Temporary Resdidencia - first steps!

Yes certainly more complicated today than back then.  Glad the process is done.

Bob K

Great information Planner and what if married to a Dominican, how does that differ?

If married to a Dominican I believe you need to go thru steps for regular residencia then proceed to citizenship which your marriage gives you the legal right to.  For this ask a lawyer - I can recommend Wilson Rood (Billy)  [email protected]  He is in SD and speaks fluent English. His family is both American and Dominican.

Its on my list of things to do some day but not very high up. I could care less if I am a resident or citizen. My daughter is an Immigration Avocado in Puerto Plata so i guess I should do it someday.

Yup I think you probably  should......

One day you will need to.

Bob K

it would be nice to find a lawyer that doesn't cost $1500 to sit down with  much less do anything . I don't see why Dominican lawyers think charging a lot of money will make the Dominican look more attractive  maybe if people would Stop recommending these lawyers the prices would drop to the same level as they charge Dominican people for the same services.

I can't retire in the dominican  a single man unless I find a person to vouch for me. is that what your saying.

Actually my lawyer charges the same if you are black, white, green, yellow, Dominican, American, Brit, Greek and so on.

She will also take care of someone to vouch for you.

Bob K

In other words, yes, of course you can retire here as single.

US 1,500  is not a horrible price for this process and hand holding for a reputable lawyer.

Actually very reasonable.

Bob K

I'll throw in my experience just for grins and giggles.  We are currently in the process of official, temporary residency.  A few weeks ago, we handed in ALL the necessary information to my organization's attorney team.  Last Thursday, December 17th, we headed down to the Dirección General de Migración & Pasaportes (DGMP) and, after two hours staring at the people behind the glass windows, handed in everything.  We found out later that day that our marriage license had not been appropriately translated into Spanish.  This seems more than false because the Dominican Embassy in Washington DC translated the apostilled copy of the marriage license on December 18th 2014 at our appointment to secure our NM1 or Labor Visa that is good for a year (we've been in the country for the last year under that visa).  That wasn't sufficient for DGMP.  The officials here in the country stated that it had to be translated "in country".  That meant that all of the apostilled documentation that the Dominican Embassy in the US had translated now had to be translated into Spanish within the Dominican Republic.  This seems odd to me, but we had it done.  Upon that, they would "legalizar todo".  Once we had everything translated, they stated to us yesterday that the sized 2x2 photos of each of us (6 copies of frontal and right-profile poses) were not going to work for the immigration purposes.  Their reason, the background was not white enough:   The hue or shade of white was too "cream" in color.  It wasn't white enough.  LORD HAVE MERCY!!!  So, my attorney called me yesterday while I was at one of the Juan Dolio beaches enjoying my second day off from work and told me we'd have to have the photos retaken so that we could provide DGMP the photos this morning.  We cut the day-trip short, hauled our rear-ends back to the city, showered, and then went in search of a Passport-photo place.  We found one, and three hours later, we were in possession of the photos.  I met our attorney at DGMP this morning, and, after two hours of waiting, we submitted all of the paperwork so that we could later pay $RD 42,000 after all had been approved.  Upon approval, we can then go have our medical checks done.  However, my attorney just called me a few moments ago and stated that DGMP is now demanding to see the Presidential Act or Document that states the legitimacy of the agency for which I work and the fact that it is an NGO or Non-profit organization (this is not one of the required documents).  To me, it seems like they are trying to jerk us around and making up things as they go.  Thoughts???

Well my friend that seems to be what they do, make shit up as they go!!!!  I am sorry you are going through all this.

Merry Christmas to you!

Thanks Planner.  It is what it is.  I don't think, however, that they realized how aplatana'o this gringo is. :)

Hahahaha good for you honey!!!!

Buy a quart of Vasoline, You could have used half of it already.  Somtimes it is a relative breeze, you got a Tormenta.  Sorry for your distressful ordeal, but it soon will be over. Not all officials are like that & are actually helpfull.   Whem all is done, you'll have a tale of woe to relate.  A few libations ill soften the pain.  Welcome to the island of contrasts.

Sounds normal to me.  If you don't like what they say today leave...quickly before they remember your face.  Go back the next day, same stuff.  By them they think that they must know you from somewhere and may give you a break.  Sound strange?  What doesn't sound strange here?  Does it work?  Yup, sometimes it works...  Best of luck and Season Greetings to all...

Wow so normal for here :D  Many times not only does the right hand not know what the left had is doing but it does not even know it has a left hand :D

Take Gypsy's advice and have a few libations, enjoy your Christmas, and one day you may, or you may not, laugh about this absurdity.

Bob K

I agree.  It's frustrating, but I've come to expect it here.  I've come to the realization that it really isn't worth it to expect things to run efficiently here, rather the opposite.  I've found that if I go into a situation with this type of attitude (low expectations) here, then when something happens as it should or efficiently, I'm pleasantly surprised instead of sadly disappointed.

