Temporary Resdidencia - first steps!

I can recommend Wilson Rood in santo domingo. He is American/Dominican  [email protected]

Second on property issues the best on the north coast is one of our member Jesus Garcia Tallaj. I will post his email in a minute. He also speaks fluent English.

Structural survey - if that is like an inspection - heck yes!!! Be right back with contact info.

Darn lost my response.

Lawyer Wilson rood for residencia in SD. American /Dominican fluent english. [email protected]

Land issues property best on the north coast is a member Jesus Garcia Tallaj [email protected]

Structural survey - i think so but ask Jesus he know so much more about that and Bob will weigh in on that too.

Thanks Planner

You are very welcome!

For those wanting to apply for residencia who aren't retired, working or an investor it doesn't seem possible anymore :-( I was going to apply with a letter from a Dominican friend but according to my lawyer immigration have tightened up visas a little..

Everything is still possible here.

Absolutely. But will that extend to the embassy in the U.K. who issue that initial stamp to allow me to come?

You give great advice 🖒

I did it myself and it was hell but some how completed the process.  Now the renew also major pain in the ** but now some is online finally.

Good for you!
I am doing it with my wife's help.
Catalina is a Chartered accountant here
& part Lawyer as well.
Without Catalina it would have been impossible.
She was arguing with them & went over their heads
a few times. That didn't help I'm sure.
We did it from Samana. Took 6 trips.
Good luck.

Its possible of course to do it yourself but for me not worth the hassle and headache.

I agree the $$$ spent were well worth it

Bob K

Is it possable to renew online without being present in DR.

I do not think it is Stan!

Probably not but check with a lawyer.

The applicant needs to come to the Immigration office at least once for the renewal process. New pictures are taken and the new card is given to the applicant.  The same applies for cedula renewals.

Thanks Maria. Thats what I thought. See you in December 👍

Your welcome Stan.  :)

You do not need to have them translated before giving them to the Dominican Consulate in the United States however they will then translate it there and there is a pretty sizable fee for that. That is what I did and they translated everything there, sealed it and then charged a fee but that was a few years ago so I'm not sure what the current fees are you would have to check with them.

Documents could also be translated in the Dominican Republic by a certified translator. This significantly reduces the cost of translations.

Consulates like to do the translations themselves since it's a significant source of revenue for them.

And anything from a "fee years ago"  may or may not be relevant now.

Yes the consulates count on that income too!!!!!

Awesome post with great information, thank you! What are some reliable english-speaking immigration lawyers I could contact about applying for the temporary? We live in the U.S. and have lived there for 7 years but we're not U.S. citizens. Thank you!

Never mind, just saw previous responses! Sorry, I'm new here :)

Excellent!!! Any questions let us know!!!

I am trying to get my residence there since I live in cotui Sanchez Ramirez area. You have anybody that help me there?

Hello there.
My family and I would like to relocate to DR (with as little headache as possible), could you please direct us to a reputable lawyer who specializes in temporary residency? I am awaiting the decision on 2 Veteran Affairs claims and social security, however, as of right now I do not qualify for permanent residency. I should have a determination from VA by December. but I'd rather not wait until high season to look for a place to live. My goal is to be as prepared. LOL, or as prepared as I can be. If there's one thing the army has taught me, it is to adapt and be flexible!

I do have some underlying questions, such as:

Are the costs the same if I go at this alone (using a lawyer only as consult) vs. having a lawyer handle everything? Keeping in mind, that I would like this done correctly...the first go 'round. I do have money saved for this new chapter of our life, as this move has been on the horizon for quite some time. With that said, I am not one for unnecessary spending, but I do believe in working smarter not harder. Any/all advice received will be greatly appreciated.

****Revision***

Sorry for the extra long thread. I did not see all the awesome information until AFTER I typed everything. since I am such a slow typist

Contact Wilson Rood (Billy) [email protected]

Its not worth trying to do this yourself!!!

Thank you for answering the repeat question, Planner.

We as well as our clients and friends all use Dolly who is located in Santiago and will hold your hand during the whole process.  Her prices are very reasonable as well
Dolly Cabrera
809-226-8550
809-307-3337 cell
[email protected]

Bob K

Thank you Bob I m gonna give Dolly a call to checkout her prices

Thank you for your service. I too am a retired Vet. I did 35 years with the Canadian military. I am a VFW life member as a result of service with US Forces. Planner has mentioned there is a Veterans group in the DR. It is something I hope to identify and hook into once I there as well. Best of luck with your planning and move......

Hello,

I was living with my family in Santo Domingo, then I had to travel to Malaysia to finish my studies and work. I was not able to come back to Santo Domingo and now my cedula has expired since the end of 2015. I was wondering if I will be able to come back to the country with my expired cedula or I will be banded from entering, because I heard that I need to pay taxes only, and if I need to pay taxes only how would I know the exact correct amount.

Thank you.

Answered in the other thread!

Hi
Could you please suggest a lawyer we could use. Thanks

Both Bob and I have recommended lawyer about 5 or 6 posts above!

Both do a very good job working with Expats

Bob K

Hello Planner,
Do you have new info n the process since your 2014 post and who would your recommend for a lawyer?
Thanks so much,
Wendy

Sorry Planner - I'm new to the forum- getting used to using the platform- I see your recommendations that you've posted recently. My apologies, Wendy

Her lawyer has a very good reputation working with Expats.
Planner is taking a bit of a vacation form the boards but she is monitoring the goings on so she may PM you

Bob K

Hello everyone,
Am I correct these are the steps (in simple “terms”) for visas?
1)Visit DR to check out country with a tourist visa- you can visit one or multiple times to DR in 60 days from the date of issue (which I presume is when it's stamped when you arrive on your first visit). The tourist visa form you can print off at home and show on arrival

2)If decision is to re-locate, start the process in your home country getting documents converted to Spanish (notarized) and send to respective government departments (as per government site instructions and that's been posted on this site). Time to get documents in order at home will take
??

3) once DRrecieves your documents it will take  10-15 days for them to process them

3) Once DR approves residency visa app, then one needs to return to DR to complete additional documents which takes ?? Time. In the interim you have a temporary residency visa-? Correct

Am I on the right track re: steps in the procedure?
Thanks,
Wendy

Closed