Job offer from Kuwait University

Hi all,
My husband got a job offer from KU but it didn't mention health insurance and children education allowance
do you have any idea if kuwait university offer these benefits?
for those who are in USA how long it took you to get your documents ready and get the visa?
any help or ideas will be much appreciated

sakiasha wrote:

Hi all,
My husband got a job offer from KU but it didn't mention health insurance and children education allowance
do you have any idea if kuwait university offer these benefits?
for those who are in USA how long it took you to get your documents ready and get the visa?
any help or ideas will be much appreciated

I would ask the university about this. If it is not mentioned it could well be at your cost.

I have worked before in Kuwait University but as a TA so what I know about benefits for Professors is from what I generally heard from others but I know for a fact.

- Faculty in KU get free admission for their children in government schools (which are not bad btw), however, these schools are Arabic schools and probably are not useful for non-Arabs. You might ask them (KU) whether they give an allowance for children education if you don't benefit from the one offered.

- Faculty in KU get free accommodation in the Faculty Housing Campus which has free transportation to other campuses. In case you don't benefit from that or they don't have a place to offer, a housing allowance is given.

- Health insurance in Kuwait is public. So everybody here is insured and can benefit from the public health services. It costs 1 KD (approx. 3.5$) for each case (and by case I mean something like pregnancy and delivery). There are other insurance schemes that benefit from private health services but I don't know if these are provided for faculty members or not.

Hope this helps

We will definitely ask , thanks for your reply

Thanks for your reply, he was offered a housing allowance.
the only missing benefits were health insurance and children education
we have to ask them about it

justfedup wrote:

I have worked before in Kuwait University but as a TA so what I know about benefits for Professors is from what I generally heard from others but I know for a fact.

- Faculty in KU get free admission for their children in government schools (which are not bad btw), however, these schools are Arabic schools and probably are not useful for non-Arabs. You might ask them (KU) whether they give an allowance for children education if you don't benefit from the one offered.

- Faculty in KU get free accommodation in the Faculty Housing Campus which has free transportation to other campuses. In case you don't benefit from that or they don't have a place to offer, a housing allowance is given.

- Health insurance in Kuwait is public. So everybody here is insured and can benefit from the public health services. It costs 1 KD (approx. 3.5$) for each case (and by case I mean something like pregnancy and delivery). There are other insurance schemes that benefit from private health services but I don't know if these are provided for faculty members or not.

Hope this helps

[[[[

My advice: you definitely need a children's education allowance included and you definitely need health insurance included. I wouldn't consider accepting if those benefits are not included as they are standard benefits for expats working in Middle Eastern universities, not optional add ons.

Education for children in Kuwait is EXPENSIVE and if there's no allowance you could be in for some major spending. For example, check out the New English School, a typical English language school for expat kids. They charge approximately 3,700-4,000 KD per year for middle school and high school kids. You can generally see fees info on school websites, although some don't post it. Even really sub-standard schools charge a lot - I should know, I visited some of them. Charging high fees is not an indication of the quality of the teaching you can expect. If you have a couple of kids, you're in for some major expenses. So, in my opinion, KU should be willing to offer a minimum of 3,000 KD in assistance.  Other members could suggest what they think is appropriate.

As for health cover, this again is always included in expats' packages. The govt hospitals in Kuwait will be quite shocking to a Western expat, even the private ones are pretty dodgy at times. Some of the doctors we visited had us shaking our heads and we dined out on the stories for a long time. That's a whole other story. The health system in Kuwait is, in my opinion, very much hit and miss (more of the latter than the former). That's why Kuwaitis get paid by their govt to travel abroad with a companion when they need medical assistance, I guess. So, unless they want to provide you with health insurance, I would turn down the offer.

I should add that so far I've worked in educational institutions in 3 countries in the Middle East: private health insurance and education for kids was included at all 3 institutions. It's standard - not an optional extra. Don't feel like you're asking for something strange, it should have been included from the beginning. Don't accept if they are not willing to stump up.

Good luck. Kuwait's an interesting place to live.  :D  Let us know how you get on.