Moving to Iceland? The basics - ADVICE NEEDED please!

Ok

In the next couple of years im looking to leave the uk an (EEA) country for iceland.

I am aware that i do not need a visa for work but that is as far as my knowledge goes TBH

I know after 3 monthes of working in Iceland you need to apply for a legal domicile and 6 monthes if you are unemployed.

I have been looking into these work away volunteer positions on farms around iceland. They require people to stay for 3-12 monthes to help out. You will get free board/food and will volunteer 5 hours per day.

If i was to set up a none paid job like this for 12 monthes BEFORE i went would i be able to apply for legal domicile on arrival? That way i could claim my tax card, and ID card. Is the national register and ID the same thing?

Would they allow me to apply for legal domicile if im not getting paid? Technically im secure till i can land myself a real job?

I have a load more questions but do not want to over load. So Hoping people will get back to me x

Hi, I suggest you check out eures.is. It's a website designed for EEA people moving to Icelanders, and Icelanders moving abroad. It's got information about registration procedures and the job market.

skra.is/kerfissidur/404/

I have had a good look at the link but some parts of it refuse to work. skra.is/kerfissidur/404/

On the subject i want to know about no less -_-

Ok so i THINK i understand a bit more. I can arrive in Iceland without a permit of any sort. I go to the EURES office and apply for an I.D card and residence. But i can only do that if i have money behind me? Any idea how much?

OR i arrive in Iceland and go to the same place and they will help me find work/housing and THEN once secure i register for I.d and residence? Once i have those i can then apply for Tax card and insurance?

Is that right?

It's been years since I applied for my kennitala, but based on what I've heard from others, you can't apply for it yourself. You have to have a bank, and employer, or the job office to do it on your behalf. If you are doing a volunteer position, how will you support yourself? I'm sure you aren't the first EEA citizen who has done a volunteer job on a farm in Iceland, so it may also be worth discussing how it works with your potential employer. If you set up a job twelve months in advance, there will be plenty of time to sort out the legality.

The kennitala is the Icelandic ID number. It's proof of your legal residency in Iceland and is needed for everything from library cards to doctor appointments.

Ok so i really need a secure home and job before i can apply for either then lol

From what im reading here the kennitala is issued before a bank account, tax card and residence permit?

- eures.is/english/work-in-iceland/moving-to-iceland/nr/19/ At the bottom of page.

I had heard you need money behind you to get one IF you have not got a job. Once you have that you are issued with a residence permit? Once i have that the tax card and bank account/health insurance needs to be sorted.

So i either need savings OR a job before applying for anything or i can get deported in 6 monthes (If unemployed)

this document is probably worth a read for you:
http://www.mcc.is/media/frettir/Fyrstu- … EN_web.pdf

Yes, you need a kennitala do to all those things. I've also heard you can get a kennitala with proof of funds but I'm not sure how much it is. Perhaps the document I linked above contains this information.

If you're coming from a European country with socialized healthcare, there's a form you can get there which provides information about your current coverage. This can be used to register in the health system, otherwise you have to buy insurance coverage for the first six months. More information on that:
http://www.sjukra.is/english/workers/

Thankyou! Will read now  :D

"Job Search in Europe with the E303

If you are unemployed and receive unemployment benefits can you go in search of employment to Europe and keep your per diem allowances. E-303 certificate gives you the right to receive unemployment benefits for up to three months while you are looking for employment in the EEA.

The main criteria for the issuance of E-303 is that you need to be completely unemployed and have received benefits continuously for four weeks before departure and not rejected job offer.
Confirmation of tenure and employment with E301

If you're seeking employment in another EEA country, you can get certified you have been insured unemployment in Iceland. This is done by applying E-301 certificate by filling out the form E-301 and return it to the Labour / Unemployment together with a certificate from the employers work you have been in the past 3 years This is possible if the person is entitled to unemployment in this country or not.

If the work has been in any EU country is also useful to obtain the E-301 certificate in any EU country which has been working for the return."

I saw this on a job search page in iceland and i need a bit of help getting my head round it.

am currently unemployed and have been for a few years hence why i wish to move to iceland. I am currently claiming housing/unemployment benefits in the uk.

Reading this i can claim uk benefits whilst living in iceland for 3 monthes. This i understand. But i do not understand the rest. Does it mean because im claiming benefits in the uk i would be able to claim after the 3 monthes in iceland?

Plus if im claiming my Uk benefits still, Im secure and could claim residence? Or does it not work like that?

Ideally i could get a job in under 3 monthes

As you are a EU citizen you can move to Iceland without any permissions. If you are unemployed in the UK you can gain unemployment benefits in Iceland for 3 months by bringing the correct forms. You will have to apply for ID number shortly after you arrive and that should not be a problem.