I'm not sure how long that would take.

From Malta a boat takes approx 48 Hr

But at this moment as today, There is lots of conflict in Tripoli, Misurata, Raslanuf, Brega up to bengazi, Philipines government have issued a demand for evacuation of their nationals from Libya,
UN have already Evacuated their staff,,,,,,

My Opinion is,, Do not Go to Libya at this stage

Manila orders total evacuation after Filipino worker decapitated in Benghazi

By Callum Paton.

Tripoli, 21 July 2014:

A Filipino construction worker has been found decapitated in Benghazi six days after he was kidnapped in the citys Gwarsha district.

The Filipino Embassy has now ordered a nationwide, mandatory evacuation of its citizens over the deteriorating security situation, Filipino community leader Dora Bathai told the Libya Herald. She said Fillipino nationals in Benghazi had been left stunned by the gruesome attack which she described as inhuman.

She identified the dead man as Antonio Espares, an employee at Kibra construction company, who she said had been kidnapped by masked gunmen while driving to work. She explained that Espares had been targeted because his assailants believed him to be Christian. His mutilated body was found yesterday.

Bathai said Espares killing was the most recent in a string of aggressive and intimidating acts perpetrated against Fillipino workers who, she said, were threatened on a daily basis. She explained that the foreign workers, most of whom work in the citys hospitals, were followed and often robbed when they left their homes. Everyday there is crime and harassment. Everyday there is a hold-up, she said.

Bathai described one recent incident where armed men had forced entry into nurses accommodation, stealing their belongings. She said she herself was regularly hassled at her own place of work at Benghazi Medical Centre.

Bathai said the treatment was appalling when it was considered that the Filipino workers made up the majority of Benghazis medical staff and most have not been paid for as much as five months. We have sacrificed so much, she said, even before the revolution.

They should condemn theses people who target the foreigners, she said. We are not rich, many of us make less than the Libyans. We are tired, we are exhausted and then we are targeted by criminals, she added.

The Phillipines news agency EFE reported that the Manila government has raised its alert level in response to the extremely unstable political and security situations.

The countrys Department of Foreign Affairs has told all 13,000 Filipinos in the Libya to contact its embassy in Tripoli for assistance and instructions for evacuation.

@jlockem~thank you for the info.

@kondreddi~that's very sad to hear. I hope that poor man is in a better place and that God gives his family some peace in this difficult time.
I have heard Benghazi is more dangerous.
But I just wish people everywhere would realize killing is not a solution.
I'm wishing everyone safety and the restoration of peace and order in libya soon.

Perhaps you could fly to Tunis and then to Djerba (Tunisia).  My husband just got back today from driving from the Janzour area to Tunis and back again.  Tunis is a long way and he spent the night there - that's why I suggest Djerba which is only about 2 hours from the border.  He said that there was fighting at the border on his way back but he was able to get through.  Things change day by day/ hour by hour and you need to be prepared to sit and wait until you get a chance to go.  Someone from your employer should come to pick you up at the airport and help you pass through the border control.  But truthfully, I think things are gonna get worse for a bit.  Fuel is a bit hard to come by and electricity is cut sporadically. Do you have your visa?  The central visa office was closed the last I heard.

I concur with everything said above Libya is way too dangerous at the moment for foreigners and not just in benghazi. Tripoli is just as bad and if your employers as telling you that you'll be fine they are either lying or fortune tellers... no one can guarantee safety in Libya at this point. As for flying through Tunisia it mY work but you may need a transit visa check first and yes the wait at the border is gonna be long and with temperatures way over 40 in Tunisia these days it's not gonna be nice. Plus they could close the border at any time as it happens often between Libya and Tunisia. Things are changing all the time and they make the rules as they wish they can totally decide to refuse entry anyway... no joking here. For your own safety wait before you make a move.

Come to Tunis airport you will find flight for Mitiga airport

Thank you again, Ch