Hi all, new member

Been lurking on here for a while and as I will shortly, hopefully, be arriving in Riyadh thought I should sign up!

Just waiting to go down to London to get the medical and paperwork done for the visa and my new employers are expecting me to arrive end August, Ramadan causing the delay.

From reading various posts would seem that I am lucky in that my company are paying for flights, hotel and costs of medical etc. to come down to London.

Hi Maser,

Glad you decided to STOP! lurking and welcome to the forum :)

Being in the States, I didn't incur the medical /transportation/hotel expenses the Brits end up having to pay (my Welsh colleague told me and I was shocked because all I had to do was drive ten minutes to my primary care physician while she had to make trips to London).

This will be my second Ramadan here.  It's a difficult time for non-Muslims because we have to keep the same working hours but  can't go food shopping or anything during the week till after 9 at night.  This is a real pain in the b*m lol

Welcome to the forum, so glad you will be joining us!

Thanks guys,

Lived in Riyadh in the early 90's and know what you mean about Ramadan, saying that ended up at a lot of parties where I was the only westerner but had a great time!

One thing that I really noticed when I was out for my interview is the way Riyadh has changed and grown massively.

Things moving forward as just had my medical and documents being submitted for visa.

My company are using Harley Medic, anybody have experience of them?

It's the one I've seen mentioned in this blog for those in the UK.  Plus my colleague here used them.  They're competent.

Hi Maser

Welcome to KSA - rather stay home until Ramadan passess over and we'll see you in September. Nice car!

Sparrow wrote:

Hi Maser

Welcome to KSA - rather stay home until Ramadan passess over and we'll see you in September. Nice car!

Thanks, shame I can't bring it over :)

Welcome to KSA man, wish you good luck and safe arrival :)

Sparrow, youve got a great mode of transporattion on your profile pic, too

Musicman, I just miss my country. This resting warthog is the most ugliest, prehistorical looking animal ever to admire and they hold together such a strong family bond. And because they're so ugly they have a special place in my heart. Cute buns dont you think!

oh, I thought it was a vietnamese potbellied pig!

Always thought you used that avatar so no men would be sending you unwanted PM's :lol:

Hi All,
Just in the door.

Have been linked to a post in Riyadh, but have a family of young 'uns and a missus, so wanted to get the skinny on life in KSA, especially for the boss!

Any advice welcome.

Rickfox :P

Sparrow wrote:

Musicman, ..... Cute buns dont you think!

Oh that is too much:)

Welcome to the Kingdom .. in advance :)

Hope we get to see new faces, I'm already bored with Allie an Dave all the time. they are no fun... :P

@ Alliecat I dont get PM's from 'men' only mobile number's from young saudi boys' that I  have to block them...I could pass them onto the Eagles and Ravens.

@ Maserman, I still like your car! You're going to need to upload this photo on your mobile so when you weep for home, you can take a peek at your cab. Your choice of car here is a toyota or a toyota, white, silver or black; the only red I have seen was worn by a ferrari.

Salman Omrani wrote:

I'm already bored with Allie an Dave all the time. they are no fun... :P

You know, if we were going to take a vote on the most fun guy in the forum, Davie would get MY vote!!! (Nonzie's, too, I'm sure :P )   

:lol:

And I thought that I was being demure. :gloria

Alliecat, you know that you are not supposed to have Nonz's and my name in the same post. She is cute though. :whistle:

its that F thing again!! lol!!

Salman Omrani wrote:

its that F thing again!! lol!!

Yeah, don't you just :heart: it ?!?!

Sparrow wrote:

Musicman, I just miss my country. This resting warthog is the most ugliest, prehistorical looking animal ever to admire and they hold together such a strong family bond. And because they're so ugly they have a special place in my heart. Cute buns dont you think!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
All creatures great and small must be beautiful in some form or another.
Only thinking decides....

Sparrow wrote:

@ Alliecat I dont get PM's from 'men' only mobile number's from young saudi boys' that I  have to block them...I could pass them onto the Eagles and Ravens.

@ Maserman, I still like your car! You're going to need to upload this photo on your mobile so when you weep for home, you can take a peek at your cab. Your choice of car here is a toyota or a toyota, white, silver or black; the only red I have seen was worn by a ferrari.

Going to miss out on the Toyta as my company car will be a Chevy Caprice, but what colour I wonder? I wanted a full size SUV but was told that was only for people in the field:(

Alliecat wrote:

This will be my second Ramadan here.  It's a difficult time for non-Muslims because we have to keep the same working hours but  can't go food shopping or anything during the week till after 9 at night.  This is a real pain in the b*m lol

Hi all,

Allie, you mentioned that you cannot go shopping until after 9 during ramadan. Is this the case for weekends also? What else is effected during ramadan? Thanks.

I'm feeling sick today.. so imagine how much my procrastination will amplify. but I intend to write a thread about Ramadan.

all rights reserved idea ladies and gentelmen, but If ya feel like you wana do it. go ahead :D

Salman

Salman Omrani wrote:

I intend to write a thread about Ramadan.

I'll believe it when I see it! :P

@ Maserman - ask for a Hummer. Tell them its for the desert rides. Your Chevy Capri will be white - trust me!. Cant bet cos its illegal. Your thread has been hijacked by pre-ramadan.

@ Salman - I want to know why I still have to work 8-9hrs a day and some and also told I will not be able to eat or drink and my colleagues all change to 6 hours shifts...please tell Salman. Dont get sick now all our nurses will be on 6hour shifts.

I had a procrastination once but the operation was successful. :dumbom:

I can't wait for Ramadan! The guys in the station will not be smoking all the day!

On an unrelated note, start looking to the skies, there is a rumor that the air ambulance service will be back up and running in the next few days (Prince Faisal wants it in place before Ramadan starts). I will wave to you guys from the wild blue yonder!

Sparrow wrote:

@ Maserman - ask for a Hummer. Tell them its for the desert rides. Your Chevy Capri will be white - trust me!. Cant bet cos its illegal. Your thread has been hijacked by pre-ramadan.

Better not be white! Now fuji bianco is a different story :D

procrastination - doesnt that refer to those protesting nationalistic groupies who love to CRASH to make their point?

Procrastination operation is a bit more private - the one Dave is talking about.