A great example:  Several weeks ago we had brunch at Denny's in Naco.  The service rendered to us was simply spectacular.  I commented to our server that I was extremely pleased and satisfied with the level of service she provided us.  I also bragged on her to her manager and left her a tip worthy of her service.  It doesn't happen every day, but when it does, it is a breath of fresh air.

Ah yes that is the attitude.  I've had to remind myself often to : LOWER MY EXPECTATIONS,  it stops me  from being constantly  frustrated and disappointed and creates joy when the opposite happens. 

I have applied this to my employees, the government, restaurants etc etc and wow,  once in a while I get surprised.... woooo  hooooo.

Welcome to the DR!
Expect NOTHING!
When you get something, anything,
you feel good. Patience grasshopper, it can be worse, as you
probably know!
MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL!
Salute!
Still waiting for my green card.
I just found out when I do get it, it
will likely be expired, oh well.
Tom.

Merry Christmas to all as well.

Yes attitude goes a long way here, and don't expect anything to "be like back home".  Is that not why many of us moved there to escape "like back home".  Still it can be frustrating when the simplest things don't go right.

Bob K

Thanks Bob!
I'm quite used to things not going right here.

What really bothers me is when you sit back
& see & read what goes on here, it's really frustrating.
Can you imagine this beautiful Island if things went
the intelligent way that they should?
It would be the best place on this planet!
Abinader interests me.
We'll see.
Have a great 2016 everybody!
Tom.

Great 2016 to you as well

Bob K

planner wrote:

US 1,500  is not a horrible price for this process and hand holding for a reputable lawyer.

It cost 7000.00 to bring a friend of mines wife to the USA, He did not want to do it himself. 1500.00 is not much for an attorney anymore. just wait until you have to pay the fee for marrying a Dominican woman hahahaha its not much but its funny

Tomas Cabrera wrote:

Thanks Bob!
I'm quite used to things not going right here.

What really bothers me is when you sit back
& see & read what goes on here, it's really frustrating.
Can you imagine this beautiful Island if things went
the intelligent way that they should?
It would be the best place on this planet!
Abinader interests me.
We'll see.
Have a great 2016 everybody!
Tom.

If americans ran it would be all messed up IMO

Army101 wrote:

it would be nice to find a lawyer that doesn't cost $1500 to sit down with  much less do anything . I don't see why Dominican lawyers think charging a lot of money will make the Dominican look more attractive  maybe if people would Stop recommending these lawyers the prices would drop to the same level as they charge Dominican people for the same services.

My daughter he is a attorney in Puerto Plata and she charges Dominicans and non Dominicans the same. Her rates have nothing to do with recommendations. she really does not need any. People have recommended attorney's to try and help make it easier for people find trustworthy ones. Sometimes rates go up because they hired additional employees to handle the additional work. Do you really want a cheap lawyer?

Bob K wrote:

One day you will need to.

Bob K

I will when the day comes. hahaha

Nothing, NADA is simple here ! Everything, TODO is complicated in the DR ! Attitude is key! but sometimes, it gets the best of you . After 7 weeks living here full time, I realized that we were so spoiled  in the US !
Happy Holidays everyone !

As my Dominican wife says, living in Dominican Republic is one big heart attack. hahahaha

Not spoiled by the US in fact I feel spoiled here.  It is all about attitude and what makes you "click"

Bob K

love it !! yes, your wife is right !! LOL

yes.. it's true too what you are saying Bob.. it's all about attitude !  Entonces... I still need to work on my attitude ! LOl  one day at a time !

Patience, contacts & of course, fat pockets help to ease the pain.  Not having fat pockets, I found that a few beers is much more efficient than Advil!  Remember Lao Tsu's advice,,, a single step.....etc

I think my questions are on topic but a bit specific.  I looking into the medical certificate confirming my  current health status- emphasizing no infectious or contagious diseases.  I call my primary care doctor and was told that his office does not issue any certificate. Other places referred  me back to my primary care doctor.  Is there an actual certificate or is it just a letter on the doctor's letter head?

Some of the requirement say a police report is needed.  But, the Consulate website in CA  (my jurisdiction) states the need for a FBI report.

I have contacted several lawyers in the DR.  Some did not respond to my e-mail.  Others responded but their cost was all over the place, from $1100 US to $2000 US.

The requirements seem almost overwhelming.

If you work with a reputable lawyer (cost should be about $1500US) and follow the "rules" it really is not that bad.

The Police report needs to be FBI or Interpol

Medical certificate is gotten here when you go for your required physical (Blood and Urine tests and a chest x-ray).  All done here.

Let us know if you need the name of a good lawyer who can help you with this

Bob K

I have exchanged several e-mails with the firm Guzman Ariza.  It has been the most responsive but it is also the most expensive, at almost $2,000 US.

I would appreciate the contact information for one or more lawyers that has a good reputation within the expat community.
Thank you

Yes that is a good firm and we actually use them for various things.

The lawyer we use as well as our clients and friends will hold your hand for the entire process, speaks perfect English and is very competent
Here is here contact info:
Dolly Cabrera
809-226-8550
809-307-3337 cell
[email protected]

Bob K

I might add she is a bit less expensive than the Guzman firm.

Bob K

Closed